LaunchBox Community Forums

How can we contribute to the Launchbox Games Database? Beta & Moderator Signups!

donarumo

CADScott said I would love to see the option to select different images as the displayed image in LaunchBox / BigBox, and without having to move the wrong images into the front folder. My hope is that eventually we have the per platform option to select from a list of all available images to display as the front image. Ideally this would be a drop down with all types of images, and with separate settings for LaunchBox and BigBox. This would allow us to have flyers showing for mame in LaunchBox, but have screenshots or titles for BigBox. But the setting needs to be per platform, because I would hate to have this setting common across all platforms.
I made a similar suggestion for selecting which images should be used as art, such as boxes, ingame, title, etc. In my case, it had more to do for browsing unplayed games or just not remembering the name of the game, but I can see how it applies here specially for arcade games which are non-standardized, as consoles boxes.
"..... I think there should be an option to use either boxes or in-game snapshots as part of the default view in LB and BB. So far its easier to find complete or close to complete sets of in-game images for most platforms, than for box arts, specially imports."
".....when browsing for new games that you never played before, boxes give an great neat look at the collection, but in-game snaps are more useful to get a better idea about actual game. I know that you can click on each game and look at the details panel for game snaps, but that is the problem, you have to click each game to see what it actually looks like. For example, when inviting friends to play, most don't remember the names of the games they want to play, and they end-up clicking on each cover to see if that's what they are looking for or if is something they would like to play"
Post link https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/features/launchbox-beta-testing/page-66 So cheers Jason, for considering this for the To-Do list, and the arcade posters sounds great.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just moderated a few things but one suggestion add a control so we can maybe skip something and see the next item without rejecting or accepting. I came across a DOS game that they wanted to add a genre for as it didn't have one before but I have no experience with the game at all. I did accept it but afterwards thought since I didn't know about the game and that I should have been able to pass on choosing to do anything but been able to move on to the next item.

Can we (and if so, how) flag an entry for deletion if it never existed on the platform at all; i.e. Iron Soldier 2, which is listed as an Atari 7800 game, but only came out for Jaguar? Also, what level of "game" are we allowing in the database? ROM hacks, homebrew, etc.? I'm all for them, I just worry about the can of worms they could open up.

FistyDollars said Can we (and if so, how) flag an entry for deletion if it never existed on the platform at all; i.e. Iron Soldier 2, which is listed as an Atari 7800 game, but only came out for Jaguar? Also, what level of "game" are we allowing in the database? ROM hacks, homebrew, etc.? I'm all for them, I just worry about the can of worms they could open up.
Jason posted what is available and what will be soon. Deletion is currently not available, nor is add. As for Rom Hacks and homebrew's we're debating on adding new custom platforms for each system instead of cluttering the current systems. The default systems should be kept for released games. I do love Rom Hacks and homebrews myself so.

FistyDollars said
SentaiBrad said Jason posted what is available and what will be soon. Deletion is currently not available, nor is add.
That's what I get for not paying attention Embarassed
It's ok, I didn't know if you had read it or not. That is for everyone's benefit though, I am not trying to single you out.

To me what makes sense is that ROM hacks should be part of the official games. That way we could add a "Hacks" section for each game that lists the available hacks. Far from priority, but that makes sense to me ultimately. Homebrew, etc. games we might as well add to the list, I'd say. We could add a field to specify whether it's an official release.

Jason, I have been playing around with adding information to the database, and noticed that there does not seem to be a way to add a new item for Publisher, Developer and Genre. I can use an existing one that is already in the database, but I am trying to add the publisher Nu Wave for the MSX game Deus Ex Machina, and Simulator for the Genre and I cannot. Also, on a slightly similar note, the handling of the MSX platform seems a bit off at the moment. There were actually 4 generations of MSX released, the MSX, MSX2, MSX2+, and the MSX Turbo R, and there were actually games with the same name released for different generations. For example, the game 1942 was released twice for both MSX and MSX2, and games designed for the later generations would not run on the earlier ones. There are separate ROM files for the generations available also so it would make sense to somehow have this captured. Is it possible to have a sub category of the generation of the system that the ROM will run on. I know this will add a great deal of complexity to the scraping system though, so I am unsure of the best way to ensure that this is picked up when adding ROMs to LaunchBox. They could be added as completely separate systems, so the MSX system would expand to four platforms, but I hope there is an easier and cleaner way to do this.

CADScott said Jason, I have been playing around with adding information to the database, and noticed that there does not seem to be a way to add a new item for Publisher, Developer and Genre. I can use an existing one that is already in the database, but I am trying to add the publisher Nu Wave for the MSX game Deus Ex Machina, and Simulator for the Genre and I cannot.
I just posted that everyone should read Jason's first update. There are some items that can not be edited right now, nor can things be added or removed. This will be added in the future, it is just early editing right now. As for the MSX, everything we have was pulled from GamesDB, so we'll need to edit stuff like this. This is why we wanted to seperate, we know our fans know whats going on.

Jason Carr said Alright, I've opened up moderation for the following people: @donarumo, @SentaiBrad, @CADScott, @FistyDollars, @DOS76, @CliveBarker, @Freestate, @DonkeyKongsVet, @DudeManL57, @Hexxxer @CriticalCid, @XxvondutchxX, @wkLeon, I tried to open it up for you guys but I couldn't find your accounts. Go ahead and register and give me your gamer tags and I'll get you access. To moderate, sign in and then click the "My Account" link at the top of the site. Then you should see a "Moderation" link if you have access.
Hi Jason, I am doing my first moderation and I have a question: Is there a way to put a note as to why X element is being rejected?