LaunchBox Community Forums

TheGamesDB server is down hard.

ps4isthefuture

Jason and the Launch Box Community, I know everyone that uses LB is most likely aware that thegamesdb has been going through moving their site to a new server over the last month. There had been a little down time and now it's down hard. I'm not sure your guys' ties to them but depending on the nature of the reasoning and amount of time for them to become operational (if they can), maybe a backup (or replacement) should be implemented. I am in no way placing blame on the guys working on thegamesdb project, they all have normal jobs too and this is an extra project for them also. I have the utmost respect for their work and their efforts to solve their current issues. However saying that, the DB being down is crippling the main feature in LB. And if they cannot resolve their issues soon I fear it could unintentionally harm the great reputation that is building for Launch Box. At least there should be a redundancy built-in if one DB is non-operational. To Jason and the Launch Box Community, thank you for listening to my concern. Also thank you for the Launch Box program! Edit: Ok just checked and now they are back up and running. But it still might be a good idea to have a redundancy built into the app. Thanks everyone!

• 6 months later...
ps4isthefuture said Jason and the Launch Box Community, I know everyone that uses LB is most likely aware that thegamesdb has been going through moving their site to a new server over the last month. There had been a little down time and now it's down hard. I'm not sure your guys' ties to them but depending on the nature of the reasoning and amount of time for them to become operational (if they can), maybe a backup (or replacement) should be implemented. I am in no way placing blame on the guys working on thegamesdb project, they all have normal jobs too and this is an extra project for them also. I have the utmost respect for their work and their efforts to solve their current issues. However saying that, the DB being down is crippling the main feature in LB. And if they cannot resolve their issues soon I fear it could unintentionally harm the great reputation that is building for Launch Box. At least there should be a redundancy built-in if one DB is non-operational. To Jason and the Launch Box Community, thank you for listening to my concern. Also thank you for the Launch Box program! Edit: Ok just checked and now they are back up and running. But it still might be a good idea to have a redundancy built into the app. Thanks everyone!
We don't have any affiliation with them. They offer their data up for free with a CC License and they offer an API, or at the very least, an easy way to obtain it. Their site has been having issues for the past week. As far as redudancy goes, we do. LocalDB is a GDB backup that Jason started to perform several months ago. He updates it a lot, but... the more time goes on the more and more creating our own database becomes prutinent. I've been working hard on trying to get a default emulator in LaunchBox for almost every console and when the time comes for us to create our own database, we'll be there moderating and populating it. We've tried to contact them several times, they either dont want to be contacted or just flat out ignored us... or both. So, as far as were concerned, they're currently a necessary 'evil' and I use that lightly. Turn of phrase of mostly. They're down time only goes to strengthen a resolve for our own dedicated database.

Its been down intermittently since yesterday, today has been down all day today. I think its a good idea to have a local db, though I'm aware how much work goes into it (plus the development of launchbox). I think it could be another feature for premium launchbox. Cool

n4tive said Its been down intermittently since yesterday, today has been down all day today. I think its a good idea to have a local db, though I'm aware how much work goes into it (plus the development of launchbox). I think it could be another feature for premium launchbox. Cool
We already have this feature. It's been there for months.

SentaiBrad said
n4tive said Its been down intermittently since yesterday, today has been down all day today. I think its a good idea to have a local db, though I'm aware how much work goes into it (plus the development of launchbox). I think it could be another feature for premium launchbox. Cool
We already have this feature. It's been there for months.
Yes I am aware, I meant the ability to download art, and images as well.

Hey guys, yeah, TGDB being down really sucks, it's pretty discouraging. I wouldn't call them a "necessary evil" though lol, I really appreciate them for everything they've done. LaunchBox could not be what it is today without them. That said, I am looking to ultimately replace it with our own system, if anyone isn't already aware. Thankfully, TGDB's license allows us to re-use the data. So I am planning to build a new system that won't suffer from this down time, and also allows users to contribute (upload) from within LaunchBox itself. This is currently what I am most excited about regarding the future of LaunchBox. In the mean time, though, I really hope TGDB comes back up soon.

Jason Carr said Hey guys, yeah, TGDB being down really sucks, it's pretty discouraging. I wouldn't call them a "necessary evil" though lol, I really appreciate them for everything they've done. LaunchBox could not be what it is today without them. That said, I am looking to ultimately replace it with our own system, if anyone isn't already aware. Thankfully, TGDB's license allows us to re-use the data. So I am planning to build a new system that won't suffer from this down time, and also allows users to contribute (upload) from within LaunchBox itself. This is currently what I am most excited about regarding the future of LaunchBox. In the mean time, though, I really hope TGDB comes back up soon.
I used necessary evil as a term, not that they are literally evil. Wikipedia is the same thing until we can get our own infastructure up.

SentaiBrad said As far as redudancy goes, we do. LocalDB is a GDB backup that Jason started to perform several months ago. He updates it a lot, but... the more time goes on the more and more creating our own database becomes prutinent. [snip] They're down time only goes to strengthen a resolve for our own dedicated database.
As I update TheGamesDB with new games, should I update the LocalDB as well, to make things easier?

Jason Carr said Hi hippy, the LocalDB is updated periodically from TheGamesDB.net for new releases. There's no real way for you to update it yourself.
I meant to respond to this, but the site was down. xD Hippy, even though you can't affect the LocalDB directly still make updates to TheGamesDB since Jason can update the LocalDB with any data on the site, so new data can get added in and in the long run will help signifigantly if we get our own Database running.