LaunchBox Community Forums

Replaced Kega Fusion with RetroArch today

DOS76

Ok in the latest build 14271 of Windows Insider Preview (and the last few before it also) Kega Fusion is forced into Graphic compatibility mode when you start it so is stuck in 800x600 resolution. On a few of my TV's this isn't that bad of a problem but on one of my Sony's 800x600 is a tiny box with black borders all around it so due to the fact that Kega will probably never be updated ever again I decided to update my Sega stuff to RA. I'm using the Gens GX core and Picodrive. Today wasn't the first time I've ever got RA running but it was the 1st time that I ever tried to play an actual game using it. I tried Fantasy Zone using the Japanese version, since I have like 10 games in a Sega Mark III platform with the Japanese boxes I decided to experiment with those before changing my whole Master System library. I went into the settings in RA turned up the volume because for some reason it started enabled but turned all the way down then changed the video settings to display in 16:9. I started my controller and then the game, everything seemed to be going great ,but then when I got to the 3rd level boss n the midst of battle everything on the screen shook like there was an earthquake. After that I was hurtling through the before game demo at hyperspeed over and over. This was with the Gens GX core it kind of has me put off on using it and I may have to mess more with the Gens+ but I tried that for 32X games the other night and was disappointed in how it performed. Basically Kega no longer being under development is a huge hit to Sega emulation IMO. I plan to give RA a few more tries but I am disappointed with my 1st real experience using it.

I used to use Kega... in fact, I remember when it was released and it was a really big deal because it was so good (probably tells you I am older... lol). I can also say that RetroArch was the ultimate nightmare of emulation for me, as far as setting everything up goes. I have to admit, though, once I got it up and running, it is really sweet. I have a love-hate relationship with it. Mostly love once I got everything set up, but I remember that rough patch we went through... haha. I'm using the Genesis Plus GX core (Except for 32x I use Pico) and it is really nice. The graphics are really smooth on games like Sonic that move quickly as compared to Kega where sometimes the background would seem a bit blurred or hard to follow. The shaders look really great and overall I just like it better. Kega was definitely a legend in its time though.

Your volume was probably set low from before, maybe from the last time you were playing around with RA, that's my guess anyways but that's minor. As for your game freaking out that is a weird one and not one I have ever encountered. The only things that come to mind immediately is check your RA video settings and see if Threaded Video is set to on or off, it should be set to off. With it on I have seen some weirdness from time to time. As for 32X performance I assume you mean it's running slow ? It runs slow on my laptop but my main gaming rig it runs just fine but because it's 32X with near 0 games worth playing I don't even play it. I can do some testing with Fusion 3.64 and see I can figure out some settings. What exactly is the problem with fusion and what are you looking to achieve ?

Did you accidentally disable the frame limiter? I've played a lot of games on these two cores and they've both worked great. Try Pico Drive with your Sega Mark 3 and see if that changes anything. The Master System was based on this model for world wide release so it shouldn't be any different what so ever, which is odd. Genesis Plus GX is actually a very wide spread emulator for non-PC System's and is only available on PC through RA. From Emulation General: "Compatibility It is claimed that Genesis Plus GX can reach 100% compatibility with all commercial games released on the platforms it supports, all while being made primarily to run on Wii/Gamecube. It is recommended to use this version instead of the original Genesis Plus where possible. " Take it with a grain of salt I suppose.

I assume that most of the users on here are somewhat older and grew up with a lot of the systems that they emulate so I doubt you are much older than the average LB user. The 76 in my user name refers to when I was born so I got OG status myself.

Yeah I've never had a Sega game glitch out on me like that I'll check the frame limiter thing out as I said everything was going great up to that point I liked that I didn't even need to config my controller too that was pretty nice. Is there a way to get back to RA from in the game I haven't looked around yet but it seemed that the only buttons that worked were a, b and start which is accurate for SMS but I've heard mention of overlays and menus to save and some such.

The default button on the controller is the Xbox "guide" button if you are using an xbox or Logitech controller. If that doesn't work the F1 key on the keyboard will bring it up then you navigate to Settings > Input > Input Hotkey Binds and at the bottom to can assign a key for it.

DOS76 said The 76 in my user name refers to when I was born
Same here! :)
SentaiBrad said F1 opens the Retro Arch menu
It took me forever to figure this out. You can actually see a list of the default hotkeys if you go into Settings>Input>Input Hotkey Binds. That's a helpful place to look. *edit* Also, games going really fast can be related to monitor refresh rate and vsync too. I had my refresh rate set to 144 (my monitor's cap) at one point in RA and half the cores were playing in hyperspeed so I had to set it back to 60. *edit* Just noticed lordmonkus already mentioned the Hotkey settings... sorry about that.

Vsync should be turned off unless you got extremely bad screen tearing, the game should run at its natural speed. Other than causing games to run at the wrong speed it can also induce some input lag which no one wants. I made a thread a couple of weeks back where I posted about the settings I use in RA and these are settings that aren't necessarily basic in getting stuff up and running but I feel are extremely important to getting things running better and are also good settings to use across the board regardless of core you are using. https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/emulation/my-retroarch-settings