LaunchBox Community Forums

Copy Metadata (plugin): Apply metadata from someone else's XML file to your own. 1.0.0

(1 review)

2 Screenshots

About This File

Scenario:
"I have a build where I'm manually changing every game genre to a single genre/subgenre value and would love to share it, but without a tool to apply my metadata to their own it's kinda pointless."

Solution:
Copy Metadata plugin.

Purpose:
Import selected metadata from someone else's platform_name.xml file into one of your existing Platforms.

This will scan a LaunchBox platform_name.xml file and compare it your existing platform.  For all matching games*, it will update the metadata you chose to have imported.  

(*See Finding Matching Games for how games are matched up.)

Metadata fields to import (can select one or more):

• Genre
  • Series
  • Developer
  • Publisher
  • Notes
  • ReleaseDate
  • DatabaseID
  • VideoUrl
  • WikipediaURL
  • CustomField (up to 3)

Warning:

• This will REPLACE any existing metadata for the fields you've selected. There is no un-do button.
  • The exception is Custom Field(s). 
    • This will add new Custom Fields.
    • If an existing Custom Field with the same Name as one be imported is found, you have the option to
      • Overwrite your existing Custom Field
      • Add a new Custom Field (creating 2 with the same Name but different Values)

How to:
Requires LaunchBox 13.3 or newer

• Download, unblock the zip file, copy the contents of the zip to ..\LaunchBox\Plugins\
    • i.e. D:\LaunchBox\Plugins\CopyMetadata\CopyMetadata.dll
  • Start LaunchBox
  • Click Tools
  • Select "Copy Metadata"
  • Click Browse to locate and select the xml file you want to import from
    • (optional) Drag & Drop the file onto the TextBlock (directly above the Browse button)
  • Select your platform you want the metadata imported to
    • (The plugin will attempt to 'select' the appropriate one for you)
  • Check the metadata items you want imported
  • To import a Custom Field
    • Click "Include Custom Field(s)"
    • Click the dropdown box and select the one you want imported
    • Check the box next to it to have it imported
    • (optional: you can select up to 2 others to be imported)
  • Click Import

Finding Matching Games:
Every effort is made to properly match games in your existing platform to an external platform_name.xml.

1. It will first use the games LBDatabaseID # to ensure an exact match.
  2. If there are no matching database ID #'s, it will compare the games file_name.ext.
  3. If there are still no matches, it will look for a matching game Title.

Concept for this plugin was inspired by @C-Beats who caught me when I was bored and looking for a plugin idea. ;) 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Game On 2
  • Unusual Gem 1

User Feedback

You may only provide a review once you have downloaded the file.

DerSchlachter

I'm not sorry to compliment again. I tested the plugin using the XML provided by @C-Beats as a basis. Especially the import of additional data fields, like here based on film, music etc., have supplemented my already existing data and I can create further special filters via Launchbox or specialize existing ones. Super cool to exchange your own xml here in the forum!

• Like 2
Link to review