LaunchBox Community Forums

I've Conquered MESS - MESS Default Command Line Compendium!

SentaiBrad

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

did you try coleco -cart without the path to the rom In MAME just coleco -cart works without a path. Like I said I never got it working without the software list roms

No, as I'm starting from a command line with Retroarch and roms are located outside of that folder.

Regardless, the error was an obvious but easy to overlook one: mame2014_libretro is prior to mame/mess integration DOH!  So, switching to the most recent mame core worked with roms using softlist roms.  So - problem solved for now!

A note of interest to any who end up reading this thread and still have problems: when I added coleco -cart in the launchbox platform options, it caused a crash, but worked fine without them - I suspect due to softlists and the hashfiles.

The more you know...

Edited by grimm.beam

• 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, orkoapprentice said:

I've about given up on this one. I can't get the f$%#ing thing to work, no way, no how. 

What system are you trying to get working through MESS?  Someone here might have a clue.

Also, Mess/Mame/Ume RA core or standalone, and which version?

I have my MESS systems in Platforms under Launchbox and they are not named according to the MESS xml/MAME structure or whatever and I have all BIOS files for each system

With standalone MAME I can get everything working with the command lines however I would like to use Retroarch and get rid of MAME standalone

WIth Mame Latest Retroarch core I cannot get any of those commands to work. Is there anyway to get it to work without placing roms in Retroarch\system\mame folder and renaming the roms to MAME format? If so how do I need to setup Retroarch command lines within Launchbox? Thanks!

5 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

I don't think anyone has figured out how to do this in the RA core yet or if its even possible to do without using the software list roms.

Correct - you have to use softwarelist roms in order to use the RA core....well...technically you CAN use non softwarelist roms with the RA core, but it involves making a .cmd file for each and every rom, which is far more work than just using softwarelist roms.

1 hour ago, elitemanhood said:

I have my MESS systems in Platforms under Launchbox and they are not named according to the MESS xml/MAME structure or whatever and I have all BIOS files for each system

With standalone MAME I can get everything working with the command lines however I would like to use Retroarch and get rid of MAME standalone

WIth Mame Latest Retroarch core I cannot get any of those commands to work. Is there anyway to get it to work without placing roms in Retroarch\system\mame folder and renaming the roms to MAME format? If so how do I need to setup Retroarch command lines within Launchbox? Thanks!

See reply above, but just to be 100% clear - rom location can be anywhere - and also, softwarelist roms are a specific format, so renaming them won't work.  Some might, but the majority will not.

1 minute ago, DOS76 said:

could you get the .cmd files to use a variable for the rom and it will launch whatever rom is selected.

I couldn't figure out how and gave up after a few days - I believe the problem was that there's no way for launchbox to inject the rom name into the .cmd, and once you have RA parse the .cmd, anything after is garbage to it and not parsed correctly - which was the original problem in my case (having it parse arguments at all outside of a .cmd)

I suspect it isn't possible as otherwise, I think someone on the HS forums would have solved/documented it by now instead of sticking to the .cmd method.

2 minutes ago, elitemanhood said:

So software list roms have to be in Mame format basically? I have no clue were to get Mame format roms for most of the other non MAME Arcade systems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, they have to be in mame format, and while we can't directly link anywhere, I've found that if you're google-savy, the internet archive and team mame are your best friends.

Edited by grimm.beam

1 minute ago, elitemanhood said:

So software list roms have to be in Mame format basically? I have no clue were to get Mame format roms for most of the other non MAME Arcade systems

You could try the Dome of Pleasure.

4 minutes ago, elitemanhood said:

Is there anyway to rename my existing rom files to match the software list or it is a completely manual process?

No, as it also involved splitting the roms internally in many cases.  Trust me, it's much easier to google "softwarelistroms team mame archive"

Edited by grimm.beam

if softwarelist games have short names it can cause an issue with LB not being able to scrap them properly. I just use stand alone MAME for most of my Arcade stuff and the consoles that don't really have better options available for them.

5 minutes ago, elitemanhood said:

Cool thanks so basically if I have romlist in Mame format and place in Launcbox\Games\System folder and all my bios files are in Retorach\system\mame\roms folder it should launch with default Retroarch -mamecore switch?

Not even that complex.  Roms can be wherever, and just make sure the correct bios files are in the same directoy as the roms themselves.  Don't even have to use any special switches or arguments  - with cartridge based (odyssey2 colecovision intellivision etc) systems at least.  If you're emulating something that uses tapes or floppies, it might be more complex than that.

You *DO* however need to have the hashfiles from standalone mame in the your retroarch\system\mame\ directory

Edited by grimm.beam

2 minutes ago, grimm.beam said:

Not even that complex.  Roms can be wherever, and just make sure the correct bios files are in the same directoy as the roms themselves.  Don't even have to use any special switches or arguments  - with cartridge based (odyssey2 colecovision intellivision etc) systems at least.  If you're emulating something that uses tapes or floppies, it might be more complex than that.

You *DO* however need to have the hashfiles from standalone mame in the your retroarch\system\mame\ directory

My bad - there is another caveat - the directory structure of where you do keep your roms have to be named specifically for the mame RA core to know what hash file to parse it against.  Forgot about that.

6 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

if softwarelist games have short names it can cause an issue with LB not being able to scrap them properly. I just use stand alone MAME for most of my Arcade stuff and the consoles that don't really have better options available for them.

This is true.

The reality is that if you're using mame/mess to emulate an entire rom collection, standalone using roms of your choice is MUCH easier.  RA core can be done, but it's impractical for hundreds or thousands of games unless you're willing to put a lot of work into it.