LaunchBox Community Forums

Feature Requests

monyarm

So, a Linux port of LaunchBox will more than likely never happen sadly; though that would be bad ass. We've had conversations about that too but Jason is one man, who doesn't have the time really to port it. Maybe one day...? Maybe if we were at a nearly feature complete LaunchBox... but would that ever happen? More than likely it would take someone else to port over the code for it to run on Linux. I haven't tried WINE and LB yet either. Scraping Origin icons can happen if they have an API, which I am fairly certain they don't have. This is EA after-all. PSP and PS3 Icons... PS3 would be pointless as there is no emulators for it. However, PSP Icons can be read from the disc image so all that would take is to find say PPSSPP's code (if its freely available) and use that. Jason would just need to make sure .iso, .cso and .dax files are supported. The only downside is that the images found within the iso's are really low quality. They only needed to be used for a PSP screen.

We might actually see a Linux port at some point, largely because the .NET Framework is making huge strides on Linux right now. However, I don't see it happening very soon. DOSBox and ScummVM I do have on my list to allow customizing/moving. I honestly don't see scraping PSP or PS3 icons happening, mostly just because it's not likely to be a very common request.

@SentaiBrad http://www.emunewz.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=195 , there is actually a ps3 emulator , its in its infancy and can currently only run 3 games at acceptable frame rate (if you have a beast of a machine) , and users of the emulator are constantly testing different games , and giving the developers the log files so that they know how to make it work And thers also a 3ds emulator that can only play around 4 games decently (if you have a beast of a machine) , and like with the ps3 one , people are constantly trying to help make the emulator better http://citra-emu.org/

Right, so these emulators don't really exist. They do in theory. For example, most of the older emulators weren't considered anything worth their salt until most commercial games could be played at a good speed. They were also feature heavy. Three games doesn't mean you have an emulator per se, it just means you have a working proof of concept. I will be interested to see where this goes in the future though. Also, having a powerful machine is going to start to be extremely common. Though, I am way way way more shocked that a 360 emulator hasn't popped up with more than this PS3 emulator. It's Cell Architecture is a bitch and people in the industry hated it. Also, I do know of a ton of emulators including ones for systems you can't run, but there is no point in trying to tell people that. This emulator will not be ready for another 5 years-ish, If the user has a powerful enough system.

Another quick example on the slowness, look at how long the OG Xbox emulator has taken, and that was several behind now. They got the PS2 and Gamecube which were both apparently hard to get right. Xbox runs off a modified x86 architecture. It's all a matter how who wants to do it, what the hardware was like and how hard it is to reverse engineer.

SentaiBrad said Xbox runs off a modified x86 architecture. It's all a matter how who wants to do it, what the hardware was like and how hard it is to reverse engineer.
Just because it runs off the same architecture (or similiar) as modern computers doesnt mean it'll be easy to emulator , since the x86 architecture has many instruction sets and many versions of each of those instruction sets , and they are large instructions sets , and unlike many older consoles , the ones from the last few generations have their own operating systems , meaning their bios and anything else their operating system has (like how sony consoles have those prx files) need to be reverse engineered and while it might be possible to make something similiar to wine in order to run them (the reason WINE is so advanced is because of how long windows has existed , and the amount of documentation on it (even if they have many undocumented api's)) it would as much if not more difficult than creating an emulator

Actually its easier than you think. Someone was messing around with just extracting a Xbox game, and running it through a layer of compatibility similar to WINE to run the discs exe because it has them. At least that's what a Blog was talking about several years ago. It's not easy, none of it is easy. However, on the spectrum of emulators it will be easier than the PS3, but still hard. The PS3 use a custom built Cell Architecture. It's why it was so expensive, why developers hated the console for 5 years, and why games that got ported to it looked worse than the less powerful machine they came from. RE5 is a good example, it looks way better on 360. So no, it will certainly be hard. But Xbox used DirectX calls and x86 calls as it is. They may still end up just emulating all of that system, but some of it may be able to be more natively ran on a modern system. Hell, you can install a version of Windows CE or Windows XP on the OG Xbox (I forget which).

the real issue with the xbox is the video card it used , it had a custom nvidia card , that was between generations , it had all of the features of the generation of cards that existed then , and 2/3 features from the next generation , but not all of the features from the next generation also while xbox games run on x86 , they dont use exe files , ive looked in them and they dont have exe's they have xbe files , plus it's directX version from what i remember was also a mix of versions like with the nvidia card

I remember there being an emulator where it was extract and run, maybe they found a way to run those files, but they made it sound simple. I think the emulation of the Wii messed with some people. Most people never thought of it as a console on par with 360 and PS3 because it wasn't technically, but it still was. So they see Wii, go where is 360 and PS3. Edit: What I mean when I say this is that its a double edged sword. It's not technically on par so its a bit easier, but because it is in the generation of 360 / PS3, most users would expect an emulator from one of those consoles to also be available. It's just not the case Technically speaking its more on par with the Xbox and PS2, and it uses the same PowerPC tech with the next logical step of hardware from the Gamecube. Hence, it was emulated very quickly because Gamecube emulation was coming along. This is also why Dolphin does both and why Wii had Gamecube backwards compatibility until they took out the hardware hookups. 360 is a big step up, PS3 technically a bigger step. The partial beauty of the Microsoft consoles is the Direct X layer. If they get the GPU emulation correct it should be easier. It's going to start to get very interesting. Top PC's out perform Consoles, there is certainly no doubt about that. They just also cost 2-4x as much. To emulate a PS3 at a PLAYABLE framerate, it will require a top end PC. The other sad part that I think drags it down is the fact that games can be patched. PSP and Wii's you can insert that DLC data or patch information. It was just a lot smaller. What are we going to do if we want to play a game that is broken before a big patch and that patch is 5GB, 10GB etc. It's going to logistically get harder and harder. So besides the PC requirements shooting up it will be interesting to see how these questions are answered.

• 3 years later...