LaunchBox Community Forums

Is there a preferred way of importing and launching ms dos games

andy_d

I’m finding different ways of handling ms dos games but none of them seem to work. 

I can load the games just fine with scummvm. Can’t seem to do the same via launch box. Also is there a preference between scummvm vs retroarch

I've never used RA ScummVM but have used LaunchBox's built-in support for it.

To import:

ToolsImportMS-DOS Games.  I chose Add Folder and then selected the folder that held my MS-DOS games' sub-folders.  Followed through the prompts and when it was completed, selected a game and clicked Play.  Nothing else was needed to be done to get them playing.

Since you previously attempted using RA for your MS-DOS games, as a precaution you may want to (need to?) edit your RetroArch emulator (in LaunchBox) and un-check it as the default emulator (under Associated Platforms) for you MS-DOS platform.  Do this before using the Import MS-DOS Games Wizard.

53 minutes ago, andy_d said:

Is it supposed to use Dosbox in that case? I tried the method you mention and it tried using Dosbox but a game failed to load.

Oh man! I am so sorry. It was a long weekend.  Yes, the above process is for DOSBox. Not ScummVM.

For ScummVM I've only installed 1 game. So did it the Manual route.  This time using LaunchBox's built-in support for "ScummVM". 😊

ToolsImportManually Add game.

I typed in the Title and set the Platform to ScummVM.  Clicked Search for Metadata and it found the game.  ("King's Quest 1 - Quest for the Crown" in this case)

Went to the LaunchingScummVM section and checked the box Use ScummVM to play this game.  Browsed to and selected the folder that held the Game Data for this game.  Then selected the game from the dropdown combo box. (Listed as "King's Quest 1")

Clicked OK to save and exit.  Clicked Play to play it.   As with DOSBox mentioned above, nothing else needed to be done to get it to play.

The internal LB version of ScummVM mentioned above is FAR easier to setup if just want to get things going quickly; however, LB uses the older 2.2 version vs the current version of 2.8.  Some of the newer games ScummVM can run won't run under 2.2. You also won't be able to use RA core using this method.  If don't care about that, then definitely go with LB way described above.

However, you can use a standalone install of ScummVM that you can setup as separate emulator.  Although more complicated initially to setup you have the ability to control which version of ScummVM you use as well as easier to use the eXoScummVM package, or use the Retroarch core.  However, you cannot intermix the built in LB way of things and standalone, so have to decide how want to manage. 

Below is snap of setup for standalone version. Note the two check boxes for remove quotes and remove file extension.

Screenshot2024-04-01111022.thumb.png.b6d02cb004827ee452dbccb5f76000c7.png

Your default command line should point to your INI file in your ScummVM directory (or wherever you told it to install).  The "no-console" command tells it to not bring up the DOS window and the "-F" tells it to go full screen. 

-c "G:\Emulators\ScummVM\ScummVM\scummvm.ini" --no-console -f

Screenshot2024-04-01111313.thumb.png.f0b566d7ffe6d7757efb67c456fd1cdd.png

To run a game you have to place a pointer text file in EACH game directory of the ScummVM game main folder (this is what LB way of things automates). ScummVM command line looks at the file name and if it matches a game ID uses that to run the game.  There is a plugin for LB to help with the pointer files, but if only have a few games can do it manually.  The plugin can be confusing on the install instructions as they have not been updated for the more recent "DLL" version vs the older "EXE" version, so read the most recent comments first vs the main page. Make a backup of your INI files first before using the plugin. 

The pointer file (text file) uses the format of "gameID.ext".  The extension can be anything as we tell LB to ignore it; however, make it consistent.  I used "scummvm" (plugin uses "epicfail"). 

Screenshot2024-04-01112201.thumb.png.352629cf2745f0f77e48aef18bc3be9d.png

For example, the game "3 Skulls of the Toltecs" the pointer file will be "toltecs.scummvm".  If you also want also be able to run the Retroarch version of ScummVM in addition to the standalone you have to type INSIDE the text file the game ID only. Setup the RA core as normal. See attached example.  For whatever reason, Retroarch won't look at the file name like standalone ScummVM to decide how to launch game but instead looks inside the text file. Why they did the extra hoop is beyond me.

toltecs.scummvm

Game IDs can be found in the ScummVM application or in the ScummVM documentation (I found easier use APP).  The LB plugin does the IDs automatically but not sure if it is updated with most recent changes as apparently the ScummVM team has changed some prior games IDs on newer versions like 2.8.

Screenshot2024-04-01114015.thumb.png.44aae98612d75f050d28805662b2f081.png

You then import the text file as the "ROM" within Launchbox and then use either RA or standalone to run the game.  Disadvantage:  you have to override the game name to link to LB Games DB as LB won't (always) know what "toltecs" is when imports. 

As can see, can be time consuming initially so again using the LB internal version mentioned above is the quickest/easier way if don't care about older version and/or have games that version won't run.  Additionally, I would stick with "cherry picking" games and version you want vs trying to install every ScummVM game available.

Edited by sundogak
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, sundogak said:

however, LB uses the older 2.2 version vs the current version of 2.8.  Some of the newer games ScummVM can run won't run under 2.2.

You can update the 'built-in' version of ScummVM. 

Assuming this hasn't changed since it was implemented.

Version 6.4 - Released July 26, 2016
if you manually replace ScummVM in the future it will no longer be automatically overwritten

15 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

You can update the 'built-in' version of ScummVM. 

Assuming this hasn't changed since it was implemented.

Yep, used to do that but the drop down box for games isn't updated accordingly (at least it wasn't prior). Thus, the issue is the EXE can run it but LB didn't give option for the newer game set.  That could have changed as haven't used it in many years.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, sundogak said:

The internal LB version of ScummVM mentioned above is FAR easier to setup if just want to get things going quickly; however, LB uses the older 2.2 version vs the current version of 2.8.  Some of the newer games ScummVM can run won't run under 2.2. You also won't be able to use RA core using this method.  If don't care about that, then definitely go with LB way described above.

However, you can use a standalone install of ScummVM that you can setup as separate emulator.  Although more complicated initially to setup you have the ability to control which version of ScummVM you use as well as easier to use the eXoScummVM package, or use the Retroarch core.  However, you cannot intermix the built in LB way of things and standalone, so have to decide how want to manage. 

Below is snap of setup for standalone version. Note the two check boxes for remove quotes and remove file extension.

Screenshot2024-04-01111022.thumb.png.b6d02cb004827ee452dbccb5f76000c7.png

Your default command line should point to your INI file in your ScummVM directory (or wherever you told it to install).  The "no-console" command tells it to not bring up the DOS window and the "-F" tells it to go full screen. 

-c "G:\Emulators\ScummVM\ScummVM\scummvm.ini" --no-console -f

Screenshot2024-04-01111313.thumb.png.f0b566d7ffe6d7757efb67c456fd1cdd.png

To run a game you have to place a pointer text file in EACH game directory of the ScummVM game main folder (this is what LB way of things automates). ScummVM command line looks at the file name and if it matches a game ID uses that to run the game.  There is a plugin for LB to help with the pointer files, but if only have a few games can do it manually.  The plugin can be confusing on the install instructions as they have not been updated for the more recent "DLL" version vs the older "EXE" version, so read the most recent comments first vs the main page. Make a backup of your INI files first before using the plugin. 

The pointer file (text file) uses the format of "gameID.ext".  The extension can be anything as we tell LB to ignore it; however, make it consistent.  I used "scummvm" (plugin uses "epicfail"). 

Screenshot2024-04-01112201.thumb.png.352629cf2745f0f77e48aef18bc3be9d.png

For example, the game "3 Skulls of the Toltecs" the pointer file will be "toltecs.scummvm".  If you also want also be able to run the Retroarch version of ScummVM in addition to the standalone you have to type INSIDE the text file the game ID only. Setup the RA core as normal. See attached example.  For whatever reason, Retroarch won't look at the file name like standalone ScummVM to decide how to launch game but instead looks inside the text file. Why they did the extra hoop is beyond me.

toltecs.scummvm 7 B · 1 download

Game IDs can be found in the ScummVM application or in the ScummVM documentation (I found easier use APP).  The LB plugin does the IDs automatically but not sure if it is updated with most recent changes as apparently the ScummVM team has changed some prior games IDs on newer versions like 2.8.

Screenshot2024-04-01114015.thumb.png.44aae98612d75f050d28805662b2f081.png

You then import the text file as the "ROM" within Launchbox and then use either RA or standalone to run the game.  Disadvantage:  you have to override the game name to link to LB Games DB as LB won't (always) know what "toltecs" is when imports. 

As can see, can be time consuming initially so again using the LB internal version mentioned above is the quickest/easier way if don't care about older version and/or have games that version won't run.  Additionally, I would stick with "cherry picking" games and version you want vs trying to install every ScummVM game available.

Ok I'll give this a shot!

I'm ok with setting things up manually since I don't have a lot of games to add anyway. I was going by the epicfail guide but the instructions are problematic...even the last comment for the post from another user is invalid. It would be a helpful guide / tool but it definitely needs some cleanup.

But will give the manual route a try

Edited by andy_d

1 hour ago, andy_d said:

Ok I'll give this a shot!

I'm ok with setting things up manually since I don't have a lot of games to add anyway. I was going by the epicfail guide but the instructions are problematic...even the last comment for the post from another user is invalid. It would be a helpful guide / tool but it definitely needs some cleanup.

But will give the manual route a try

I used the plugin long ago when first came out to generate the files with Game ID in file name (so worked with ScummVM). Earlier versions of plugin didn't have Retroarch option.  Later the author added ability for RA format but you had to choose one or other.  So I just kept manually generating as didn't want to mess stuff up.  Initially I wanted RA for the shaders but now that ScummVM can now use (most) shaders I find I use native application for most part.   Once you get hang of how it works making text files, importing into LB and connecting/downloading media from LB DB becomes a wash/repeat situation.