LaunchBox Community Forums

My RPG is called Invention Destruction, come play and test it please!

SentaiBrad

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use 7zip. Yeah, its the oddest thing. It recognizes the file extension, puts the 7z icon on it, but when I try to open it I get the error "Cannot open (path to file: file name) as an archive." I saw this behavior a while ago, actually when I downloaded some PSX games. Some unzipped some would spit the same error. I'd like to give it go, maybe just the regular RAR will work? Should 7zip handle the rar5? if not, I could totally download winrar.

Whistles. You hit the nail on the head without realizing it. Funny what doesn't occur to you. I installed the latest 64 bit 7zip and it opens now. We're full steam ahead. Cool The roommate and I just played until I got an error saying it failed to load an ogg file... right after I plugged in my headset and was ready to rock. Dude, I'm dying laughing. I'd play this game. Was actually excited to play IS with my new gear haha. Stuff you did well: natural dialogue outlines the main character well, humor and build up. Plus it looks surprisingly good. You did the art? Also, you baited me into clicking stuff that I didn't think you had planned for, IE the graffiti, and I was pleasantly surprised that you had planned for it. My roommate is already quoting three lines, but I won't spoil. On the con side of that, some of the dialogue is too literal, and some minor grammar stuff. It needs revision. Prepare for more willy nilly clicks. Like I tried to go up the road instead of going home. You could add a line at the edge of the map, something sullen like "There's nothing for me that way." The number one appeal thus far is seeing this character react to things, people and the environment. More of that, and A plus.

Yea I love world interaction, making the character and the world feel real. I didn't make the art at all. I purchased DLC packs for RPG Maker VX Ace and found commercially viable music and art to go along with it as well. I am personally have a big fight with myself over the art. If you compared the MV specific art to this converted Ace art you'd see a huge difference. Yea, I am bad at grammar. I try really really hard but... To literal in what sense? Would you happen to know a piece of the dialogue off hand? Sometimes you can be really close to a project and not see the small things. I appreciate you taking the time to play it! Tell your room mate I said thank you too.

For curiosity's sake too I was curious about rar vs rar5 specifically. I knew it was better, but not to what extent.
When you're choosing a compression type in WinRAR, "RAR" uses v2.9 (sometimes referred to as v4) of the algotrithm, where selecting "RAR5" uses v5. Both are detailed in the wiki article, which others have already linked to. RAR5 supports some additional encryption features, but you're asking which one is better for compression - from the wiki, it looks like RAR5 might by trivially better for compression speed and smaller in some very specific cases, but the advantages appear to be all on the side of the viewer/decompressor: Improved damaged archive recovery Improved file table (meaning quicker browsing of an archive) Multicore decompression support In exchange, you're taking the chance that the end user won't have a program that supports the new format, and won't be able to decompress your archive. However, if you're keeping the archive for yourself or you're sending it to somebody that you know has a program that can view it, it looks like RAR5 is the better format.

fromlostdays said I konked out early, but I'd be happy to go over it again and give you more details this evening, and examples of what I mean. Do you want to discuss this somewhere that's not a public forum? By the way, if you ever want or need someone to proof the text, I'd be happy to.
If you've got Steam or Skype you're more than welcome to add me. The reason I don't mind here is because I want anyone to be able to help me, but in case of people not wanting to be spoiled of my game (this is all weird stuff to say when talking about MY game...) then it would probably be a better idea for us to talk elsewhere.

Sorry about the late reply. I tried copying down a transcript of what was accessible that evening (in terms of dialogue and text) and having the game open and MS Word crashed my comp and I lost it. Since then its been holiday busy. If you have a transcript of all the text (I'm not sure how you're going about making the game) send me whatever you want and I'll proof it all and provide suggestions (for what they are worth). My only beef with this is it would be a huge spoiler. I'm going out on limb here, but it seems like what you need is for someone else to hammer out the details while you progress further into making the game. But it may be early for that. That's what beta testing is for. :D If I'm understanding correctly, you're looking for suggestions now as to not the make the same mistakes throughout the game? I'd say don't worry about that and keep cranking. I can help with the grammar stuff (believe it or not I do it for a living) and like the apartment building looked a little weird toward the roof, but other than that, its good man. You should totally finish and hash that stuff out later.

fromlostdays said Sorry about the late reply. I tried copying down a transcript of what was accessible that evening (in terms of dialogue and text) and having the game open and MS Word crashed my comp and I lost it. Since then its been holiday busy. If you have a transcript of all the text (I'm not sure how you're going about making the game) send me whatever you want and I'll proof it all and provide suggestions (for what they are worth). My only beef with this is it would be a huge spoiler. I'm going out on limb here, but it seems like what you need is for someone else to hammer out the details while you progress further into making the game. But it may be early for that. That's what beta testing is for. :D If I'm understanding correctly, you're looking for suggestions now as to not the make the same mistakes throughout the game? I'd say don't worry about that and keep cranking. I can help with the grammar stuff (believe it or not I do it for a living) and like the apartment building looked a little weird toward the roof, but other than that, its good man. You should totally finish and hash that stuff out later.
Thanks for wanting to help, I do appreciate it. I was honestly just more curious about what users thought of the game. If they liked what I had so far. Obviously combat isn't in, decision making isn't in, but for the most part this is what the game would look like hopefully more robust. I just want to make sure this is something someone would want to spend their time on or If I really sucked at it and should focus on other stuff.

I can't speak for everyone but what's unique about this game is the main character. He's quirky, startling, honest and even pitiable enough not only to keep me playing, but to click around just to see what he has to say about shit. haha. Would make a really good touch game on a tablet for sure. But, if you aren't going to focus on some deep combat mechanics or weighty decisions, you do need to have a deeper story than the guy plays an online game. The story could take place inside the game... inside the game... mind you, but it needs to be fully fleshed out, where ever it is. Watching the main character observe and interact with the environment and people Plus a good story arc = win. Is he going to be dynamic? Like will he learn some kind of lesson and change his ways, maybe reunite with his family? Or is he going to be the same loner person in the end? What events drive this conclusion? That kind of stuff. Even deeper question: this online world... is it true escapism, like is it high fantasy wherein he pretends to be someone else to escape his life...... OR is he attracted to the game because it REMINDS him of his real life, but in this virtual world he's just more equipped to deal with these situations emotionally? Like does he go there to figure himself out. A lot of good places you could take this one. Other questions to explore: How low can he really go? He seems pretty low in the beginning, unable to find employment or socialize, but can it get worse for him? What would drive that? What would it look like? Is there a warning there for people? Is being more social really the only positive resolution for someone like him, or is there some kind of way he can start putting his personality to work for him in productive ways? Etc. Anyway, just my two cents. Obviously those are rhetorical questions. And no problem. It actually sounds fun. :) It just occurred to me, and I'm not sure if it occurred to you, but so far it looks like you're making a modern day Catcher in the Rye.

You're asking all the questions I asked my self. Obviously, I can't answer any of them without giving away plot, but needless to say I've thought about all of that a lot and the story will evolve. I hope for it to not stay stagnant and plot will begin to unfold pretty much right after where the demo ends, which is partly why I chose to end it there. I do like him responding to the world around him. I do like that most objects and people he has a response to. That will be something I try and keep in throughout.

• 1 month later...
I was sitting listening to the opening music until it was over XD Oh dear, it gives such a melancholic and nostalgic feeling. The nonstalgia is probably from some PSX RPG games. The opening of Romancing Saga came to mind while listening. Definitely nice. After playing this I am 100% sure I will want to watch Anime >.> *sighs softly from the nice song* -Edit- Ok I got the ogg error too at the point where he connects the VR googles on the PC. Screenshot_7.png The problem seems to be the game looks for "Town ¦ Star Refuge - Joel Steudler.ogg", but the actual file is missing "¦". Adding that with an extra space let me past that error thankfully. I would be so upset if I could not play more XD -Edit 2- Ok one more sound error. It seems it was missing Move.ogg, if that is supposed to exist. Screenshot_9.png Just duplicated Move1.ogg and renamed it. It happened when I tried to move from the room in the picture below, back to the main lobby room.
Spoiler
Screenshot_10.png
-Edit 3- I am getting the last error is meant as the end of the line, the blip1.ogg XD Aw well, shame it is not longer! My favorite part from what I have seen, apart from the special avatar people, is this XD Lol, loved not only the reference, but his reaction even more. Screenshot_6.png

I've since fixed all those errors actually, It's just development moves very slowly. Days of work to generally get extremely frustrated. It's hard to work on it too, my job here isn't full time but it's enough. I appreciate you taking the time to go through it though, I really appreciate that. Posts like these make me want to keep working on it for sure. Physical Labor is hard on the body, Game Development, and App development for that matter (cough cough @Jason), is just extremely draining on the mind. I seriously feel extra tired on the days I develop so I end up doing it a lot less than I want. I have a vacation this week, I still spend my time on the forums and I built a PC. xD I will finish this game come hell or high water though, I just need that motivation. Edit: Sorry if that sounds like I'm complaining... venting a bit maybe, but just being honest.

Actually it looked quite enjoyable, enough to make me want to see what is behind the ladies that tell me that the section is off limits XD I imagine if this game is all you, it is far more than hard. I put together a game in the past with a friend, although that was I think either RPG Maker 95 or maybe 2000. It was fun to start making it and learn how the whole thing works and put together events. In the end it ended really short, since he lost motivation and eventually me too, due to life. Although it was fun, cause we were doing it for ourselves. I am not sure why you are doing this, but I think if you do it, you should be doing it first for yourself, meaning you enjoy what do you. Feeling stressed and tired, can not produce something good for sure. When you rest and let it all out of the window, when you return to whatever you were doing, everything seem better. I do hope a muse will visit you eventually and bring you inspiration. Just remember, except if you are a perfectionist, perfection does not always make things "perfect".

=) I hope it will eventually continue, even if it will be a short story. Makes me wonder what will happen when he will visit that new area. If anything, long story, short story or incomplete, I hope he will have a good ending.