LaunchBox Community Forums

Nintendo Game & Watch 2D Boxes 1.0.2

(1 review)

10 Screenshots

About This File

This pack contains 2D Box Art for all 60 of the "Nintendo Game & Watch" Titles (56 are currently emulated in MAME) with 98% of them made from original hi-res box scans and / or photos. When trying to import the Nintendo Game & Watch platform I realised that many of the exisiting but still very cool scans or images of the original boxes were missing or needed some love, so I decided to create my own set of box art from scratch for both 2D and 3D versions.

Some of the original boxes and box scans are understandably in pretty rough shape after four decades, so I've cleaned them up a substantial amount but there are still some imperfections which I left there to preserve the original box as much as possible. So expect some folds, creases, tears, sticky tape residue and smudges but I think it gives them all a bit of character :) I'll update if I can source some really good quality scans of less battered cartons.

When I started this I probably didn't realise there was so many different sized boxes used depending on the game or series so I've done my best to represent these as authentically as possible whilst keeping a consistent width and reasonable file size. Files are currently named as per MAME 0.231 (with a few guesses for future titles) 

Hopefully you like them :)

RELATED ARTWORK

WANTED

• Any hi resolution scans (300dpi or better preferred) or very large photos of the original "Crystal Screen Series" boxes. Ideally I need the whole box, or at least front and sides which are captured directly front on. i.e. not photos from angles. I can fix perspective to a small degree and the bigger the better. There are "re-created boxes out there". Would love to find some original box scans for these if at all possible. 

MISSING BOXES & VARIANTS

• This set only includes Nintendo Game & Watch titles and not other handhelds that are often packaged up as Game & Watch such as Mattel, V-Tech and other non Nintendo games (often contained in the very impressive MADrigal simulation set!)  I might get around to those at some point as there is a lot of love for them, but finding complete high resolution original artwork scans and photos is not easy! (Especially side box art!). There are also country variations, box variants so we'll see how we go :)

Edited by Indyj
Added Super Mario Prize Box

What's New in Version 1.0.2   See changelog

Released

ADDED:

• Super Mario Bros. Special YM-901-S (1987) -  gnw_smbs.png

This is a the original prize box from the Famicon F-1 Grand Prix tournament which also contained the Disk-un case. A huge thanks @FoxyMonty for the rare and clean box photos!

• Like 13
  • Haha 1
  • Unusual Gem 2

User Feedback

You may only provide a review once you have downloaded the file.

ci2own

2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

Perfect 2D boxes! Same as 3D one.

This will give this games, the color and quality it deserves.

Thank you very much!

Response from the author:

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. It does feel good to give something back to such an awesome community. 

Link to review