LaunchBox Community Forums

BitBucket feature request ticket

DOS76

I just started a BitBucket feature request that if implemented would allow you to custom name a platform but still give you the option to choose what section of the database to use for scraping. This would be great for adding both Arcade platforms that you want to have specifically named and certain console systems that don't have separate regional naming like PC Engine, PC Engine CD TurboGrafx CD, Famicom and SuperFamicom. If any one else thinks this is a good idea please vote it up on BitBucket.

i replied to that ticket with a solution for MAME. I do know this doesn't fix the issue for the other consoles, but if this fixes it for MAME (which is supposed to be the point of the box I believe) then I would like to edit the name to expand it for all consoles instead of close the ticket. For everyone's reference: https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/583/add-choice-to-scrape-a-platform-when-using

DOS76 said Actually if you use MAME as the emulator then the option for that box isn't even present so there must be and if statement built in that uses a different form if MAME is chosen as the emulator.
Yes, there are instances where it will automatically detect it but if you import a platform as say Neo Geo or CPS3, then checking that box will use the MAME import rules for a different platform name.

Drybonz said I had mentioned this request in some other thread... there are a couple platforms I like to rename but it causes problems.
Well you can easily rename a platform after you've done the scraping and there is an alternate name list for some consoles that will automatically detect as best as it can. So if you are importing Super Nintendo (SNES) it as just SNES, it should technically know that it is searching as Super Nintendo (SNES) on the back end. Only problem is that letting the user manually choose doesn't change the odd scraping rules in this instance so we'll have to build, ideally, a list of alternative names on the back end and not the front end. Also you did mention this previously, but you also didn't make a ticket. With the ticket in place it is easy to keep track of.

Yes, there are instances where it will automatically detect it but if you import a platform as say Neo Geo or CPS3, then checking that box will use the MAME import rules for a different platform name.
IF you named it Neo Geo and used MAME as the emulator than the checkbox for use MAME metadata wouldn't appear also I don't think it would find any results but I will test it myself as soon as my latest platform is done importing.

Thanks all, I agree that this needs improved. Specific cases of naming conflicts would be helpful I think. In general, the metadata just needs to be updated to better support various platform names and the various platform features. I see this all tying into the new LaunchBox Games Database. For example, it would make sense to add an Alternate Names category to each platform that can be community-moderated.

Option to use specific platform for scraping based off of any custom name not just ones from a list would be better for what I'm attempting. Say you were to set something up like when you add the platform name have a check box that says use a custom name and when this is checked the next form asks the user which platform it would like the database to scrape from so say you choose A as your platform name then check the check box the next form would be a form asking which section of the LBDB do you want to scrape from with a dropdown just like the one used for platforms and then you enter arcade then the next form would be the emulator choice and so on through the regular import process as an alternative it wouldn't have to be a separate form it could be added to the platform form and the extra dialog could only be seen when the checkbox is checked. This would allow the users to be able to name platforms anything but still get results from the DB which would greatly increase the flexibility of the program.

If I rename the Super Nintendo platform to Nintendo (SNES) so that it will fall in alphabetically with the other Nintendo platforms it can't pull info from EmuMovies (example as requested by Jason, above). When I change the name it should still search for metadata, images, etc... as the default name for the platform.