LaunchBox Community Forums

Nostalgia-Bedroom Remake 2.03

(0 reviews)

5 Screenshots

About This File

Nostalgia - Bedroom (an 80's style BigBox theme)

Ready for something new, mixed together with something a little bit old and familiar? :) Here is my own 'retro' style version (fork) of the great "Nostalgia" theme, originally created by @eatkinola, whose fantastic themes can also be found here on the launchbox forums. This is a simple 1980's bedroom style version of  that same "Nostalgia" theme with custom-designed layouts, corresponding to various computer, handheld and console systems. As of now, there are over 50 unique systems I've added/edited, with more to come in the near future. I'm not sure if I'll be doing anything with arcade platforms (mame, etc.), at least not for now. 

New version:
While this theme was originally a fork of eatkinola's great "Nostalgia" theme, it's been drastically changed since there were some recent changes with the way BigBox handles themes. Keep in mind, this theme will only work with newer versions of Launchbox/Bigbox (after version 11.0). I'll also be releasing a few more versions of this same theme with different televisions and computer monitors in the future. So stay tuned!

More notes:

A very big thank you to @y2guru for his amazing COMMUNITY Theme Creator for BigBox! Without his excellent theme designing program I wouldn't have been able to re-create this theme. Really.

A short video-preview of the updated version will be coming soon ?

UPDATE (April 26, 2021)
Here is a fixed version I put together with Community Theme Creator, which is a bit more simple than the previous version. I had to abandon the older version (1.1) since it no longer works (since version 10.0?) and created this "Remake" to use less resources. In the coming days, weeks, and months I'll add more systems, new screenshots and also add the source code for anyone who wants to customize this. Enjoy!

Edited by bundangdon
updated details

What's New in Version 2.03   See changelog

Released

About 15 more platforms added and some very minor cosmetic changes, mostly to the games-list view. Once I get past 70 platforms, I'll record a video or two and upload it to youtube (soon). Until then, have fun! :)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Game On 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

1 minute ago, harryoke said:

love this theme , changed background to a more UK feel .

1240871520_c64uk.thumb.png.40d7e823420df6c7be7d64fae5e615a8.png

Glad to hear that! And the new posters are a nice touch also!

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 2:38 AM, smackm said:

Looks interesting, but it produces an error at startup.

Yep, very sorry about that and I apologize for the very late response. Ever since Launchbox/BigBox changed the theme system with recent updates, this theme no longer works properly. I'm currently rebuilding this from the ground up and will upload a working version in the coming weeks.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bundangdon said:

Yep, very sorry about that and I apologize for the very late response. Ever since Launchbox/BigBox changed the theme system with recent updates, this theme no longer works properly. I'm currently rebuilding this from the ground up and will upload a working version in the coming weeks.

What part broke? We did our best to ensure that any existing themes still function correctly with this latest version. Be curious to know what we may have potentially missed.

11 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

What part broke? We did our best to ensure that any existing themes still function correctly with this latest version. Be curious to know what we may have potentially missed.

Not sure, but this was a fork of the "Nostalgia" theme (by eatkinola), and I had the same crash-issue with that theme. I'll take a look at it once more tonight and check to see what happens with the latest official version of BigBox

UPDATE:

Just tried this theme now and I get hit with a barrage of errors, including this one:

Could not load file or assembly 'System.Management, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'. The system cannot find the file specified.

App:     Big Box
Version: 11.10
Type:    System.IO.FileNotFoundException
Site:    Void .ctor()
Source:  Ao.Bigbox.Themer.v3_9_6

at Ao.Bigbox.Utils.Fu.EnvironmentInformer..ctor()
   at Ao.Bigbox.Utils.Fu.EnvironmentInformer.get_Instance()
   at Ao.Bigbox.ViewModels.EnvironmentInfoVM.UpdateEnvInfoProps(Boolean async)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__139_0(Object state)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Recent Log:

10:00:46 PM Exception

Edited by bundangdon

Note (to anyone out there who might be following this thread), I've recently updated this with a slimmed-down, working version. More updates to come, so stay tuned :)

Is there any way to make the videos stretch to fill the screen? Some of my videos have black bars horizontally.

Simply amazing theme. My favorite so far.

Edited by walter10h

3 hours ago, walter10h said:

Is there any way to make the videos stretch to fill the screen? Some of my videos have black bars horizontally.

Simply amazing theme. My favorite so far.

Thanks a lot! Unfortunately though, with 16x9 videos and screenshots, I wasn't able to fix that issue, while 4x3 videos seem to be fine. What I will probably do, in the near future, is make a 2nd version for HD 16x9, and that way users can switch between the themes and use them with the appropriate (mostly newer) systems

7 hours ago, bundangdon said:

Thanks a lot! Unfortunately though, with 16x9 videos and screenshots, I wasn't able to fix that issue, while 4x3 videos seem to be fine. What I will probably do, in the near future, is make a 2nd version for HD 16x9, and that way users can switch between the themes and use them with the appropriate (mostly newer) systems

Thanks for such a quick response. That's the interesting part, I haven't had issues with 16:9 videos, it's some of my 4:3 videos showing with black bars on the side. Some show fine. Most likely a weird aspect ratio. I thought maybe there was a way to force the theme to stretch the video regardless of aspect ratio. Oh well, it's not really a big deal. Cheers!

Yep! I went back and took a look at this theme now and noticed that all videos (16x9, 4x3) look fine and fill up the screen, with an exception of a few odd shaped, unusual ratio videos. But the screenshots (all ratios) all have that same problem. It's certainly not a deal-breaker but it would be nice if I could find a more uniform and consistent style, and I'll see what I can cook up with the latest version of Community Theme Creator.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 8:28 PM, bundangdon said:

Yep! I went back and took a look at this theme now and noticed that all videos (16x9, 4x3) look fine and fill up the screen, with an exception of a few odd shaped, unusual ratio videos. But the screenshots (all ratios) all have that same problem. It's certainly not a deal-breaker but it would be nice if I could find a more uniform and consistent style, and I'll see what I can cook up with the latest version of Community Theme Creator.

I appreciate your hard work on this awesome theme. You're making me want to make one myself lol.  After that MS-DOS one I made back in 2017, I never got the urge to make anything else.

• Game On 1