LaunchBox Community Forums

My RetroArch HotKey Binds

DOS76

I've been playing with the hot key binds in RetroArch and I have to say the feature is just so over the top amazing. It would be a great addition to console gaming if they added the ability to their controllers. So far here is the setup that I've come up with for XBox 360 controllers and Ipega Bluetooth controllers Hot Key toggle=L3 Quit RA=L3+Start Pause=L3+R1 Reset=L3+R2 Load Save State=L3+L2 Save State=L3+L1 Mute=L3+X Toggle Fullscreen=L3+Y Screenshot=L3+B Onscreen Keyboard=L3+A (doesn't do anything though not sure how to use it) Next Shader=L3+RDPad Prev Shader=L3+LDPad Slow Motion=L3+UDPad Eject Disk=L3+DDPad Next Save State=L3+RAnalog Up Previous Save State=L3+RAnalog Down Menu Toggle=L3+R3 Start Recording Movie=L3+Select Volume Up=L3+RAnalog Right Volume Down=L3+RAnalog Left (These last two are only setup on the 360 controllers as the Ipega have built in media keys for volume Play/Pause Fast Forward and Rewind) Having these keys setup just bumps everything up to the next level I truly recommend setting them up Thanks to @fromlostdays (I hope that I'm crediting the right user) for posting somewhere about enabling the hotkey binds that was truly some illuminating shit right there.

I just bought one of these yesterday: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-Elite-Wireless-Controller/dp/B00ZDNNRB8 I fully expected to regret this decision. I got home, fired up Mike Tysons Punch Out (My go to when I want to test Dpads) and I'm blown away. The circular D-pad peripheral is awesome. I went ahead and tested with Super Mario World and wound up just playing the game for like 2 hours (getting them RetroAchievements). I finally found a controller that does it all, at least for me. Plus, I swear it even seems to have reduced some input lag (my mind could be just trying to justify the purchase haha). I'll be having the RA Hotkeys binded to those 4 paddle buttons on the back real soon, though. Granted this is a shameful amount of money to spend on a controller that only does marginally better than other controllers which are like 1/2 to 1/4 the price. I also play a lot of Xbox though, a lot of FPS, and I use my Xbox controller for almost every game I play on PC (excluding like League of Legends and Starcraft 2). If you're like me in this respect, I recommend trying the Elite out.

DOS76 said Wow that thing looks insane very pricey though. Damn you I want one now.
I'm not a big Xbox Fan anymore now days, but that controller is supposed to be amazing. You've got paddles underneath, configurable triggers, swap-able sticks and a whole lot of other stuff.

Wow that thing looks insane very pricey though. Damn you I want one now.
I haven't tested out the paddles yet (the four buttons on the back), cause yeah I was having too much fun playing with that d-pad. But I CAN tell you it is slightly awkward to have those four buttons back there. Could just be the way I play, but they are really easy to accidentally depress. I wound up taking them out. (they just slide out). I'm thinking that I could bind "Enable Hotkey" to one paddle and leave the rest out. The good news is you CAN turn them off really easily. (You just double tap the "sync" button to turn them on and off)so you can leave the paddles in and not worry about accidentally pressing them. It remains to be seen whether or not I can adapt to them being back there. Either way, though, that buyers remorse abated quickly. Whenever I land on a "final" configuration I'll post it here. Thanks for the shoutout! I'm glad people are as excited about the Enable Hotkey feature as I am.

Have you used the Trigger Lock functions yet for anything? If I recall correctly, I know they now lock so you don't have to press the button down as far to shoot for games like Call of Duty, but I remember you can map a function to it if you split it. You can essentially have two functions on one trigger... or am I remembering that wrong?

Yeah, I got a G27 as well and it's probably the best bang for buck wheel out there at the time not sure what's out there now. Wish I had the money for a fancy Fanatec setup but those things are stupidly expensive. $150 for a game pad is bit much though but at least it does seem like you get a damn nice controller.

I'm going to get a seat from the junkyard out of something nice and then have my brother help me build something around that. I want the seat to be adjustable and everything I'm thinking 32 inch HDTV or my 24 inch LG monitor at 1st until I upgrade. I'm definitely not getting a high end monitor for it.

Alright so, update on this. I'm sorry to say that it seems like the technology doesn't exist to map the four paddle buttons to anything but another button on the controller. Not in windows, RetroArch, or Xpadder. So, if I map "Enable Hotkeys" to a paddle, its going to map it to another button on the controller as well. That's kind of a serious bummer. Here's the forum lamenting it. https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251650-console-hardware-accessories/suggestions/10452192-make-the-xbox-one-elite-controller-paddles-unique?page=7&per_page=20 In the spirit of not completely derailing this thread, my mappings will remain: L3 = Enable Hotkey So with L3 depressed: R3 = Open RetroArch Menus Start = Exit Emulator Select = Load State (again, if this isn't sort of awkward I found myself accidentally loading states while playing, which sucked) A = Save State X = Enable Cheat Y = Screenshot B = Record Video Right Bumper = Fast Forward Left & Right Triggers = Volume Dpad = Scroll through cheats Right stick= Scroll through Save States In the OP you don't seem to have mapped Fast Forward. Its a pretty awesome feature. You can fastforward through the menu, through the PS BIOS screen (if you don't turn it off in core), and also some long winded cut scenes, and grind type battles in RPGs. For PS games at least you can even fastforward to speed though loading screens and the in-game save loading bar.

RA should allow for a second hot key to be enabled and then you would make a bunch of the others work by holding R3 and then pushing the buttons. Besides the actual 4 main buttons everything else would be able to be accessed while holding the right thumb key and that would allow you to map 14 other commands they would just have to change how they handle the config as you would have to signify both the button and which hot key you wanted to use with the button.