LaunchBox Community Forums

The New Wiki Discussion Thread

bd00

Figured I might as well start a thread to discuss the new Wiki. Looks good so far @Jason. I added emulator settings as a quick test. A few of things off the bat: Can you remove the "SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL" sidebar from the Wiki? Give us more space to work with, at least on the entry page. How do the tags work? Is it single word or separated by comma's etc. New entries are posted above the links to the wikis (BB & LB) on the main page. It might be better if you do this below, if at all. Or maybe have the 5 most recent entries below each wiki, just the title with a link. E.g.
Spoiler

Big Box Wiki

Welcome to the Big Box Wiki. This Wiki is managed entirely by the LaunchBox community. Content will be added very shortly. This entry was posted on July 13, 2015. Recent entries:
    Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

LaunchBox Wiki

Welcome to the LaunchBox Wiki. This Wiki is managed entirely by the LaunchBox community. Content will be added very shortly. This entry was posted on July 13, 2015. Recent entries:
    Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah
That's all for now, I would like to hear other peoples thoughts.

Thanks, Mark. I did a bit of restructuring. The plugin I'm using for the wiki isn't completely customizable, so I can't do everything, but this should help. Now, the Wiki link takes you to the LaunchBox Wiki page, which seems to work a lot better. Everything can go underneath that page. Per the sidebar, I'm working on removing it. Looks like it'll take some code, surprisingly, but yeah, I agree; it needs removed. For tags, yup; they're comma-separated. Thanks again. :)

The landing page looks much tidier. The sub wikis works well. I will start contributing tomorrow. I don't know where to start. Maybe create a small list of what you think should be added first and people can choose something from the list to add. Just to get the ball rolling. Once people start populating the wiki, we will have a better idea of how it should work and look. Also, is it possible for us to add/edit the categories, I can't find a way to do it. Maybe I am just tired and missing it. Right, I am off to bed. I will pick this up tomorrow.

OK, first off we cannot edit the landing page, so are unable to create new sub-wikis. This leaves us pretty much stuck at the moment. I think, to get started we should do something like this (we can always change this at a later date):
Spoiler

The LaunchBox Wiki

(Landing page)

LaunchBox

(sub-wiki)
    Introduction to LaunchBox The GUI Options Overview Customising Theme (Premium Only) Using a Controller/Joystick With LaunchBox Basic Setup and Steam Import Tutorial Importing ROM's Importing PC Games Importing MS-DOS Games Installing DOS Games Manually Adding Games Manually Editing Games Deleting Games & Platforms Importing/Exporting a LaunchBox Library Edit Default DOSbox Configuration Manage Emulators Emulator Settings (Command-Line Options) Manage Platforms Downloading Missing Metadata and Images Update Game Synopsis Removing Old/Unused Images Refreshing All Images (each of these is a sub-wiki of the LaunchBox sub-wiki) (these can also have their own sub-wikis if needed)

BigBox

(sub-wiki)
    Introduction to BigBox Mode The GUI Navigation and Hotkeys Controller Navigation Options Overview etc.

Other General Support

(sub-wiki)
    Setting up an Xbox 360 Chatpad with Windows Download Links to Abandonware/Shareware Games etc. etc.

Editing This Wiki

(sub-wiki)
What do you think? You need to unlock the landing page, or reorganise it before we can start. EDIT: Also, I think videos as well as text (and images) would be a good idea... *nudge* @SentaiBrad

Now that there is a new wiki thread would it not also be a good place for say people to upload front boxart for games as the new format in LaunchBox makes it east to say copy folder of front boxart jpgs and upload them here? just a suggestion then if members have better box fronts they could replace ones with their better or add missing front covers per platforms, or even a new tab for uploading box fronts fanart etc.

Actually I'd rather keep images in the forums, Martin, though we can certainly link to forums articles from the Wiki. Didn't realize the root page was locked down, sorry for that. I'll jump on fixing that right away. I'm out of town so I've been back and forth with Internet access. Your list looks like a great start, @bd00. Thanks for that. :)

@bd00, not sure what might have happened, but I just did a test with a standard forum account and I was able to edit the main wiki page. I was in the middle of changing things before, so it's possible that it messed with things while you were testing. Can you try again?

Thanks Jason, that worked. OK, I have started the framework of the Wiki. Let me know if it is the kind of thing you were looking for. No actual content has been added yet. Actually, I did add your videos to the relevant pages, but they still need the text/images version. That reminds me, we could do with the option to upload images like here in the forum. As it stands, any images must be from external sources (the few I added are currently in my Dropbox).   Anybody who wants to contribute, just choose a topic and add the content. Even if you just add 1 entry, its better than nothing. If everyone did just 1, this first phase would be pretty much complete. C'mon guys, chip in.

I wasn't sure where to put this thought... Prefacing this with: I haven't really taken the time to figure the new Wiki out. LaunchBox uses WMP for its videos and audio, correct? Therefore unsupported filetypes won't play when associated as a game's music or video file? Maybe the Wiki could contain links to good codecs to enable (for example) .flac support in WMP so .flac files will work properly with LaunchBox? That's personally the filetype I tend to use. I would start this list myself, but... I forget which specific codecs I've installed. If somebody knows how I can check that sort of thing, I would gladly hunt down the proper links and get the ball rolling.