LaunchBox Community Forums

My cat spilled ice tea in my laptop what are the chances it will ever work again?

DOS76

I was sitting at my Kitchen table watching Sherlock on my HTPC and browsing on one of laptops when my cat jumped up to beg for food and knocked my ice tea over onto my laptop. I immediately grabbed it and turned it over then about 10 seconds later it shutdown. I have had it lying face down since and I removed the back cover and didn't see any liquid on the bottom of the case or on any of the components accessible from the bottom. I don't believe that much liquid got in but I have it drying out now. Any one have a similar experience with getting their laptop wet and then having it working again afterwards.
Spoiler
George-The-Culprit.jpg

DAMMIT GEORGE!!!! Oh man, what a guilty bastard. Just look at him. ;) Thankfully, yes, I have had that experience and have had success with it working with no issues afterwards (with water). If you're able to flip it upside down quickly and yank the power fast enough, there's less risk for anything to fry. You might have to worry about it being sticky from the tea, though; not sure. If you haven't already, you might want to take the battery out while it dries. Probably the most important thing though is to make 100% sure that it's dry all the way through before plugging it back in and turning it on. You can dry it out quicker by putting it in with rice or those moisture-absorbing silica gel packs.

Yea I was gonna suggest rice. I knew of someone who saved their phone doing this and my mother in law saved her badass Darth Vader watch after it got shorted by water, she put it in rice for like a week and it came out great (she over did it). Try to take the batter and put that in a bad of rice. If you have enough your laptop wont get hurt by going in just make sure the case isn't open or anything. The battery should be in like a day or two and the laptop might need 2 or 3 depending on size; if you even have that much rice. xD

I'd suggest putting it on its side/edge for a while, too. When it's completely upside-down, liquid will often pool on the under-side of the individual keyboard keys due to the shape of their under-sides. I confess I don't know if this is true for a Laptop Confused, but for a regular Desktop PC keyboard, I believe it to be valid.

I think my laptop is toast it won't power on I've wait quite a few days. I'd really hate to throw it away I can get another board (which has everything integrated chip and RAM for $65 on eBay my only problem with that is if the Mobo isn't the issue but I'm thinking it would have to be if it was the i/o daughter board I'm not sure that would keep it from powering on unless it is the battery but since there is no power when I plug it in I doubt the battery is the issue either. I just don't want to be spending a ton of money to fix it. If I can spend $65 bucks though then it is worth it to me to fix it if not I have a 500Gb SSD and another wireless card to add to my parts bin. What do you guys think is it worth fixing? The board comes with a 2 month warranty also.

Yeah already pulled the trigger had to make sure it was the right board though seems they have a Celeron and Pentium version also I tried to see if they had any better than the i3 I already had but don't see anything higher. I'm hoping it works also I found one that was $10 more but was new instead of used (or at least that what they are saying).

Ok here is the deallyo new board is a success 100% only issue is that when the liquid shorted out either the board or the battery it must have fried both because I don't have any battery and the computer reports that no battery found so now its time to spend more money (on getting my cat euthanized just kidding he's my boy and worth more than any computer plus its hard to be mad at that face) so looks like I need a battery now. New Battery $28 on Amazon so up and running for around a hundo.

Ok having a bad experience with Microsoft today new board means new hardware and new hardware means no activation spent hours with a tech support guy running some crazy commands that all failed in the end I had to reinstall total pain in the ass. So basically if you have an OEM version of Windows or Insider install you have to do a clean install or your beat on activation.