LaunchBox Community Forums

Meet The Team: RetroPython

AstroBob

Can you believe it? LaunchBox is turning 11 years old this month! From humble beginnings to a thriving and passionate community, the team has grown from a single visionary to a collaborative team of over 10 people in various full-time and part-time capacities. Since this week is a time of celebration for us, we want to shine a light on some of the amazing folks who are helping to shape the future of LaunchBox and make it what it is today.

While we won’t be able to feature everyone on the team, and there are also multiple contributors both within and outside the community, we hope these posts offer some insight into some of the people working behind the scenes at LaunchBox who you might not know. This will give you a glimpse into their roles and history with the project.

We're continuing our series of team members with Sal a.k.a @RetroPython

Please introduce yourself and describe your role on the team

Hi there! I’m Sal, though you might know me better as RetroPython. I was fortunate enough to join the LaunchBox team about a year ago, and what a fantastic journey it’s been. My role revolves around bringing a unique retro flair to our video content, especially tutorials. From the start, I knew I wanted to do more than just teach—I wanted to create an experience.

My goal with each tutorial is to make it engaging and informative while tapping into that deep well of nostalgia we all share. Whether it’s walking you through setting up a beloved classic system or uncovering hidden LaunchBox features, I strive to spark those memories of the first time we played these iconic games. It’s about more than just revisiting the past—it’s about reliving those magical moments when gaming was pure and full of wonder.

thumbnail.thumb.webp.dc28497a1b98981b4a3790107c04b33e.webp

Every video I create is a chance to connect with our amazing community, share the joy of retro gaming, and ensure that the LaunchBox experience is as seamless and enjoyable as possible.

What is your history with LaunchBox?
I was once a dedicated Hyperspin user, deeply invested in building my arcade setup. But over time, I grew increasingly frustrated with the complicated setup process and the lack of consistent updates. It became more of a chore than a joy, and I realized I needed something better—something that would let me focus more on enjoying the games rather than wrestling with the software.

About eight years ago, during one of my searches for a better solution, I stumbled upon Simply Austin’s LaunchBox videos. That moment was a turning point. The way Austin showcased LaunchBox opened my eyes to a whole new world of possibilities. It wasn’t just about a better interface; it was about a front end that made everything easier, more intuitive, and infinitely more enjoyable. The transition felt like a breath of fresh air, as LaunchBox brought all the features I wanted without the headaches I had grown used to.

Since that discovery, LaunchBox has been my go-to solution, completely transforming my approach to retro gaming. It’s not just a tool; it’s a game changer. The flexibility, ease of use, and constant updates have kept me hooked, and I haven’t looked back since. There’s simply nothing better out there—LaunchBox is, without a doubt, the best way to relive those classic gaming experiences.

What advice would you give to new LaunchBox users?
The possibilities with LaunchBox are truly endless. It’s a platform that opens up a world of retro gaming, where you can bring together all your favorite classics in one beautifully organized space. But with so much to explore and collect, it’s easy to get caught up in the thrill of building your library, sometimes to the point where you forget the very reason you started—playing the games!

LaunchBox is designed with the gamer in mind, offering a wide range of features that make the setup process as smooth and efficient as possible. Whether you’re organizing your collection, setting up emulators, or customizing your front end, LaunchBox simplifies the steps so you can spend less time tinkering and more time actually enjoying your games. It’s all about getting you to that moment where you can sit back, controller in hand, and dive into the nostalgia of your favorite titles.

So, while it’s fun to amass an impressive collection, don’t lose sight of what matters most—the gameplay. LaunchBox gives you everything you need to streamline the process, making it easier than ever to jump right into the action. So go ahead, fire up your favorite game, and start playing. After all, that’s what it’s all about!

What do you think is the most underrated LaunchBox feature?
Without a doubt, MAME High Scores and RetroAchievements have completely transformed the way we experience our favorite classic games. We’ve all spent countless hours playing these timeless titles, but now, with these features, there’s an added layer of excitement. MAME High Scores let you track and compete for the top spot, reigniting that competitive spirit we all remember from the arcades. Meanwhile, RetroAchievements bring a new dimension to gameplay, challenging you to unlock milestones and earn rewards that showcase your skills.

These options don’t just give you a reason to replay those beloved games—they make every session feel fresh and rewarding. It’s about more than just nostalgia; it’s about pushing your limits and securing those bragging rights.

Scores.thumb.png.3da1e2cba70eba3bea58cc41c41b2404.png

Whether you’re aiming for the highest score or unlocking every achievement, it’s time to dive back in and prove you’re still the best!

What upcoming features or developments in LaunchBox are you most looking forward to?
I’m thrilled about the new feature that automatically downloads emulators in LaunchBox. It’s made the whole process of getting into classic gaming even smoother. Now, it’s easier than ever to dive into those hard-to-emulate systems like the Atari Jaguar or to relive the magic of point-and-click adventures with ScummVM.

Recently, I found myself lost in a marathon of old LucasArts games, something I hadn’t done in years. Thanks to how effortless it is to set up ScummVM with LaunchBox, I was able to jump right into those nostalgic adventures without any hassle. The convenience and simplicity of this feature have reignited my love for these classics.

DayoftheTentacle.thumb.jpg.d4e5fa379672fbc27f1671d110f1927a.jpg

With each update, LaunchBox keeps pushing the boundaries of what’s possible, and I can’t wait to see what they’ll introduce next. The future looks incredibly exciting for retro gaming enthusiasts like us!

What’s your go-to gaming setup currently?
I’m a bit of a gaming enthusiast, playing on everything from original consoles to modern devices. But one of my favorite projects has been building a “Retro Python” themed bar top arcade for my basement home theater room. This thing has become a centerpiece of fun—whether it’s classics like Wrestlefest, NBA JAM, or newer hits like Shredder’s Revenge, there’s always someone playing on it.

The nostalgia doesn’t stop there, though. I’m currently working on building a custom stand for the arcade, complete with shelving inside to store controllers, along with a collection of classic VHS tapes and LaserDiscs. It’s all about embracing that retro vibe and bringing back the feeling of those golden gaming years. Retro all the way!

RetroPython.thumb.png.f36b0a3639fefc7a08f2b16eebaa061a.png

The RetroPython-themed bar top arcade is so popular in our household that I almost feel like I need to stack my quarters on the edge to claim the next turn, just like we did in the old days!

How do you envision the future of retro gaming?
During the pandemic, the demand for retro games skyrocketed, and it’s easy to see why—just look at the prices of old consoles. They’ve increased four to five times compared to pre-pandemic levels, and the trend doesn’t seem to be slowing down anytime soon. Retro gaming is more popular than ever, but in today’s fast-paced world, many of us are constantly on the go, making it tough to find the time to sit down and play like we used to.

That’s where handhelds come in—they’re the perfect gateway for retro gaming in our busy lives. I’m thrilled to see the incredible handheld devices that are being developed, offering a convenient way to enjoy classic games no matter where you are. And with LaunchBox enhancing the experience on these devices, it’s never been easier to keep that retro gaming spirit alive, even when life gets hectic. The future of gaming on the go looks bright, and I can’t wait to see how it continues to evolve!

And if you’re also passionate about retro handhelds, don’t miss our 11th birthday celebration giveaway—there are some fantastic handhelds up for grabs!

• Like 3

Love the tutorials Sal, they played a huge role in getting me into LaunchBox! It's been cool to get to know the staff this week and I gotta say LaunchBox is in good hands 🙏 Keep up the AMAZING work and Long Live LaunchBox 

• Like 2

Sal / RetroPython, just wanted to say thanks for creating the content you do. I usually like tutorial videos that are short and to the point but I like to listen to your videos while I'm driving or have some time to relax.

It's fun to learn about some of the history behind the fun consoles we used to play growing up.

Thanks!

• Like 1