LaunchBox Community Forums

I've Conquered MESS - MESS Default Command Line Compendium!

SentaiBrad

Lol, yeah Dos the 5200 is one of those systems for me now im just tinkering with the emulation of it just because of..... well just because. It's really not a system I care enough about to play the games on because like I said earlier the vast majority of games are arcade ports and I would rather play the arcade version, like Moon Patrol. There really is only a small handful of games that I would play on it like H.E.R.O. which is the better version compared to tehe 2600 version. Pitfall would be nice to get it working though, it is a graphical upgrade and a classic.

• 3 months later...

If you do want to edit a system, you can load up the system in MESS, press Tab and go to the 'This Machine' menu option and edit them in here. This should be for that specific platform, not the single game.

But, like @lordmonkus said too, it should automatically do some of it for you. There might be the odd system like CD-i that has it's own way of wanting to do things and will require manual input.

On 17/11/2016 at 8:49 PM, SentaiBrad said:

If you do want to edit a system, you can load up the system in MESS, press Tab and go to the 'This Machine' menu option and edit them in here. This should be for that specific platform, not the single game.

But, like @lordmonkus said too, it should automatically do some of it for you. There might be the odd system like CD-i that has it's own way of wanting to do things and will require manual input.

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

I edited the doc with a link. It should have been there from the start, whoops. Open the link, search for the platform you want and then take the shorthand name from the site and search for it on the doc. I also suggest using MAME and not stand alone MESS anymore, I should update the post.

• 1 month later...

I've found that as of latest MAME standalone revision (and quite possible some earlier revisions as well), if you're using launchbox, there's no longer any actual need for hashfiles - at least not for cartridge systems like Colecovision and Atari 5200.

Now if only I could get the Retroarch mame/mame2014 core working for loose systems (works fine for arcade roms) as I'm unable to replicate my exact overlay display with mame standalone (plus out of box controller mapping)...

MAME should controller map right away. As far as getting the games to run, MESS, in MAME in RetroArch is a bit more confusing. You'll need the commands, on top of the core command line, and to make sure the BIOS are in the proper location. If I recall, at one point, they needed to be in the system folder, inside another folder named after the internal system name? Not sure if that's the case anymore, or if they can go loose in the system folder or with the rest of the roms, but MESS in MAME in RA has always annoyed me too.

1 hour ago, SentaiBrad said:

MAME should controller map right away. As far as getting the games to run, MESS, in MAME in RetroArch is a bit more confusing. You'll need the commands, on top of the core command line, and to make sure the BIOS are in the proper location. If I recall, at one point, they needed to be in the system folder, inside another folder named after the internal system name? Not sure if that's the case anymore, or if they can go loose in the system folder or with the rest of the roms, but MESS in MAME in RA has always annoyed me too.

Trying to figure out folder structure now for the bios files as I can only assume that's the issue since regardless of where I put the bios (including not having it anywhere), the error returned in the retroarch log is always the same ex:

RetroArch [libretro DEBUG] :: Searching for driver Beamrider (USA)
RetroArch [libretro WARN] :: Driver Beamrider (USA) not found -1
RetroArch [libretro ERROR] :: Driver not found: Beamrider (USA)

Bios itself works when zipped placed in roms with standalone mame.

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

In RA its System\MAME\ROMs\A5200 last time I tried to use it in RA though you actually need the hash files and the softwarelist roms. Its been awhile since I MESSed with it.

I was hoping it wouldn't need software list roms as the standalone doesn't require them, but I'll give it a shot.

So is it System\MAME\ROMs\A5200 regardless of core (Mame, Mame2014, Ume)?

System\MAME\ROMs\A5200.zip or  System\MAME\ROMs\A5200\a5200.zip?

Haha @ MESSed

EDIT: seems part of the issue is command line parameters not being read.  As an example, I'm launching (from within retroarch via command line to eliminate any other issues) the following:

retroarch --verbose >> log.txt 2>&1 -L "cores\mame2014_libretro.dll" coleco -cart "c:\games\roms\coleco\congo.zip"

So is there an issue with my syntax above?   Because the logfile indicates it's looking for components to the arcade version and not the coleco cart version.  Hash files are in system\mame\hash and the archive matches what's listed in the .xml file.  I've also dropped the bio both zipped and not into System\MAME\ROMS\  and System\MAME\ROMS\coleco\

Edited by grimm.beam