LaunchBox Community Forums

Damn! Yabause had 10 build in the last 24 days.

DOS76

I've been on EmuCr for a little while today checking out somethings and I've noticed that Yabause has been getting a lot of builds this month I downloaded the latest and so far it only hasn't run Die Hard Trilogy which won't run in SSF either. I'm hoping this progress has something to do with the new instructions that were unlocked by Dr. Abrasive.

I had a look into the latest build and there is some stuff in the settings that requires a bios dump of a chip other than the system bios. Still no sound effects in Darius Gaiden however so this emulator still has work to be done. Nice to see it progressing though, some day we will have good Saturn emulation :)

SSF actually got an update not that long ago as well, weirdly enough - v0.12 beta r4. The settings have gotten even more bloated than they (already) were, but it seems to work pretty well with some tweaking. I haven't revisited Yabause in a while (probably about a year) because it was just so trash the last time I tried it. SSF is a convoluted, unwieldy monster but it's always provided the best results in my experience. If the newest incarnation of Yabause is actually on the same level as SSF in terms of compatibility/accuracy, I'm all for it; I would just be amazed if that were the case. My real hope for the future of Saturn emulation is in Mednafen, just because it has such a proven track record. I have the feeling it's still a ways off though Cry

DOS76 said SSF has test builds on EmuCR I just can't get Daemon tools to work on the latest preview build of Windows
o_O Dear god... I'd freak out if I didn't have access to DT. I probably use it more than my physical disc drives. Like I said, I'm all for moving away from SSF if there's actually a viable alternative. How many games did you test? Any notable issues (other than Die Hard Trilogy and Darius Gaiden)?

No it was running games SSF can't handle but then the RA core still won't play those so they are ahead of the core it seems I had it running Corpse Killer and Double Switch both of which run like dog shit in SSF. It plays Croc which for SSF you need like a beta 10 or 11 version in order to not get the black screen with sound. It handles AMOK which SSF won't (This one works in RA) play. I was trying to remember games I had issues to see if they worked. Hopefully the stand alone will make more moves and then the core will get updated to reflect that and we could end up with a nice emulator or we can hope Mednafen works its magic.

DOS76 said Corpse Killer and Double Switch both of which run like dog shit in SSF.
That's weird, I don't recall having any issues with these in SSF. I'll double check tonight.
DOS76 said It plays Croc which for SSF you need like a beta 10 or 11 version in order to not get the black screen with sound.
Is there any particular reason not to just play the PSX version?
DOS76 said It handles AMOK which SSF won't (This one works in RA) play.
It's funny, I actually just picked up a big box PC copy of this a couple days ago. I haven't tried the Saturn version.

That's weird, I don't recall having any issues with these in SSF. I'll double check tonight.
They always run super slow and choppy for me unplayable on all of my machines and I have a few that can handle just about anything you throw at them.
No I just like to have everything working everywhere when I can. I most likely will never end up playing either version.

DOS76 said
They always run super slow and choppy for me unplayable on all of my machines and I have a few that can handle just about anything you throw at them.
You know what... I just realized that I think I have these for Sega CD not Saturn. That's probably why. I'll double check but I'm almost positive that's what it is.
DOS76 said
No I just like to have everything working everywhere when I can. I most likely will never end up playing either version.
Haha, fair enough! Croc actually isn't too bad. It's no Super Mario 64, of course, but it's decent. Jumping Flash 2 would probably be my pick for best PSX platformer that's 3D. It'd probably be a toss up between that and the Spyro series. There's a lot of other goodies too though - Gex: Enter the Gecko, the Crash Bandicoot series, Tail Concerto... actually come to think of it I'd put all of these above Croc haha. You could do worse though. I'm looking at you Bubsy 3D.