Most importantly, I got the idea from FASM's topic posted a while back so a lot of this credit goes to him/her. However, I noticed it only halfway functioned and didn't really do what I wanted it to. An excellent start though!
I have created a video with the tutorial in the description over at
but for those who just want to get into it, here as follow.
FULLSCREEN MANUAL SUPPORT, BIGBOX
Go here http://www.mediafire.com/file/hzgyg8awfbzd8dn/SumatraPDF.exe and get Sumatra PDF.
Go here http://www.mediafire.com/file/dnb7v7wdfwl31ue/Chrono+Trigger.pdf and get a test manual if you want.
- Put SumatraPDF.exe anywhere you'd like, I chose a folder I named SumatraPDF inside my LB folder.
- Click SumatraPDF.exe one time, it will make a txt file called sumatraPDFsettings, open this file (default should be in notepad).
- At the very top is a line that says EscToExit, change this to True. This will let you instantly exit with the ESC key.
- Hold CTRL + F and search RememberStatePerDocument and change this to = false (manuals will be restarted when reopened)
- Do the same with DefaultDisplayMode and change it to = single page (this will fix seeing the bottom page of the next page like seen in the Final Fantasy manual in the video.)
- Do the same with Window State, it's right under the last line. Change the number to = 3 (this is borderless fullscreen)
- Save the document, exit.
- Right click a .pdf file on your computer or use the one I included (most manuals are in this format) and click 'open with' then 'choose another app'.
- MAKE SURE to click 'always use this app to open .PDF files' FIRST, even before selecting one, do that now.
- click 'show more' then scroll to the bottom, click 'use another app on this PC'
- Locate where you put the SumatraPDF.exe and select it.
- It should either open the manual in fullscreen OR go back to the app menu with SumatraPDF added to it. If it went back to the menu, click SumatraPDF and click 'okay'
- TEST it! The manual should open in fullscreen, move with arrow keys.
CONTROLLER SUPPORT FOR MANUALS, BIGBOX
Go here *link removed* to download Controller Companion.
- Install Controller Companion where ever you like. I put it in it's own folder called Controller Companion inside my LB folder.
- For the purpose of this tutorial, I am using a Wireless Xbox One controller. Connect your controller and open Controller Companion.
- If it opens up on screen, close it. If not, right click the icon in your taskbar and open settings.
- For right now, leave balloon tips and play sounds on. Turn on Start Controller Companion when Windows Starts Up to On if you use Big Box a lot. There will be an option later to turn it off with your controller when not using it.
- Click the Bindings tab. Now this is a personal preference, I like to clear every binded button on my controller, you can do this by selecting the button icon and clicking 'nothing'.
- Select the Left D-Pad button and make it the left arrow key. It is located in 'keyboard' then 'navigation and edit'. Do the same with the Right D-Pad button and make it the right arrow key.
- Click Apply and close out of the window.
- TEST it! Open notepad, type a few letters/numbers and use your controllers D-Pad to see if you can move between the letters and numbers with it. If it doesn't work, try again after holding the SELECT/BACK button and pressing the START button.
FINAL STEPS, YAY!
- Your manuals should be located in your LaunchBox folder under 'manuals' inside the system of the game. They should be named exactly as the roms name. For example, if Final Fantasy 3's rom is named 'Final Fantasy 3 (USA) then your manual for that game should be named 'Final Fantasy 3 (USA).pdf'.
- Open Launchbox and go to options. Go to 'controller automation' turn this on and make the buttons as so. Hold Button = START and Close the Active Window = SELECT or BACK button.
- TEST it! Go to a game, select a manual and see if it opens in fullscreen. If not, hold the SELECT/BACK button and then press the START button. To close out of a manual and any running emulator currently in Big Box, hold the START button and press the SELECT/BACK button.
SUCCESS! A final note, Controller Companion can be active in every single window applicable in Windows.To toggle it between off and onat anytime, hold the SELECT/BACK button and press the START button. It can do many more things than just arrow keys such as toggle virtual keyboards and such. There are many detailed tutorials on Google and YouTube.
Enjoy and support the LB BB team! Hopefully in days come a true plugin will be built for BB but for nice, this works just fine!
Also, forgive me for making another topic like this a couple weeks ago, the last one didn't have a tutorial and people were asking me. I'm not trying to showcase my video on YouTube, rather, I am trying to showcase it I guess Anywho, much love and LBBBFTW!