LaunchBox Community Forums

Unified Lives! 4.4

(1 review)

6 Screenshots

About This File

This theme is my re-take on the excellent Unified-Refried theme and I called it 'Unified Lives!'.  The goal is to present more information to the user during game selection as well as using more graphic assets to complement the display experience.  I hope you like it!  

- An informative game card that shows many details of the currently selected game.

- 6 Game wheel views.  2 vertical, 3 horizontal and 1 text. 

- 4 Platform/playlist views

-  Single views for game and platform text views (these are necessary views)

- Marquee, box 3d, disc, cd, 3d cart and front flyer images are all used.  Visibility rules determine how they appear, depending on platform and also file availability.

- Supports different aspect ratios.  If it doesn't look right on yours please let me know!  

- Wheel Badges for Favorite, Completed and Broken games. 

- Created with Community Theme Creator 2.5

- Dynamically changing theme images based upon current platform/playlist. just like Refried.  

** Rename 'background' folder to enable fanart.

** Rename the 'Devices' folder to always show a random game screenshot in platform/playlist views.

** Place your choice of fanart in 'fanart fallback' folder when game or platform fanart does not exist, a random image is chosen

** ESRB icons.  If you don't want them, delete or rename the icons.  The 'Not Rated' icon is renamed due to the number of titles without rating.  Remove the exclamation from the filename to see it.

*** Do not overwrite previous versions of the theme, replace the folder.  Folder and file structure can change between versions! 

Edited by Rob_G

What's New in Version 4.4   See changelog

Released

- Reworked platform views some more.  Vertical platform/playlist views have a refreshed layout.  I think this one is good.  
- Tweaked options page
- Tweaked game views slightly (info grid spacing on vertical views)
- Fixed text list selected item transparent background
*** Platform\playlist views will show a random game screenshot (with rating) if there is no device image present.  If you don't want to see device images and prefer the random screenshot for everything, just rename the Devices folder.  You can always add more device images if anything is missing.

I am pretty much happy with where it is now...

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

On 1/22/2023 at 11:42 AM, eMonster420 said:

Same here with the vertical wheels. I liked v3 when they were more centered; now they are on the upper side of the screen.  I do love all the other improvements! Especially the animated pointers!! great work!

This is what I am working on for platform vertical wheels.  When a device image isn't found, a random game screenshot will be shown from the platform/playlist.  I don't like leaving big open spaces either.

During all of this I noticed that the info frames had a drop shadow which shouldn't have been there. That is fixed too.

I'm not touching game views, they are fine.  

Some of the description metadata text for gaming systems is far too long to the point you just don't even want to show that stuff.      

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Edited by Rob_G
  • Like 1

@Rob_G Another great update! However, I noticed a strange issue with the platforms and platforms categories text list. The selection bar isn't there. Maybe it's just me? But the selection bar works fine in the games list, but it's not visible with the text-list for platforms and categories.

36 minutes ago, bundangdon said:

@Rob_G Another great update! However, I noticed a strange issue with the platforms and platforms categories text list. The selection bar isn't there. Maybe it's just me? But the selection bar works fine in the games list, but it's not visible with the text-list for platforms and categories.

Thanks for catching this right away.  The selected item background was set to transparent.  I changed it to grey like the game wheel.

A new 4.4 was uploaded.

Rob

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2023 at 8:14 AM, Rob_G said:

What version of Big Box are you running.  You need to be running the latest beta version (13.2).

Rob

So I installed a fresh copy of BigBox and opted into Betas but it looks like the latest I can update to 13.1? Does the theme require 13.2 or 13.1? I've installed the latest version of the theme but I still can't seem to get game wheels with clear logos to populate? I have the latest drivers for my Graphics card but it is an ancient card (AMD Radeon 390) so could that be my issue? I wont have access to a PC with a newer graphics card for a few weeks but plan on trying it out then on a completely new PC. Platform wheels look great and populate just fine still though! BTW thank you for all the amazing work you've done on this theme. It really is the best looking one I've seen!

54 minutes ago, Talphadogg said:

So I installed a fresh copy of BigBox and opted into Betas but it looks like the latest I can update to 13.1? Does the theme require 13.2 or 13.1? I've installed the latest version of the theme but I still can't seem to get game wheels with clear logos to populate? I have the latest drivers for my Graphics card but it is an ancient card (AMD Radeon 390) so could that be my issue? I wont have access to a PC with a newer graphics card for a few weeks but plan on trying it out then on a completely new PC. Platform wheels look great and populate just fine still though! BTW thank you for all the amazing work you've done on this theme. It really is the best looking one I've seen!

13.1 is fine.

When you say you installed a fresh copy, do you mean in a new folder or over top an existing installation?  

Try a brand new folder if you have not already.  Then try importing a single game or small group of games as a test.

What kind of monitor do you have?  What resolution are you running?

Thank you for the kind feedback

Rob

Edited by Rob_G

2 hours ago, Rob_G said:

13.1 is fine.

When you say you installed a fresh copy, do you mean in a new folder or over top an existing installation?  

Try a brand new folder if you have not already.  Then try importing a single game or small group of games as a test.

What kind of monitor do you have?  What resolution are you running?

Thank you for the kind feedback

Rob

Brand new folder and stock options is what I meant by fresh copy. I have two platforms (NES, and SNES) with 3 games each imported and full art packs imported through rom importer (with emu movies log in) so that should be fine. My monitors are this running at 1080p

12 hours ago, Talphadogg said:

Brand new folder and stock options is what I meant by fresh copy. I have two platforms (NES, and SNES) with 3 games each imported and full art packs imported through rom importer (with emu movies log in) so that should be fine. My monitors are this running at 1080p

Check this thread, something similar:

On 1/20/2023 at 5:59 AM, Rob_G said:

Are you using the latest version of BigBox?

Do images show in vertical platform wheels?

removed existing themes folder and redownload but still can't get games to show vertical.  Platform images will display vertical but games are stuck in horizontal no matter what view I pick.

1 hour ago, stino2004 said:

removed existing themes folder and redownload but still can't get games to show vertical.  Platform images will display vertical but games are stuck in horizontal no matter what view I pick.

reset theme to defaults and it seems to have fixed the issue.

On 1/28/2023 at 9:00 AM, Rob_G said:

Check this thread, something similar:

Okay so I looked at that thread and followed all their suggestions and still had the same result. I have been able to try on a different PC (Nvidia card instead of AMD) and had the same problem where the games don't populate if I use a theme view that uses clear logos. :( 
Here's a link to a video of the issue in action. The video is of the fresh copy I installed to test if it was a settings issue.

Just to reiterate what I've tried to fix this issue.
Refresh Image cache both manually (deleting cache folder) and through bigbox settings.
Force populate game wheel.
Fresh install of bigbox updated to newest beta (v13.2) with default settings, Fresh download of unified lives! 4.4 placed in the themes folder. (Not over writing, as this was a fresh install) Only imported 6 games. 3 NES 3 SNES.
Updated all GPU drivers on both rigs, (AMD card vs Nvidia card)
Checked to see if "nahimic" service was running(it was not)
Not running an intel GPU but did turn off my GPU's anti-aliasing on both rigs.
Swapped between three different monitor models. (on both rigs)
and changed to every view in the theme to see if I can get the games to populate with clear logos in any of them. (both rigs)

The only common denominator I can think of is every build of launch box I've tried is running from an external Samsung T5 2TB SSD. I'm about to try running from the internal M.2 C:drive just to make sure that bigbox isn't just finding the same settings folder from my original build or something and checking to see if that's the issue, but as bigbox/launchbox was designed to be portable I doubt it will help. Unless I'm mistaken and there are launchbox files hiding somewhere else?
Folder structures for both builds
E:\Test box\LaunchBox <-----------Fresh copy
E:\Retro-Box\LaunchBox <-----------Original Build
I'm sorry to be such a bother but I'm really at a complete loss at this point as what to do next to get this theme to work. I've never had any issues with a theme before this. :( 

14 minutes ago, Talphadogg said:

nd changed to ev

14 minutes ago, Talphadogg said:

Okay so I looked at that thread and followed all their suggestions and still had the same result. I have been able to try on a different PC (Nvidia card instead of AMD) and had the same problem where the games don't populate if I use a theme view that uses clear logos. :( 
Here's a link to a video of the issue in action. The video is of the fresh copy I installed to test if it was a settings issue.

Just to reiterate what I've tried to fix this issue.
Refresh Image cache both manually (deleting cache folder) and through bigbox settings.
Force populate game wheel.
Fresh install of bigbox updated to newest beta (v13.2) with default settings, Fresh download of unified lives! 4.4 placed in the themes folder. (Not over writing, as this was a fresh install) Only imported 6 games. 3 NES 3 SNES.
Updated all GPU drivers on both rigs, (AMD card vs Nvidia card)
Checked to see if "nahimic" service was running(it was not)
Not running an intel GPU but did turn off my GPU's anti-aliasing on both rigs.
Swapped between three different monitor models. (on both rigs)
and changed to every view in the theme to see if I can get the games to populate with clear logos in any of them. (both rigs)

The only common denominator I can think of is every build of launch box I've tried is running from an external Samsung T5 2TB SSD. I'm about to try running from the internal M.2 C:drive just to make sure that bigbox isn't just finding the same settings folder from my original build or something and checking to see if that's the issue, but as bigbox/launchbox was designed to be portable I doubt it will help. Unless I'm mistaken and there are launchbox files hiding somewhere else?
Folder structures for both builds
E:\Test box\LaunchBox <-----------Fresh copy
E:\Retro-Box\LaunchBox <-----------Original Build
I'm sorry to be such a bother but I'm really at a complete loss at this point as what to do next to get this theme to work. I've never had any issues with a theme before this. :( 

Is this the only theme you are experiencing clear logo issues?

what's contained in your E:\Test box\LaunchBox\Images\Nintendo Entertainment System\Clear Logo folder?
what's contained in your E:\Retro-Box\LaunchBox\Images\Nintendo Entertainment System\Clear Logo folder?

how are your folders configured in launchbox?  for example my NES config is:-

image.thumb.png.7efbeeae773a47c67c02d338d6133421.png

Edited by y2guru

19 minutes ago, y2guru said:

Is this the only theme you are experiencing clear logo issues?

what's contained in your E:\Test box\LaunchBox\Images\Nintendo Entertainment System\Clear Logo folder?
what's contained in your E:\Retro-Box\LaunchBox\Images\Nintendo Entertainment System\Clear Logo folder?

how are your folders configured in launchbox?  for example my NES config is:-

image.thumb.png.7efbeeae773a47c67c02d338d6133421.png

E:\Test box\LaunchBox\Images\Nintendo Entertainment System\Clear Logo
Contains these images and folders
1843778192_clearlogofolder.thumb.png.0da34fa7f2ca92b17f862a930f234f74.png
E:\Test box\LaunchBox\Images\Super Nintendo Entertainment System\Clear Logo
360725981_clearlogofolder.thumb.png.8940205751aa5c1713f6f0c9057b35b6.png
So the clear logos are there. I think my last ditch effort finally paid off though. I just installed a brand new copy of Bigbox and the theme to the C:drive and the game wheel images finally populated.... So basically I just can't run my build portably with this theme......................... :/ Any idea why running off the Portable SSD would cause them images not to load like they do on the C:Drive? This is the external SSD I'm running. Is it not fast/powerful enough?

Just now, Talphadogg said:

E:\Test box\LaunchBox\Images\Nintendo Entertainment System\Clear Logo
1843778192_clearlogofolder.thumb.png.0da34fa7f2ca92b17f862a930f234f74.png
E:\Test box\LaunchBox\Images\Super Nintendo Entertainment System\Clear Logo
360725981_clearlogofolder.thumb.png.8940205751aa5c1713f6f0c9057b35b6.png
So the clear logos are there. I think my last ditch effort finally paid off though. I just installed a brand new copy of Bigbox and the theme to the C:drive and the game wheel images finally populated.... So basically I just can't run my build portably with this theme......................... :/ Any idea why running off the Portable SSD would cause them images not to load like they do on the C:Drive? This is the external SSD I'm running. Is it not fast/powerful enough?

i've used that model SSD in the past and had no issues at all.  I think the issue may have been the wrong version of Bigbox, must be minimum 13.1 beta 2 in order for that theme to run.

6 minutes ago, y2guru said:

i've used that model SSD in the past and had no issues at all.  I think the issue may have been the wrong version of Bigbox, must be minimum 13.1 beta 2 in order for that theme to run.

I was running 13.2 beta in both my original build and test build (both from my external) but the fresh copy on my C:drive is 13.1.
It's gotta be the SSD, because I just copied the test build from the external to a separate folder on a different internal (D:drive) and didn't change any of the settings and it worked perfectly. It has to be my external drive, right?

On 2/16/2023 at 8:00 PM, Talphadogg said:

I was running 13.2 beta in both my original build and test build (both from my external) but the fresh copy on my C:drive is 13.1.
It's gotta be the SSD, because I just copied the test build from the external to a separate folder on a different internal (D:drive) and didn't change any of the settings and it worked perfectly. It has to be my external drive, right?

Is the drive formatted NTFS?

Rob

57 minutes ago, Rob_G said:

Is the drive formatted NTFS?

Rob

No the drive is actually exFat. I'll back it up in the future and reformat it to NTFS and see if that makes a difference. ATM I don't have space to house the data that's currently on there anywhere else. I really appreciate all the help you all have given though! Also this is the best theme man, I'm really grateful for all the hard work you've put into it!

7 hours ago, Talphadogg said:

No the drive is actually exFat. I'll back it up in the future and reformat it to NTFS and see if that makes a difference. ATM I don't have space to house the data that's currently on there anywhere else. I really appreciate all the help you all have given though! Also this is the best theme man, I'm really grateful for all the hard work you've put into it!

That might be your issue right there.

Rob

On 2/18/2023 at 5:28 AM, Rob_G said:

That might be your issue right there.

Rob

You were indeed correct. I've managed to transfer all of the data off and reformat to NTFS instead of exfat and your amazing theme does indeed work perfectly now. Thank you for all your help! Cheers

• Like 1

Hello. I recently discovered this theme and I really like it. How do you see sharing the "Theme Workshop"?. I would like the videos to fit better and for there to be no black borders. Thank you.