LaunchBox Community Forums

Bulk Edit "Null" for Uninstalled games

Is there a simple way to bulk edit Windows games, that had been installed manually and NOT from a game store; that have been uninstalled to change the setting from NULL to Not Installed? I want them to still show in LB/BB, but as needing to be installed (not worried about the link working) like they do with ones installed by a game store.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, C-Beats said:

You can use bulk edit to change the installed field on all of them at once.

Yes Sir, but sure not what I am trying to accomplish. I am only wanting to change those that have been uninstalled to exactly that. Been a pain doing them one at a time with 900 of them to go through. There is no options to even use "null" in bulk edit. Either installed or not, ya know? When a new windows game is installed, wy is marked as "null? Thx for the reply @C-Beats

Edited by The Papaw

1 minute ago, The Papaw said:

Yes Sir, but sure not what I am trying to accomplish. I am only wanting to change those that have been uninstalled to exactly that. Been a pain doing them one at a time with 900 of them to go through. Thx for the reply @C-Beats

So select the 900 press CTRL+E, select the install field from the drop down, then in the check box check it until it's an empty square (for false) and then press ok.

Posted (edited)

When a new windows game is installed, why is marked as "null"? I dont want to change all 900 games, only the ones that were once manually installed that I have since manually uninstalled, without removing them from LB, that was my reason for asking,  So the media is left intact, etc. If that makes better sense

The xml shows:

<Installed>false</Installed> for unchecked

or

<Installed>true</Installed> for checked

or

but there is nothing for "null" the white box, I get all that, so not even a easy way to edit the windows.xml. 

Edited by The Papaw

13 hours ago, The Papaw said:

When a new windows game is installed, why is marked as "null"? I dont want to change all 900 games, only the ones that were once manually installed that I have since manually uninstalled, without removing them from LB, that was my reason for asking,  So the media is left intact, etc. If that makes better sense

The xml shows:

<Installed>false</Installed> for unchecked

or

<Installed>true</Installed> for checked

or

but there is nothing for "null" the white box, I get all that, so not even a easy way to edit the windows.xml. 

What I'm confused by is why the tool that does exactly what you're asking to do isn't acceptable to you. Also to make it null you simply remove that line in the data file entirely.

10 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

What I'm confused by is why the tool that does exactly what you're asking to do isn't acceptable to you. Also to make it null you simply remove that line in the data file entirely.

I'm sorry @C-Beats, I sure ain't trying to confuse or be a pain my friend. Heck, I ain't real sure how to explain it myself. ¬¬

I'll try and do some screenshots later today and get back with it. 

21 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I think it is a case of explaining why you need it to be exactly "null" as opposed to "false". 

Even null can be set in bulk edit. It sounds like @The Papaw is questioning why we don't set the flag for him like we do with storefronts, but the question was how to bulk edit them which is what this tool DOES and so I guess if that doesn't answer the question it may be worth restating the question to be a bit clearer on what the end goal is.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, C-Beats said:

Even null can be set in bulk edit. It sounds like @The Papaw is questioning why we don't set the flag for him like we do with storefronts, but the question was how to bulk edit them which is what this tool DOES and so I guess if that doesn't answer the question it may be worth restating the question to be a bit clearer on what the end goal is.

This is exactly what my end goal is to accomplish, but thought it would be something a bit to big to ask for. So I was looking for an easy way to do it myself without having to go through the 900 games one at a time.

I've tried to see if I might even figure out a way to do it with a playlist or filtering. I am wanting to make any games that I've uninstalled from the PC to no longer show "null" but show as false, like store front games do when they have been uninstalled, which then allows for the "Install" button and badges to work correctly in LB/BB

I know LB is somehow checking for the store front executable, if not found is changing the "Installed" or "NULL" field to "false". Even if I physically change a storefront game to "null, LB will automatically change it back to "false" when it see's that the game isn't installed, thus returning the Install button and badge in LB.

When I uninstall a store front game I get this (see yellow arrows):

00-store.thumb.jpg.643489bd57e76392ef5a66b2c9ec1ce7.jpg

When I uninstall a NON store game, I get this:

00-nostore.thumb.jpg.7f4e0c12d1367f609201106cbc3a9d2c.jpg

When I change the "Install" field from "null" to "false"

00-changed.thumb.jpg.a3f23b30e22e052d5132da190adbf732.jpg

I then will get this:

00-false.thumb.jpg.265c4865441765a4f27a0a03c0933af6.jpg

I'm not worried about the Install button working like it does with store front games, just displaying it and the badge. I hope this helps make things less confusing. If not, I sure am sorry for wasting ya'lls time 

When I bulk edit by "Installed", all I get is the single option to change, as @C-beats has stated, turn them all (selected) to "Installed", turn them all to "Null" or turn them all to "Not Installed". I completely understand that.

Edited by The Papaw

I share all the game media files on a NAS, I also sync many files from the LB Data folder to other PCs on the network, that's why I'm trying to figure this out:S. It allows me to show the other PCs on the network when new games are available but will need to be installed on that particular PC

Seems to work like @C-Beats is advising. 

All these games are local (not a storefront) and are marked as installed.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 4.45.29 PM.png

Bulk edited and changed the "Installed" box to be blank. (there are 3 options Checked, White Square, and Blank).

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 4.46.01 PM.png

Now they all show the "Install" icon under the box and the install button in the game details. 

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 4.46.35 PM.png

Posted (edited)

@Retro808 thank you Retro, I completely understand all that my friend. I am trying to filter out PC games that were once installed (manually, not from a store front). Later they were manually uninstalled. I want to change the Install field of them only. Or a way as @C-Beats stated, flag them only, like LB does for store front games when they are uninstalled.

Edited by The Papaw

3 hours ago, The Papaw said:

@Retro808 thank you Retro, I completely understand all that my friend. I am trying to filter out PC games that were once installed (manually, not from a store front). Later they were manually uninstalled. I want to change the Install field of them only. Or a way as @C-Beats stated, flag them only, like LB does for store front games when they are uninstalled.

My bad then. I think I am lost as what you stated is exactly what I did and LB is showing what I would expect it to show. I guess I am not understanding what you are wanting LB to actually show/do. So I will bow out and leave it to C-beats. 🤣

All the games in the first pic are normal PC games that are installed manually (not store front). You can see a couple games in the second row that are GOG games. I then uninstalled the first row of games manually. After I uninstalled them manually the data in LB (Install field) still showed them as "Installed". So I then bulk edited the install field of those games only to get them to show as "Uninstalled" (the install logo under the box is now red and the "Install" button in the game details returned). 

Posted (edited)

@Retro808 - I see in your first screenshot that the Broforce game does not show a badge, I can only assume the "Install" field was null when that screenshot was taken. After uninstalling the game, the install status was changed to false (not sure by you or the uninstall process, but for me it never changes by the uninstall process, it remains as it was after the game was installed, which is usually null). After it is changed to false however it is done, only then does it display the badge and button like in your 3rd screenshot.

Hopefully C-Beats understands what I was getting at. In a perfect world for my circumstances, a new field could be added to LB like how the wikipedia field works where the user could add a path for pointing to a games install executable. As much confusion as I have done here, I doubt anyone would vote on it in bitbucket xD

10.thumb.jpg.ca52c8d1c78d11ccbfdbc9e5726c2aa3.jpg

Edited by The Papaw