LaunchBox Community Forums

A gameboy filter I used now applies by default to every game for several systems in my collection

Reaper978

So I started using a gameboy filter and palette for gameboy games and everything worked right for awhile.  Now this filter applies by default to every game in several systems when using RetroArch.  Thankfully I can go into the RetroArch menu and turn off the filter manually for every game that is loaded, but of course this is undesirable.  I tried several fixes I could find in Google but this problem persists.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I noted that every time I start a game, it says “configuration override loaded“. Maybe this has something to do with it?

Edited by Reaper978

2 hours ago, Reaper978 said:

So I started using a gameboy filter and palette for gameboy games and everything worked right for awhile.  Now this filter applies by default to every game in several systems when using RetroArch.  Thankfully I can go into the RetroArch menu and turn off the filter manually for every game that is loaded, but of course this is undesirable.  I tried several fixes I could find in Google but this problem persists.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I noted that every time I start a game, it says “configuration override loaded“. Maybe this has something to do with it?

When you say several systems now all show the same shader are those systems all using the same core, ie gameboy, gameboy color, gameboy advance? If so it sounds like when you applied the shader you saved it as a "core override" applying it to all systems that use that core (or you may of even saved a "global override" meaning its now used for everything. You need to load a game that uses the shader, go into quick menu/shaders and click on the button that is a "remove override" it will be named differently depending on what sort of override it was.

In future you should be using "content directory overrides" for things like this, Sega is a good example of this, the genesisgxplus core emulates sg-1000, master system, megadrive, mega cd, pico, and game gear, you wouldnt want the same settings for all those systems, especially game gear and the home consoles, so you save a "content directory" override. This saves those settings for any game loaded from the same folder as the current game, so if you had a game gear game loaded in future any game loaded from that same game gear rom folder will get the same settings, but something from the megadrive folder wouldnt.

I’m thinking about posting this in the troubleshooting forum but am kind of afraid to do so after reading the “important: read before posting here” thread. I’m afraid I wouldn’t be providing enough information.

I really enjoy LaunchBox and I just want it to work right.

Ok thank you.

I actually overlooked the "override" menu within the quick menu.  When I went there I understood what needed to be done thanks to neil9000's post - I just set up the Game Boy emulator the way I wanted it and saved with "content directory override" and all the Game Boy games were set up the way I wanted.  It turns out that all my other systems had the Game Boy filter applied to them as well.  So I just set up each system and saved with a content directory override and most everything is fine now.  Thanks!

Now there are only two issues left that I just found. Setting up my Playstation emulator in RetroArch allowed me to save with a content directory override and the options were saved correctly with the game I was using.  But the other Playstation games were not saved that way.  I have a theory as to why.  All my Playstation games are saved in folders that are named the name of the game like this:

playstationlayout.thumb.png.342e0ae03e967a0cc590d9528c459883.png

So should I put all my .bin and .cue files into the same folder (the one called Playstation) and not have every game saved in its own folder?  I thought that might lead to problems which is why I didn't put all the .bin and .cue files into the same folder.

The second problem is with the Atari Lynx.  I load a shader and saved with a content directory override but the shader isn't used the next time I start up the game or any other Lynx games.

Alright, I'm glad we could figure this out and hopefully have everything in order soon.  Thank you.

58 minutes ago, Reaper978 said:

So should I put all my .bin and .cue files into the same folder (the one called Playstation) and not have every game saved in its own folder?

Do whatever you prefer. If you put each game into their own folders use a core override with the shader. If you put all the disc image folders into a single folder you can use a content directory override.

59 minutes ago, Reaper978 said:

The second problem is with the Atari Lynx.  I load a shader and saved with a content directory override but the shader isn't used the next time I start up the game or any other Lynx games.

Not sure what would be going on there but I would use a core override.

Typically I use core overrides rather that content overrides but content overrides can be useful if you use the same core for multiple systems and want a different shader for each.

Ok everything seems to be in order but I'm still having having the problem with the Lynx emulator in RetroArch not saving the shader, even after I used a core override.  Using the core override is saving other things though, like when I disable the bezels it saves that.  I guess it's not that big a deal but it would be nice because I found a shader for the Lynx that is apparently very similar to the actual Lynx's display.

7 hours ago, Reaper978 said:

Ok everything seems to be in order but I'm still having having the problem with the Lynx emulator in RetroArch not saving the shader, even after I used a core override.  Using the core override is saving other things though, like when I disable the bezels it saves that.  I guess it's not that big a deal but it would be nice because I found a shader for the Lynx that is apparently very similar to the actual Lynx's display.

You use 'save' in the shader menu for shaders, if it's saving other things then you're trying to use the overides menu to save the shader.

On 4/21/2024 at 9:06 AM, Rlad said:

You use 'save' in the shader menu for shaders, if it's saving other things then you're trying to use the overides menu to save the shader.

Aha! That did it! Thanks for your help.