LaunchBox Community Forums

Flashpoint Importer for Launchers 0.7.3.1

(4 reviews)

1 Screenshot

About This File

FIL (Flashpoint Importer for Launchers)

FIL is an importer tool for several launchers/frontends that allows one to add platforms and playlists from BlueMaxima's Flashpoint project to their collection. It is fully automated and only requires the user to provide the paths to their launcher and Flashpoint installs, choose which Platforms/Playlists they wish to import, and select between a few import mode options. Once the import is started the current progress is displayed and any errors that occur are shown to the user, with resolvable errors including a prompt for what the user would like to do. After the process has completed, the specified launcher can be started and the games from Flashpoint can be played like those from any other Platform.

For Platforms, the importer is capable of importing each game/animation along with any additional apps, images, and most of the metadata fields (i.e. Title, Description, etc, see below).

Function

This utility makes use of its sister project CLIFp (Command-line Interface for Flashpoint) to allow launchers to actually start and exit the games correctly. It is automatically deployed into your Flashpoint installation (updated if necessary) at the end of a successful import and the latest version of CLIFp will be included in each release of this utility so it is not generally something the end-user needs to concern themselves with.

Before making any changes to your collection, any datafiles that will be altered are automatically backed up (only one backup is maintained at once so any previous backup will be overwritten) and if any unrecoverable errors occur during the import any partial changes are reverted and the backups are restored; however, it is strongly suggested that you consider making a manual backup of your launcher's configuration to be safe. No responsibility is held for the loss of data due to use of this tool.

FIL can safely be used multiple times on the same collection to update the selected Platforms and Playlists if that have already been imported previously. The method with which to handle existing entries is selected within the program before each import.

The import time will vary, correlated with how many Platforms/Playlists you have selected, but more significantly the image mode you choose, which is expanded on later. Importing the entire collection usually takes 5-10 minutes with the recommended settings but can take longer with a more basic PC. The vast majority of the processing time is due to the plethora of images that have to be copied/symlinked when games processed so the speed of your storage device is the most significant factor. Running the importer for updates should be significantly faster it first checks to see if the source image from the new import source is actually different than your current one before copying/linking it.

You will still be able to use the standard Flashpoint launcher as normal after completing an import.

Compatability

Flashpoint Infinity/Flashpoint Ultimate
This tool was made with the express purpose of using it with Flashpoint Ultimate (i.e. all games/animations pre-downloaded), but since the 0.2 rewrite of CLIFp it should work with Infinity as well. Just note that use with Infinity is not tested as rigorously.

General

While testing for 100% compatibility is infeasible given the size of Flashpoint, OFILb was designed with full compatibility in mind.

The ":message:" feature of Flashpoint, commonly used to automatically show usage instructions for some games before they are started, is supported. The entries that use it are added as additional-apps to their respective games as they once were when Flashpoint came packaged with LaunchBox. All messages are displayed in a pop-up dialog via CLIFp.

Viewing extras (which are simply a folder) is also supported and the corresponding additional apps that open these folders will be added when importing a platform.

Since Flashpoint originally used LaunchBox as its launcher, most fields within Flashpoint have a one-to-one equivalent (or close enough equivalent) LaunchBox field. That being said there are a few fields that are unique to Flashpoint that do not have matching field and so they are simply excluded during the import, resulting in a relatively minor loss of information for each game in your collection.

Version Matching

Supported Launchers

• LaunchBox
  • AttractMode

Flashpoint
While testing for 100% compatibility is infeasible given the size of Flashpoint, FIL was designed with full compatibility in mind.

The ":message:" feature of Flashpoint, commonly used to automatically show usage instructions for some games before they are started, is supported. The entries that use it are added as additional-apps to their respective games as they once were when Flashpoint came packaged with LaunchBox. All messages are displayed in a pop-up dialog via CLIFp.

Viewing extras (which are simply a folder) is also supported and the corresponding additional apps that open these folders will be added when importing a platform.

Each metadata field (i.e. Title, Author, etc.) is matched to the closest equivalent of a given launcher, or a custom field if there is no near equivalent and the launcher supports them; otherwise, the field will be omitted.

Both Flashpoint Ultimate and Flashpoint Infinity are supported.

Version Matching
Each release of this application targets a specific version series of BlueMaxima's Flashpoint, which are composed of a major and minor version number, and are designed to work with all Flashpoint updates within that series. For example, a FIL release that targets Flashpoint 10.1 is intended to be used with any version of flashpoint that fits the scheme 10.1.x.x, such as 10.1, 10.1.0.3, 10.1.2, etc, but not 10.2.

Using a version of FIL that does not target the version of Flashpoint you wish to use it with is highly discouraged as some features may not work correctly or at all and in some cases the utility may fail to function entirely or even damage the Flashpoint install it is used with.

Please see the project's releases page on GitHub to check which tool version targets which Flashpoint version.

Metadata Fields

Currently the following fields in LaunchBox will be populated for each game, which is limited by what is available within Flashpoint:

• Title
  • Series
  • Developer
  • Publisher
  • Platform
  • Sort Title
  • Date Added
  • Date Modified
  • Broken Flag
  • Play Mode
  • Status
  • Notes
  • Source
  • Release Date
  • Version
  • Library
  • Language (as a Custom Field)

Usage

Please check the usage section for the tool on its GitHub page. It's easier to keep the instructions up to date when they are in one location.

If you have a bug or feature request I ask that you submit an issue on the GitHub page for this tool, but if you just want to ask a question, discuss the tool in general, or are having issues getting it working for reasons you don't think are due to a bug then please just make a post here. Since sometimes the line between the two can be blurry don't feel afraid to use the wrong system, it isn't a huge deal.

GitHub

FIL: https://github.com/oblivioncth/OFILb

CLIFp: https://github.com/oblivioncth/CLIFp

Edited by oblivioncth
Update for rebrand

What's New in Version 0.7.3.1   See changelog

Released

- Update for FP 12.1 support

- Fix error triggered when games within the Favorites playlist are missing 'order' keys

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Game On 1

User Feedback

You may only provide a review once you have downloaded the file.

Skyroller

2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

This is great, worked perfectly. Awesome work that should save everyone a lot of time.

Link to review
cemfundog

1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

Very good importer and great support. Everyone should try this out!

Response from the author:

Glad it's all working for ya now. Thanks for the review.

Link to review
Drodrick

· Edited by Drodrick

1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

Excellent, works very great, should you add  notes import support for the games description?  

the importer supports carrying over the descriptions of each games? That is somewhat implied in one section but I can make it more direct and clear if that is what you mean

sorry for my english, Yes I mean that! this is because in FP there is a field called original description and notes, launchbox just import the notes but those are not relevant as original description field that contains the descriptions

Other wise this is a very great tool for flash games lovers so I'm a java clasic phone games lover too,is there the posibility to create a similar plugin for kahvibreak the other bluemaximas project oriented to javaphones?

https://bluemaxima.org/kahvibreak/

thak you for your support

Response from the author:

Thanks for trying it out, let me know if you find any issues down the road. Re-downloading 8.2 at the moment because the first attempt resulted in a corrupted archive for whatever reason, but hopefully that will be supported soon.

As for your question, do you just mean that I should note in the description that the importer supports carrying over the descriptions of each games? That is somewhat implied in one section but I can make it more direct and clear if that is what you mean.

EDIT:

Updated the description.

EDIT 2:

Missed your edit since it doesn't push notifications for those. Thanks for the clarification, I do remember trying to remind myself during development to make sure I got the translation of original description/notes correct when moving the data into LB and it seems in the end I messed up and did only transfer the notes over, but not the original description (which as you noted is more important). I will make another patch.

Link to review