LaunchBox Community Forums

How can we contribute to the Launchbox Games Database? Beta & Moderator Signups!

donarumo

SentaiBrad said As of now Clive, no there isn't, that is a great idea though.
Hi Brad. It also would be nice to add some things to the moderation interface. For example: I am moderating X game. I find out that one of the submitted fields is incorrect by doing previous research. Since I already have the "correct answer" it would be nice for moderators to submit the change directly in the moderation page. Of course that change should be subject of further moderation by the same process.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just doing some moderating and boy it the game Arctic: Active Rail Playing Game popular on there. I know we are to verify info before accepting but I've seen a few name changes where the box is being displayed and you can plainly see the title so I've been accepting them off of the strength of the box alone I hope that is acceptable. Also I would like to discuss if we the moderators would like to agree on a standard for certain things like games with secondary titles should have colons ie The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker or in another case what are your feeling on say Disney games or Pixar where some games have Disney's or Pixar in the title and on the box while some have it on the box but the meta doesn't have the Disney part in the title. I personally like the title to be what is written on the box but would be willing to bend for group consensus.

I know Jason mentioned about needing written rules and guidelines for data, and it didn't look like anyone offered to tackle it yet and if that is the case, I am willing to tackle it because that same game shows up for me, and I been questioning the title with it to myself as I reference it. Same with the Batman example, it's a colon added, but some sources that should be credible had it, some did not. I am willing to tackle drawing up some guidelines with some input and we can draft some ideas on something consistent for all of us to use.

DOS76 said I was just doing some moderating and boy it the game Arctic: Active Rail Playing Game popular on there. I know we are to verify info before accepting but I've seen a few name changes where the box is being displayed and you can plainly see the title so I've been accepting them off of the strength of the box alone I hope that is acceptable. Also I would like to discuss if we the moderators would like to agree on a standard for certain things like games with secondary titles should have colons ie The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker or in another case what are your feeling on say Disney games or Pixar where some games have Disney's or Pixar in the title and on the box while some have it on the box but the meta doesn't have the Disney part in the title. I personally like the title to be what is written on the box but would be willing to bend for group consensus.
Hehehehehe I was moderating that game too

My Take? If it's on the box, an approved Wikipedia article or an official listing on a developer website, that is how we write it. On the box is generally how it is intended to be said unless an approved Wikipedia article or developer says other wise. If we called every Legend of Zelda ... Legend of Zelda. it'd get bad pretty fast. Let's try and follow the box art to the best of our abilities. For example, I rejected that games name shortening, but accepted the other values it asked for.

I want to propose a change in the rejection process. Something like this: Review submitted change->Doing research to see if the metadata is correct->If its not, then reject the change and submit the correct info (without having to open a new tab and search for the game to change it) This could save some time to the moderators and make it more fluid. ENTIRELY OPTIONAL: Having a button to make a new discussion thread to explain the changes. Why is this necessary? Well, while doing research I have found many contradictory info about X game metadata. Like, a website says it was released X year, and other says another date. I don't think this is feasible since threads can take precious server resources. But it would be nice to have a way to interact and discuss between the original submitter and the moderation team. And as a bonus, having a profile page at the database could help making people more involved and committed with the DB. Lets be honest here, who doesn't like to have stats?(like, how many games you have submitted and such, and showing your collection in your profile). And don't get me wrong, I know the site is in beta. I just want to put my suggestions here since I don't know if DB suggestions should be put at the bitbucket.

If someone does make guidelines, PM them to me and I'll review them with Jason as soon as he can. We can then put them in their own thread for everyone to discuss them. Once the moderators for the Database can agree on the rules I'll sticky it and we can move forward with that being our rule set. Then if we need to discuss any particular matter (game, database, rule) we can do that in there.

We appreciate it @CliveBarker, don't feel like you need to apologize for anything. We WANT everyone's feedback, I just wanted people earlier to read what was already stated, that's all. I still want to hear what anyone has to say. What do you think about
Having a button to make a new discussion thread to explain the changes.
Being in the thread that I propose? We can talk together as a group if a situation arises.

DonkeyKongsVet said How far in depth do we need to go with guidelines? Do we want to list out titles and formats? etc? I can put the hammer down, smash some barrels, and certainly add in anything already discussed
It doesn't need to detail every aspect, hopefully some stuff is common sense. Jason and I are wanting to trust our Moderator's, that said we do need things detailed a bit. The internet doesn't necessarily have standards, but we need them for Quality's sake. First and foremost, Quality is king. When researching something if two sites have conflicting metadata, try and find a 3rd and see what the 3rd one will match. Good and acceptable websites to double check metadata are MobyGames, GiantBomb, Wikipedia and GameFAQ's. When possible get the best looking image available. Preferably no Watermarks, but if one can't be found in the interim then Watermarks is fine until or unless we can find a replacement. (image submission and moderating isn't available yet) We talked about names, try to replicate what the Box dictates to the best of your keyboards ability. Characters like :, - and & are acceptable. Characters like _, + etc are not acceptable UNLESS on the Boxart or the Developer has spelt the game with them. Box names are what we go by for ease of use, but Developer spelling takes precedent as long as they haven't changed it. I'll probably have more, along with the other user. Any new feature requests for the Database can you guys make BitBucket tickets for us? They'll easier to keep track of then the forum post we've already got going. Make sure you put "LaunchBox Games Database:" In the title and mark them Major for us.

SentaiBrad said
DonkeyKongsVet said How far in depth do we need to go with guidelines? Do we want to list out titles and formats? etc? I can put the hammer down, smash some barrels, and certainly add in anything already discussed
It doesn't need to detail every aspect, hopefully some stuff is common sense. Jason and I are wanting to trust our Moderator's, that said we do need things detailed a bit. The internet doesn't necessarily have standards, but we need them for Quality's sake. First and foremost, Quality is king. When researching something if two sites have conflicting metadata, try and find a 3rd and see what the 3rd one will match. Good and acceptable websites to double check metadata are MobyGames, GiantBomb, Wikipedia and GameFAQ's. When possible get the best looking image available. Preferably no Watermarks, but if one can't be found in the interim then Watermarks is fine until or unless we can find a replacement. (image submission and moderating isn't available yet) We talked about names, try to replicate what the Box dictates to the best of your keyboards ability. Characters like :, - and & are acceptable. Characters like _, + etc are not acceptable UNLESS on the Boxart or the Developer has spelt the game with them. Box names are what we go by for ease of use, but Developer spelling takes precedent as long as they haven't changed it. I'll probably have more, along with the other user. Any new feature requests for the Database can you guys make BitBucket tickets for us? They'll easier to keep track of then the forum post we've already got going. Make sure you put "LaunchBox Games Database:" In the title and mark them Major for us.
Got it, makes sense. I will make a draft to send over, probably not going to have anything until tomorrow. I had some ideas, and what you just said was pretty much my thought process.