LaunchBox Community Forums

Realistic Marquee Monitor FX 1.3

(1 review)

9 Screenshots

About This File

Realistic Marquee Monitor FX

Note: This thread will not be pushed to the front in the "whats new" section, if you want notifications for future updates to this file be sure to follow this page by using the follow button in the upper right corner.

Part of the Neon Deluxe Arcade series but this can be used for any theme to spice up your marquee monitor :)

The FX are composed of different layers of scratched plexi glass, reflection, light and other grungy and dusty layers to get as close to realism as possible, see in the video below how it's been composed.

Installation

Installation, please note this was made for use with a 21:9 ultra wide monitor, other aspect ratios might not look as on screenshots.

1. Place folder '_Realistic Marquee FX' in 'Launchbox\Themes'

2. Within the _Realistic Marquee FX folder are 4 images
   1. Realistic Marquee FX - With Marquee holder & Plexi FX.
   2. Realistic Marquee FX Only Plexi - Without the Marquee holder, only Plexi FX.
   3. Realistic Marquee FX Subtle - With Marquee holder & Plexi FX.
   4. Realistic Marquee FX Subtle Only Plexi - Only Plexi FX.

3. Choose the style XAML file you want:

Full FX
   a. Realistic Marquee FX - Complete: With Marquee holder, Plexi FX and Magic Screen Filler.

a..thumb.png.26dcb51dfe4c4244a1476abdd6ba621b.png
   b. Realistic Marquee FX - Sans Filler: With Marquee holder & Plexi FX but Without Magic Screen Filler.

b..thumb.png.c68e32c164fe4f7fec74e4ee286de6f7.png
   c. Realistic Marquee FX - Plexi FX & Filler - Without Marquee holder, With Plexi FX and Magic Screen Filler.

c..thumb.png.cd122ea995e95eb41a27758d9656d714.png
   d. Realistic Marquee FX - Plexi FX only: With Plexi FX but without Magic Screen Filler and Marquee Holder.

d.thumb.png.615343fc67762006a4c4d3cdff8c6b02.png

Subtle FX
   e. Realistic Marquee FX Subtle - Complete: With Marquee holder, Plexi FX and Magic Screen Filler.

e.thumb.png.47f2ee2c0a31ed70327caece7fb7e7dc.png
   f. Realistic Marquee FX Subtle - Sans Filler: With Marquee holder & Plexi FX but Without Magic Screen Filler.

f.thumb.png.5f7229591456877e97cf434586942061.png
   g. Realistic Marquee FX Subtle - Plexi FX & Filler - Without Marquee holder, With Plexi FX and Magic Screen Filler.

g.thumb.png.90911dd44b779a6c06697edafea53e72.png
   h. Realistic Marquee FX Subtle - Plexi FX only: With Plexi FX but without Magic Screen Filler and Marquee Holder.

h.thumb.png.f78b496ba36776849a0200d1551e161d.png
4. Pick the style you like and overwrite the GameMarqueeView.xaml file in the 'your theme of choice/Views' folder, might be a good idea to back up the file first however.

Additional note: If you see gaps at the sides of the marquee you'll have to adjust the margins, the current margins work for 21:9 displays but on other aspect ratios it needs adjustments. Open up the GameMarqueeView.xaml with a notepad editor and check for "Margin="100,70,100,70", change the values of 100 to a lower or higher number.

Enjoy and have fun! ?
Mr. RetroLust

thumb.thumb.png.b4d6143cd865bbc37783eb1fee1f4548.png

What's New in Version 1.3   See changelog

Released

Version 1.3

Corrected stretching of the overlay images to stretch to every aspect ratio screen (Thanks @Dynamite Jewduh for making me aware of the problem)

Rewritten the instructions including an important note: "Additional note: If you see gaps at the sides of the marquee you'll have to adjust the margins, the current margins work for 21:9 displays but on other aspect ratios it needs adjustments. Open up the GameMarqueeView.xaml with a notepad editor and check for "Margin="100,70,100,70", change the values of 100 to a lower or higher number."

Merged the separate downloads to one file.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

This looks amazing! Thanks so much. Really brings an extra level of realism. Will definitely be trying this out. Out of interest, do you have any recommendations for the marquee monitor?

Edit: Just tried it and it didn't work for me. The instructions say to " 4. Pick the style you like and overwrite the GameMarqueeView.xaml file in the 'your theme of choice/Views' folder, might be a good idea to back up the file first however. "

There is no GameMarqueeView.xaml in my theme/Views folder however. The theme I am using is CriticalZone V2 - Bluebox.

I tried copying the xaml across anyway, and then ran BigBox - but the above effect wasn't applied to my marquees on the marquee screen.

Edited by Retrofrogg
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Retrofrogg said:

This looks amazing! Thanks so much. Really brings an extra level of realism. Will definitely be trying this out. Out of interest, do you have any recommendations for the marquee monitor?

Thanks bro glad you like! Yeah I recommend the one I recommended you before, those LG Ultra Wide monitors are awesome quality for a relatively low price, here are 2 25 inch monitors below 200 bucks. If you like to go larger there's a 29 inch as well. I do recollect there should be a 27 incher as well. What are you using currently as marquee monitor?

https://www.amazon.com/LG-25UM58-P-25-Inch-21-UltraWide/dp/B01BV1XB2K/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=ultrawide+lg&qid=1550007109&refinements=p_89%3ALG&rnid=2528832011&s=gateway&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/LG-25UM56P-25-Class-UltraWide/dp/B0170TSYGK/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=ultrawide+lg&qid=1550007109&refinements=p_89%3ALG&rnid=2528832011&s=gateway&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/LG-29UM59-29-Inch-UltraWide-Monitor/dp/B071L1KDVB/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=ultrawide+lg&qid=1550007109&refinements=p_89%3ALG&rnid=2528832011&s=gateway&sr=8-6

Thanks man, will definitely check that out. Have you considering de-bezelling that monitor for a cleaner look?

For my current marquee monitor I am just using the laptop monitor (the laptop is running BigBox with an external 4K monitor being the main screen).

Wonder if you could address the issue I added in my edit?

Edited by Retrofrogg

10 minutes ago, Retrofrogg said:

Thanks man, will definitely check that out. For my current marquee monitor I am just using the laptop monitor (the laptop is running BigBox with an external 4K monitor being the main screen).

Wonder if you could address the issue I added in my edit?

Thats weird it didnt apply the effect, are you sure you've extracted the images to the right folder as well? As thats the only thing I can think of why it wouldnt work. Are you on the latest version of launchbox as well? If these are all done correctly and still dont work then try a different theme like futurestate neon deluxe or default to see if it works.

10 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Thats weird it didnt apply the effect, are you sure you've extracted the images to the right folder as well? As thats the only thing I can think of why it wouldnt work. Are you on the latest version of launchbox as well? If these are all done correctly and still dont work then try a different theme like futurestate neon deluxe or default to see if it works.

I didn't extract the images separately - I just extracted the zip file download to the Launchbox/Themes folder as per your instructions. If you go into the Realistic Marquee FX folder and then the _Realistic Marquee FX folder, the .png images are in there.

I have the latest beta of LB.

EDIT - I think it's actually my fault for misreading your instructions - they say to " 1. Extract folder '_Realistic Marquee FX' in 'Launchbox\Themes' " - I extracted the folder Realistic Marquee FX instead, without the "_". The folder names are so similar I overlooked it, sorry!

My next question is do you know how to remove the blur effect from behind the marquee, as it doesn't really work so well when there is a marquee frame.

Edited by Retrofrogg

Glad you figured it out. If you don't like the blur effect (called magic filler in the descriptions) you choose another version, go to the description above to compare the images that don't have the blur effect, seeing as you like a frame there are 2 options for your wishes: 

b. Realistic Marquee FX - Sans Filler: With Marquee holder & Plexi FX but Without Magic Screen Filler.

or

f. Realistic Marquee FX Subtle - Sans Filler: With Marquee holder & Plexi FX but Without Magic Screen Filler.

It's that easy 

Edited by Mr. RetroLust

Version 1.3

Corrected stretching of the overlay images to stretch to every aspect ratio screen (Thanks @Dynamite Jewduh for making me aware of the problem)

Rewritten the instructions including an important note: "Additional note: If you see gaps at the sides of the marquee you'll have to adjust the margins, the current margins work for 21:9 displays but on other aspect ratios it needs adjustments. Open up the GameMarqueeView.xaml with a notepad editor and check for "Margin="100,70,100,70", change the values of 100 to a lower or higher number."

Merged the separate downloads to one file.

Just now, Johnny T said:

@Mr. RetroLust This is awesome. Thanks for all your hard work.

Is there any way of making it work with the new 'video' marquees?

Many thanks 🙂

Glad you like :) At the moment it would be too much work and not sure if I could make it work. Perhaps in the future i'll update them.

• Like 1

No problem Retro mate. It's a great addition as it is. Thanks for getting back to me matey. And thanks for all your efforts 👍👍👍

• Like 1

This worked great on my new setup but question. I noticed there is also a PlatformMarqueeView file under LaunchBox\Themes\Neon Deluxe Arcade\Views

But how do I change that?  I ask this because my platform marquees, although in the right folder because I can actually see them on my marquee screen, do not have the marquee holders info.

Thanks

25 minutes ago, Morris Schaffer said:

This worked great on my new setup but question. I noticed there is also a PlatformMarqueeView file under LaunchBox\Themes\Neon Deluxe Arcade\Views

But how do I change that?  I ask this because my platform marquees, although in the right folder because I can actually see them on my marquee screen, do not have the marquee holders info.

Thanks

I guess I forgot to make them lol you're the first to notice. Let me know which version you use for game marquee and i'll make you a platform marquee.

Awesome.  I use e. Realistic Marquee FX Subtle - Complete.   Thank you.  It's really eerie how authentic the peeled paint spots look on the game marquee holder.  I guess that's why we buy sleek, borderless ultrawides. 😁

Hey quick follow up question. If I want to use the platform marquee image (so the png itself) for all my games under a specific platform (ex snes or genesis), do I really need to create that platform marquee image for every single one of the 200 roms I got?  

44 minutes ago, Morris Schaffer said:

Awesome.  I use e. Realistic Marquee FX Subtle - Complete.   Thank you.  It's really eerie how authentic the peeled paint spots look on the game marquee holder.  I guess that's why we buy sleek, borderless ultrawides. 😁

Hey quick follow up question. If I want to use the platform marquee image (so the png itself) for all my games under a specific platform (ex snes or genesis), do I really need to create that platform marquee image for every single one of the 200 roms I got?  

I'll have a look tomorrow :) I'm not sure I understand your question but you shouldn't need to create images with the images inside the packs provided here, the images used will overlay any images you have set in your marquee image priorities.

51 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

I'll have a look tomorrow :) I'm not sure I understand your question but you shouldn't need to create images with the images inside the packs provided here, the images used will overlay any images you have set in your marquee image priorities.

For Console games I'd like to use the same platform marquee for all the games.  but I'd rather not have to create the same platform marquee png, say 200 times because I have 200 snes roms. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Morris Schaffer said:

For Console games I'd like to use the same platform marquee for all the games.  but I'd rather not have to create the same platform marquee png, say 200 times because I have 200 snes roms. 

Hmm, I'm not sure if theres an option for that in BB, you could go through BB settings to see if there's something like that. If there ain't I'm afraid you'll have to.

Hi sorry me again, I figure this might be related.  I just posted this in another thread:

Hi guys I have a question which seems related to this topic.  To be able to play Outrun 2 via teknoparrot I had to set the DPI of my primary screen (4K screen) to 100% (from 150%).  Otherwise the image was blown up.  But what I noticed now is that with that DPI set to 100%, my marquee screen in big box isn't working.  I just see the desktop on that 2nd screen which is a 2560 x 1080 by the way.  I switched the DPI of primary screen back to 150% and marquee was working again.  

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?  Obviously I'd like to keep the DPI of primary screen to 100%.  Thanks

It's strange because I do see solutions to other marquee related issues popping up that actually encourage both DPI's to be set at 100%.  

1 minute ago, Morris Schaffer said:

Hi sorry me again, I figure this might be related.  I just posted this in another thread:

It's strange because I do see solutions to other marquee related issues popping up that actually encourage both DPI's to be set at 100%.  

The dpi settings need to be the same, so both displays set to 100% or 150% or 175%.

3 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

The dpi settings need to be the same, so both displays set to 100% or 150% or 175%.

When they are the same at 100%, as I just tried again, my marquee screen just shows the desktop, there are no marquees and no marquee holder. just regular desktop screen.  Tried both at 150% and same result.  So right now to be able to see the game marquees, my primary screen must be at 150% and my marquee screen at 100%.  Which I guess is very odd.  I'd like to have both at 100% though.

Many thanks for the new file by the way.

EDIT: Well, uhm okay fully restarted my PC and now it is ok.  Not sure what kind of logic is at play here.

Edited by Morris Schaffer

1 hour ago, Morris Schaffer said:

When they are the same at 100%, as I just tried again, my marquee screen just shows the desktop, there are no marquees and no marquee holder. just regular desktop screen.  Tried both at 150% and same result.  So right now to be able to see the game marquees, my primary screen must be at 150% and my marquee screen at 100%.  Which I guess is very odd.  I'd like to have both at 100% though.

Many thanks for the new file by the way.

EDIT: Well, uhm okay fully restarted my PC and now it is ok.  Not sure what kind of logic is at play here.

You're welcome, enjoy! :)Yeah pc's (and other digital things) are weird like that lol

On 11/25/2022 at 9:58 PM, Morris Schaffer said:

I just had an idea @Morris Schaffer not sure if it'll work but if you copy and paste the platform marquee xaml file (ensure to backup both the platform marquee and game marquee xaml files first though) and rename that copy to the game marquee files name, it should show the selected games platform marquee image (theoretically). Keeping my fingers crossed.

Hi, thanks for thinking along with me here.  So just to be clear, the plan is to take platform marquee xaml file under LaunchBox\Themes\Neon Deluxe Arcade\Views copy it, and rename the copy to the game marquee file name to be found under that same location I have bolded?  In essence, 'PlatformMarqueeView' becomes 'GameMarqueeView'?  Is that what you mean? 

But for MAME I would not want to use the platform marquee, so how would that distinction work?  Wouldn't it have to be one or the other?

But will try tomorrow.