LaunchBox Community Forums

(FIXED) Big Box slowdown/stutter when scrolling

Posted (edited)

Hello,

I'm having some horrible slowdown when scrolling through 3D boxart or platform/game lists with videos playing in the background using BigBox.  I've tried several different themes and it's prevalent throughout all of them in varying degrees. I noticed it the moment I set up BigBox the first time two years ago, but after multiple different systems I have never once seen the issue fully disappear. Recently, I've been spent a lot of my spare time trying to get my build to run smoothly on my laptop to no avail whatsoever. 

It isn't the most powerful system I've used but it definitely isn't a slouch.  I'd assume if it can run something like Elden Ring at 1080p consistently at 60FPS it should be able to run a BigBox theme with videos in the background.

Is this something that users deal with and it isn't considered a general issue?  I see various topics regarding sluggish behavior, stuttering and lag, etc. and most of the topics are unresolved.  The solutions provided by admins/mods seem to cover very niche circumstances and claim the software should be working as intended.

Edit: I don't use any software like MSI Afterburner whatsoever.  My drivers, GPU and Windows are all updated.  I'm very peculiar about the amount of software I allow to run at any given time on my laptop so rest assured, there is minimal bloat.

Thanks in advance.

explorer_MpZLRgy5BS.png

mmc_M8m52m24s4.png

Taskmgr_T373Nxwg2j.gif

2024-07-09 11-09-00.mkv

Edited by haradooku

Most of the time we've seen reports like this from laptop owners with a build like yours the issue was discovered to be that the laptop was using the integrated graphics card instead of the dedicated one to render Big Box. I don't recall the exact steps on how to ensure that the dedicated GPU is used, but I'd assume it'd be an easy thing to search for.

Here is a 2nd video to emphasize the ridiculousness of the issue.

In this video, BigBox's performance is exactly the same whether or not I'm playing Elden Ring on top.  It has no effect on it whatsoever.  Elden Ring is completely unaffected by BigBox.  So this shouldn't be an issue with my laptop not being able to handle it, or some software causing a performance issues with my hardware or something.  It's something to do with BigBox itself, right?

2024-07-09 11-33-53.mkv

2 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Most of the time we've seen reports like this from laptop owners with a build like yours the issue was discovered to be that the laptop was using the integrated graphics card instead of the dedicated one to render Big Box. I don't recall the exact steps on how to ensure that the dedicated GPU is used, but I'd assume it'd be an easy thing to search for.

Ah okay, I haven't been able to find anything like that during my hours spent searching I'll give it another go with that in mind specifically.

10 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

This actually ended up being the issue.  Using Nvidia Control Panel and setting the Launchbox/Bigbox application to prefer my high performance GPU solved this issue.  I think this may be the only topic shown when searching for "GPU" + "Laptop" so I'm gonna edit it as fixed for anyone else who comes by.

Thanks for your assistance!

• haradooku changed the title to (FIXED) Big Box slowdown/stutter when scrolling