LaunchBox Community Forums

Matching Launchbox ID to games with no spaces and versions in the title

johnhelliwell

Hi.   I've got a bunch of Amiga and C64 roms that I've imported into LB.  The file names are all without spaces and have version numbers in them, which I think prevents them being found in the LB DB.  For example, the file name for It Came From The Desert is 'ItCameFromTheDesert_v1.2_0014'.  If I rename it to 'It came from the desert' and hit 'search for metadata' it finds it no problem.  But I don't have the energy to do that for all the games.  Is there an easy way to fix this?

What import did you use and what is the file extension of the files you're using? I know we added support for Amiga lha files to parse those files names better on import which should have made a large part of that unnecessary.

I don't think I set this up correctly initially :)  I've just tested by removing one game, then importing it again, and it's recognised it perfectly.  So now I need to the whole set again.  It took me ages to FS-UAE all setup well with LB so would rather avoid doing all that again.  I know that if I just try and reimport (with removing first) it will tell me there zero to import as they're already there.  What would you recommend the best way to to do this.

2 minutes ago, johnhelliwell said:

I don't think I set this up correctly initially :)  I've just tested by removing one game, then importing it again, and it's recognised it perfectly.  So now I need to the whole set again.  It took me ages to FS-UAE all setup well with LB so would rather avoid doing all that again.  I know that if I just try and reimport (with removing first) it will tell me there zero to import as they're already there.  What would you recommend the best way to to do this.

you can remove the current entries and reimport just as you did now (whatever way you used that worked). your emulator settings are stored within the emulator program, so nothing in there will be impacted by this. and if you meant emulator setup settings within LB, then your settings in the Emulator window for FS-UAE do not change just because you removed or re-imported games. You can even delete the entire platform and the settings for the emulator will stay intact in LB. Emulator entries are independent of game entries. So there is no risk to messing up your emulator setup by removing the current game entries and reimporting them

the reason you get zero games to import currently is because LB doesn't allow users to make duplicate entries by default. there is a checkbox to force adding duplicate entries at some step in the import wizard. just pointing this out for sharing knowledge, but also stressing you don't want to actually use this force duplicates feature for what you're trying to do right now because you would double all your game entries, and only half of them would be correct. so that's why you should remove and reimport.

the only way remove and reimport would be an issue is if you took the time to add something customized to a ton of entries, like adding specific custom command lines for specific games. that custom stuff would be lost when the entry is removed, and would not come back if the same game was reimported. I'm assuming you didn't do any special customizing like this though, so I recommend the above advice.

Thanks for your help.  I deleted all the games from the platform, had a minor panic when the platform disappeared from the left hand side, but imported the roms back in and it's all peachy.   The games are pulling in the right info, and the emulator still works as it did.  Thanks!  All sorted, very happy :)

• Game On 1

22 minutes ago, johnhelliwell said:

had a minor panic when the platform disappeared from the left hand side

🤣 sorry for the LOL at your expense. I do understand that feeling!

that happens if all the games are removed from a platform. rather than leave it there empty, the platform is automatically removed from the platform list.

On 6/5/2024 at 2:24 PM, Retro808 said:

You can use a tool such as BulkRename to do delete the extra data en masse. I do not mess with those platform so not sure if there is logic that should have worked in LB. 

Just tried out the bulkrename tool on another project.  what a great app, thanks for the recomendation!