LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroFresh 1.3

(15 reviews)

15 Screenshots

About This File

This theme was designed to add as little overhead as possible, while giving a clean and simplistic view of the content. RetroFresh works with your own media and uses them as its centerpiece. Hope you guys enjoy.

This theme was ported over to the COMMUNITY Theme Creator, and is the only version still supported. Both the theme and the Theme Creator files are supplied, just in case you would like to make any changes with the theme.

Installation Instructions

1. Extract 'RetroFresh - Theme.zip' LaunchBox/Themes folder.
  2. Open Big Box, go to Options/Views, select the RetroFresh theme.

Video Demonstration

The views I made are as follows:

RetroFresh

Spoiler

Platform Wheel View 1
This platform view was designed to get out of the way of the full screen platform videos made by all the wonderful people contributing to LaunchBox. The platform videos are the focus here, as the wheel's transparent background let's the video shine through.

RetroFresh.PlatformList.Example1.jpgRetroFresh.PlatformList.Example2.jpg

- Platform Wheel View 2
This is a vertical version of Platform Wheel View 1. It was designed to get out of the way of the full screen platform videos made by all the wonderful people contributing to LaunchBox. The platform videos are the focus here, as the wheel's transparent background let's the video shine through.

RetroFresh.PlatformList3.Example1.jpgRetroFresh.PlatformList3.Example2.jpg

Platform Wheel View 3
This view's focus is on the platform theme videos, along with displaying their descriptions. It's all tied together with background platform images.

RetroFresh.PlatformList2.Example1.jpgRetroFresh.PlatformList2.Example3.jpg

Game Wheel View 1
This game view let's the box art and game video take center stage, while the blurred background image allows for the transparent UI elements to take on its color property.

RetroFresh.GameList.WheelLeft1.2.jpg

Game Wheel View 2
This game view is the same as the first, except the wheel is on the right.

RetroFresh.GameList.WheelRight1.2.jpg

Game Wheel View 3
This view keeps the same focus as with the Vertical views, while also providing space for more game details.

RetroFresh.GameList.HorizontalWheel1.jpg

Game Wheel View 4 - Experimental
This experimental view is designed specifically for game theme videos. It's a bare bones view with the main focus on the game video.

RetroFresh.Sleek.GameList4.GamThemes4.jpg

Game List View
This game view substitutes the wheel for a text list. This view will help on lower end systems, while the essence of theme remains intact.

If anyone finds any issues, please let me know.

RetroFresh.GameList.TextList-update.jpg

RetroFresh.Detailed.GameList.TextList1.jpg

RetroFresh.Detailed.GameList.WheelLeft.jpg

RetroFresh.Detailed.GameList.WheelRight.jpg

RetroFresh glass.png

What's New in Version 1.3   See changelog

Released

• This theme is 3D Box Model ready: All relevant views have had their hard coded box image element replaced with the main image transition.
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 7
  • Unusual Gem 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

This theme is awesome, near to be perfect. I Think that another alternative view would be great: 

Name, company, release date and genres on top right.

And game description on bottom.

I have tried to modify your theme but it is a bit difficult for me.

Thanks so much @crack__19

I did a little dabbling into whether this was possible, and it was... sort of. You can see in the example below that having the 4 fields in the top right got a little muddled and skewed, and there are some other titles that have even longer genres/platform titles, that wouldn't quite fit properly.

RetroFresh-ListMode-Example1.jpgI also took a screenshot of having just the 2 fields and it ended up looking a lot cleaner in the design.

RetroFresh-ListMode-Example2.jpg

Let me know if you would like either of these views and I'll zip you up a special copy of RetroFresh.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, faeran said:

I did a little dabbling into whether this was possible, and it was... sort of. You can see in the example below that having the 4 fields in the top right got a little muddled and skewed, and there are some other titles that have even longer genres/platform titles, that wouldn't quite fit properly.

RetroFresh-ListMode-Example1.jpgI also took a screenshot of having just the 2 fields and it ended up looking a lot cleaner in the design.

Let me know if you would like either of these views and I'll zip you up a special copy of RetroFresh.

Wow! You are fast! Two new views are awesome, but i prefer first. All is clean, there are enough game info, and game cover is bigger than other themes. I think this is it best view game theme ever in Launchbox.

4 hours ago, crack__19 said:

@crack__19 Well, I couldn't figure out how to have 2 TextList views in one theme, so I packaged this view in a special version for you. Let me know if you run into any issues installing it.

Download it here:

RetroFresh crack__19 Edition.zip

The only difference between this version and the regular one is the TextList view.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, faeran said:

This view would be perfect if you could add the clear logos to the vertical wheel instead of the text :) I can see me switching this to my main theme, keep up the good work @faeran :D

Edited by BlueArrowUK
  • Like 1

Just got a chance to check out this theme and it is awesome and will be putting this in my rotation of themes. I love all the views but I was wondering if you would consider making an additional game view that would utilize the the recorded Hyperspin themes in partial fullscreen with the clear logo wheel on the right or left side of the screen that @CriticalCid made on this thread:

Thanks @kmoney!

I've been thinking about using the last games view for something like this. Something that will showcase videos as the main element, but I haven't been able to figure out what is needed. Do you have any ideas of what you would want it to look like, or what you would want to be in a view like this (title, developer, year, description, boxart)? I haven't been able to download videos from emumovies for a while, so it's hard to visualize how it will look.

9 hours ago, BlueArrowUK said:

This view would be perfect if you could add the clear logos to the vertical wheel instead of the text :) I can see me switching this to my main theme, keep up the good work @faeran :D

I've been thinking about this. There seems to be a technical issue, in that I only seem to have the ability to add 4 game views (that utilize game wheels) per theme. I thought about maybe making 2 different versions of the theme, one that includes the view we currently have, and another version that looks like the screenshot above, which includes more details like the game description. Then people can choose which one they like best.

I'll probably think on it a bit more 

1 hour ago, faeran said:

Thanks @kmoney!

I've been thinking about using the last games view for something like this. Something that will showcase videos as the main element, but I haven't been able to figure out what is needed. Do you have any ideas of what you would want it to look like, or what you would want to be in a view like this (title, developer, year, description, boxart)? I haven't been able to download videos from emumovies for a while, so it's hard to visualize how it will look.

Here are 3 pics of views which showcase the game theme videos very well. The last 2 are from the Minimal A-O theme and the first one is from FutureState theme. To me it looks better if there is no boxart or very small boxart because it takes away from the game theme video as you can see with the Futurestate one. I actually like the second pic the best for game theme videos because it is very simple and basic but some very small additions could be added so it would not take away from the game theme videos themselves. There is also some game theme videos in the download section here on the forum in the download section for you to download if your emumovies does not work. Thanks for considering.:)

Futurestate.jpg

minimal ao.jpg

Minimal ao2.jpg

45 minutes ago, bundangdon said:

Once again, this is a great theme but I have one (maybe) simple request. Is there any way you could add an option which doesn't blur out the background wallpaper/fanart in the games list? In other words, i'd like to be able to see the background/fanart in its original form :)

There, unfortunately, is no option to make an on/off switch for the blur effect. However, it should be simple enough to take the effect away in the code.

The code appears in each of the game views close to the top. You would just need to delete these lines of code:

<transitions:TransitionPresenter.Effect>
    <BlurEffect Radius="80" RenderingBias="Performance" />
</transitions:TransitionPresenter.Effect>

If that's too much, I can always post a copy of the theme without a blurred background this weekend.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, kmoney said:

Here are 3 pics of views which showcase the game theme videos very well. The last 2 are from the Minimal A-O theme and the first one is from FutureState theme. To me it looks better if there is no boxart or very small boxart because it takes away from the game theme video as you can see with the Futurestate one. I actually like the second pic the best for game theme videos because it is very simple and basic but some very small additions could be added so it would not take away from the game theme videos themselves. There is also some game theme videos in the download section here on the forum in the download section for you to download if your emumovies does not work. Thanks for considering.:)

Futurestate.jpg

minimal ao.jpg

Minimal ao2.jpg

Thanks for the explanation! Those themes look like they do a good job of displaying the game theme videos in full screen. I can see if I can put my own twist on it, but since my theme relies heavily on transparency, I'll have to think of some creative ways to incorporate them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, faeran said:

I've been thinking about this. There seems to be a technical issue, in that I only seem to have the ability to add 4 game views (that utilize game wheels) per theme. I thought about maybe making 2 different versions of the theme, one that includes the view we currently have, and another version that looks like the screenshot above, which includes more details like the game description. Then people can choose which one they like best.

I'll probably think on it a bit more 

Personally I would replace Game Theme 1 with the Screenshot above theme but with the clear logos instead of the text as they are very similer in design but the one above has more details compared to the 1st which is great and it still has all the artwork of the original theme. I really like how on the screenshot above you put the platform logo at the top of the vertical game wheel as its made more room to the right to be able to add that extra detail and not lose the overall design. just needs the clear logos to be perfect!!! :)

Great work my friend :D

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, angelobodetti said:

Beautiful theme - Is there any way to lessen the blur of the background image?

There is a way. Unfortunately, you would have to do it manually in the code. Depending on the view you would like to change, you would open up its corresponding xaml file, and change the radius value for the BlurEffect.

The files would be located in Launchbox > Themes > RetroFresh > Views

1.PNG.f4b7757840d303d6e88ec63cb9a61e52.PNGHope that helps.

3 minutes ago, angelobodetti said:

Thank you - The higher the number the more blur?

Yup, you can think of it as a percent.

On 4/6/2017 at 10:01 AM, faeran said:

There is a way. Unfortunately, you would have to do it manually in the code. Depending on the view you would like to change, you would open up its corresponding xaml file, and change the radius value for the BlurEffect.

The files would be located in Launchbox > Themes > RetroFresh > Views

1.PNG.f4b7757840d303d6e88ec63cb9a61e52.PNGHope that helps.

I am trying to lower blur in the game details view, but this code doesn't exist in that view. Am I missing something?

2 minutes ago, angelobodetti said:

I am trying to lower blur in the game details view, but this code doesn't exist in that view. Am I missing something?

Hi @angelobodetti. Game details view is actually not really a view, but more like code that is used inside of another view. With the way that themes work, i believe that you are looking for the file TextGamesView.xaml , which is used as both the text games view, and the games details view.

4 hours ago, Cookz718 said:

having issues adding background for each system.. Help someone ?

Try:

LaunchBox\Images\Platforms\{platform}\Fanart\

Where {platform} would be the name of a specific platform.

example for NES:

LaunchBox\Images\Platform\Nintendo Entertainment System\Fanart\Nintendo-Entertainment-System.jpg

19 minutes ago, faeran said:

Try:

LaunchBox\Images\Platforms\{platform}\Fanart\

Where {platform} would be the name of a specific platform.

example for NES:

LaunchBox\Images\Platform\Nintendo Entertainment System\Fanart\Nintendo-Entertainment-System.jpg

thanks also how can i add a perminant background ? like i want the background to stick the same as i go through the list of platforms

On 9/14/2017 at 11:52 PM, Jonesy91 said:

Hello, just wondering, do I need to use emumovies for this to work? 

This theme is fantastic by the way, great work.

Mostly all of the artwork can be downloaded from within launchbox. Emumovies does help with getting complete sets of video snaps for a specific console, which you can download from their site, and use with launch-box. You can create a free account which can get you access to a bunch of their content.

Thanks for clearing that up. I will definitely be supporting them so I can get video clips for each individual game in my collection.