LaunchBox Community Forums

Games launch from Launchbox, but BigBox says Rom not found

I am setting up Visual Pinball in Launchbox. I have about 20 tables imported. All tables work when launched outside of Launchbox. They also work when launched inside of Launchbox. However, when I start BigBox and try to launch a game I get "The ROM file you've specified does not exist."

Some additional context: I first started setting everything up with Visual Pinball in the emulators directory, and all the table in the "Visual Pinball\Tables" directory for testing. I have since moved the tables to my NAS, where all of my games live. When the Tables were on the local machine BigBox was able to launch them. When I moved them to the NAS I deleted the games from Launchbox and re-imported them from the new location. Everything seemed fine since they were launching from Launchbox. Then when I opened BigBox I got the above error. 

How can I troubleshoot the path BigBox is looking for the ROMS is, and why would Launchbox and BigBox behave differently?

BigBox uses the same command line parameters as LaunchBox does.  So they should be launching equally the same, in both.  The only troubleshooting I can think of is:

In BigBox, confirm that other games from different platforms that are also located on the NAS, work.

Make sure you're launching BigBox.exe from the same folder you're launching LaunchBox.exe (say if you have multiple installs for testing).

Test the same table as you had success with in LaunchBox.

Be sure to be in the same platform you tested in with LaunchBox.  (maybe you were originally doing tests in "VPX" platform, and your final one is in "Visual Pinball X" platform).

5 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

BigBox uses the same command line parameters as LaunchBox does.  So they should be launching equally the same, in both.  The only troubleshooting I can think of is:

In BigBox, confirm that other games from different platforms that are also located on the NAS, work.

Make sure you're launching BigBox.exe from the same folder you're launching LaunchBox.exe (say if you have multiple installs for testing).

Test the same table as you had success with in LaunchBox.

Be sure to be in the same platform you tested in with LaunchBox.  (maybe you were originally doing tests in "VPX" platform, and your final one is in "Visual Pinball X" platform).

Thanks for the reply. All other games on the NAS work, this is how I've had BigBox setup for years. I only have oneinstall of Launchbox/BigBox, so I am sure they are using the same settings. I only have 1 platform for Visual Pinball. I tried enabling debug logging but unfortunately BigBox doesn't log the game launch command, which seems like it would be really useful to add.

I figured it out. At some point in setting things up I configured BigBox to run as administrator to get around a privilege error when starting Visual Pinball. I guess When running as admin Bigbox didn't have access to the mapped network drive. I removed the admin check and now it's working.

• Game On 1