LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android - 1.14 Beta Thread

faeran

Hi everyone,

We are hoping this will be a quick hotfix type of release that will address a few issues that were lingering since 1.13. To that effort, we just released beta 1 which contained a number of fixes including an optimized startup process, aiming to bring load times back to pre-1.13 levels for users experiencing slow launches. If you were affected in 1.13, please let us know if your startup times have improved!

You can opt into the beta within LaunchBox for Android by going into Option and turning on the Update to Beta Releases option. If a beta release is available, you will get prompted each time the app opens up.

Full Changelog: https://www.launchbox-app.com/android-about/change-log

Beta 1:

• Optimized navigation sounds initialization for faster startup
  • Fixed rare crash encountered when entering an empty game list
  • Fixed unexpected crash occurring when navigating away from a settings page with no menu items
  • Fixed device-specific crash related to internet connectivity detection

Beta 2:

• Improved video handling for Custom Themes that remove the background or foreground video elements, automatically playing a video regardless of the user's View setting
  • The media download process has been optimized for smoother performance, helping devices with limited resources
  • Streaming videos will now automatically pause when your internet connection drops
  • Added media indicators to all default views, so you'll always know when images or videos are being downloaded behind the scenes
  • For Theme Developers: We've added new bindings that will give you more control over showing users when background media downloads are happening. Head over to the Documentation.pdf file in your Themes folder to learn more about these new bindings.
  • Fixed a potential crash while downloading game media, especially on devices with lower resources
  • Fixed crashes relating to the platform saving process
  • Fixed an issue where a screenshot may not have displayed under certain conditions
  • Fixed rare issue where where downloaded images on the games page wouldn't always display correctly until the view was refreshed
  • Fixed an issue where a video's audio might play unexpectedly

Beta 3:

• Improved stability when navigating game lists while game statistics syncing is enabled and while downloading game media
  • Resolved issue preventing touch interactions on some game views (introduced in beta 2)

Beta 4:

• The automatic media download feature will now download media for games that are visible on your screen
  • Fixed the media download indicator appearing incorrectly in some situations
  • Fixed potential crashes in filter sections like "Recently Played"
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, HugoBR said:

It fixed the startup problem, but I'm still experience random crashes while browsing games.

For each of your platforms, can you use the "Download All Missing media" tool, and then afterwards let us know if you are still crashing.

On 5/8/2024 at 10:46 AM, faeran said:

For each of your platforms, can you use the "Download All Missing media" tool, and then afterwards let us know if you are still crashing.

Didn't solve it. I attached the .XML files related to my ps1, NES and n64 platforms. Recently the app crashed while I was browsing the game list for these platforms. I'm using a Redmi 9s phone with Android 12.

Nintendo Entertainment System.xml Sony Playstation.xml Nintendo 64.xml

• 2 weeks later...

Beta 2 is out with the following changes:

• Improved video handling for Custom Themes that remove the background or foreground video elements, automatically playing a video regardless of the user's View setting
  • The media download process has been optimized for smoother performance, helping devices with limited resources
  • Streaming videos will now automatically pause when your internet connection drops
  • Added media indicators to all default views, so you'll always know when images or videos are being downloaded behind the scenes
  • For Theme Developers: We've added new bindings that will give you more control over showing users when background media downloads are happening. Head over to the Documentation.pdf file in your Themes folder to learn more about these new bindings.
  • Fixed a potential crash while downloading game media, especially on devices with lower resources
  • Fixed crashes relating to the platform saving process
  • Fixed an issue where a screenshot may not have displayed under certain conditions
  • Fixed rare issue where where downloaded images on the games page wouldn't always display correctly until the view was refreshed
  • Fixed an issue where a video's audio might play unexpectedly

However, be aware that we still have a bit of a nasty crash on low powered devices that we are actively looking into. If you do experience consistent crashing, let us know which device you are using, what exactly you did to cause the crash, which platforms you see it on, the view you are using when it crashes, whether or not you have images downloaded already or not, and whether you are using the video streaming feature.

• Like 1

Thank you guys for the update.

I'm unsure what happened, but I'm unable to scroll through or select games to play. I'm able to navigate the menus no problem, but it won't let me scroll through the actual games lists or select anything

4 hours ago, UnnUndrgrnd4114 said:

I'm unsure what happened, but I'm unable to scroll through or select games to play. I'm able to navigate the menus no problem, but it won't let me scroll through the actual games lists or select anything

If I'm reading this right, this is not something we've seen before. Are you able to provide some information on your situation, like which platforms you see it on, the theme and view you are using,, whether you are using the video streaming feature, whether you have media already downloaded or not for those games, and map out the steps you are doing and what exactly is happening.

5 hours ago, UnnUndrgrnd4114 said:

Actually, I think we figured out what is going on, and it's related to touch inputs. We'll have that fixed in the next update. Thanks for the report.

Thanks for the new beta update.

Something I noticed: the automatic media download is crashing my app when browsing games. Turning off this feature resolves the problem for now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, faeran said:

Actually, I think we figured out what is going on, and it's related to touch inputs. We'll have that fixed in the next update. Thanks for the report.

Awesome, thank you.

I determined the Bluetooth controller's unaffected, so I can still use it that way for now. Thank you guy's again

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bishop said:

Support for NetherSX2, please! 

NetherSX2 is just AetherSX2, should be able to select it as the emulator in the app and it work with NetherSX2 out the box. Or least did on my Odin 2. I don't remember having to change anything special for it.

Since the last beta update, Launchbox constantly crashes on certain systems. This most recent beta made things even worse. I can't scroll through 8-10 games without it crashing. It started even crashing now when I try to launch some games. I also can't scroll through games by swiping on the touch screen anymore either.

I'm on an Odin 2, all videos are stored locally, and I think I'm just on the Wheel with Two-Column Details. 

Launchbox is basically unusable now for me.

1 minute ago, sirchadofwick said:

Since the last beta update, Launchbox constantly crashes on certain systems. This most recent beta made things even worse. I can't scroll through 8-10 games without it crashing. It started even crashing now when I try to launch some games. I also can't scroll through games by swiping on the touch screen anymore either.

I'm on an Odin 2, all videos are stored locally, and I think I'm just on the Wheel with Two-Column Details. 

Launchbox is basically unusable now for me.

Can you try something.

Go into your LaunchBox\Data folder, move the Settings.xml file to somewhere outside of the LaunchBox folder temporarily, then open up LaunchBox and see if there's any difference.

Also, don't forgot to provide all the information within this post, which will be helpful to narrow it down.

However, be aware that we still have a bit of a nasty crash on low powered devices that we are actively looking into. If you do experience consistent crashing, let us know which device you are using, what exactly you did to cause the crash, which platforms you see it on, the view you are using when it crashes, whether or not you have images downloaded already or not, and whether you are using the video streaming feature.

So I moved the settings folder out as suggested, and yes, it seems to have stopped crashing. 

I tried to include all the info needed. I'll say that I have all images downloaded already that I need. Not using the streaming feature. I also noticed it crashes when I go into the "download missing media" menu, so it's not just scrolling through or launching games. Let me know if any other info is needed to help narrow it down.

• Like 1

We think we've narrowed down this particular crash. For anyone that reads this and is crashing during beta 2, turn off cloud game statistics syncing and see if that helps.

This is the latest version of the beta version.

Device/OS name

・Lenovo Y700 (2022)

Pixel Experience (based on android 12/custom ROM)

・Xiaomi POCO X6 Pro

Xiaomi HyperOS (based on android 14)

Both are in the same situation.

I can select the platform without any problems, but when I get to the screen where I actually select the game, "Media downloading..." is displayed in the bottom right of the screen, and I can only return to the platform or open the menu in the upper right. (I left it for a few minutes but it didn't solve the problem)

In the settings, "Automatically download missing media" is off, and Sync is also off, but the situation does not change.

I have attached the debug log.

Thank you.

Debug 2024-05-26 03-21-42 PM.log