LaunchBox Community Forums

Regarding the current vote under way...

kamyk2000

I just want to put it out there that I don't want to see TheGamesDB replaced in Launchbox. Rather I'd like to see it supplemented with a user database. Like right now you can choose LocalDB, GamesDB, or Wikipedia. I'd like to see a user database added to that list but not replacing it. I'd also like a system where you can choose info from any or all sources selectively, and have any info you add either manually or from any given source appended or replaced at choice. A preview of some sort for various metadata would also be helpful. Let me explain. Currently there are thousands and thousands of entries on TheGamesDB. While the notion of adding my own information to a database is enormously appealing (so much so I joined TheGamesDB), I have no interest in adding thousands of entries for games I don't even own, nor is it a burden I think anyone else including Jason should shoulder. I do want to be able to add my own metadata and/or pictures without worrying about them being replaced by the data from any database, however. And being able to add data to a user database would be nice. In particular I dislike the extremely limited number of genres available on TheGamesDB. A Shmup is not a First person shooter is not a shoot-em-up is not a 3rd person platform shooter. Currently all of those fall under the vague genre category "shooter". However, I don't want to have to select an entry from any source without being able to see what information it contains beforehand. I joined TheGamesDB specifically for two reasons. One, so I could add games it was missing I needed information for, and two, so I could expand on shitty entries it has with almost no info. It is annoying having info I added manually replaced by nearly empty entries just so I can get a box art if I can't find one. I'd like to have all of that metadata available to me, rather than just one source. It occurs to me just now. Mp3s have Basic info/Id3v1/Id3v2/Artwork tags. Maybe something like that might work? Like Personal info/User database\TheGamesDB\Artwork? All I know is that while I find aspects of TheGamesDB or any other current data source limited (and annoying when choosing one replaces the info from another) and I'd like to add info where needed, I also don't want to rely on spotty additions numbering in the thousands requiring boatloads of work for anyone.

kamyk2000 said I just want to put it out there that I don't want to see TheGamesDB replaced in Launchbox. Rather I'd like to see it supplemented with a user database. Like right now you can choose LocalDB, GamesDB, or Wikipedia. I'd like to see a user database added to that list but not replacing it. I'd also like a system where you can choose info from any or all sources selectively, and have any info you add either manually or from any given source appended or replaced at choice. A preview of some sort for various metadata would also be helpful. Let me explain. Currently there are thousands and thousands of entries on TheGamesDB. While the notion of adding my own information to a database is enormously appealing (so much so I joined TheGamesDB), I have no interest in adding thousands of entries for games I don't even own, nor is it a burden I think anyone else including Jason should shoulder. I do want to be able to add my own metadata and/or pictures without worrying about them being replaced by the data from any database, however. And being able to add data to a user database would be nice. In particular I dislike the extremely limited number of genres available on TheGamesDB. A Shmup is not a First person shooter is not a shoot-em-up is not a 3rd person platform shooter. Currently all of those fall under the vague genre category "shooter". However, I don't want to have to select an entry from any source without being able to see what information it contains beforehand. I joined TheGamesDB specifically for two reasons. One, so I could add games it was missing I needed information for, and two, so I could expand on shitty entries it has with almost no info. It is annoying having info I added manually replaced by nearly empty entries just so I can get a box art if I can't find one. I'd like to have all of that metadata available to me, rather than just one source. It occurs to me just now. Mp3s have Basic info/Id3v1/Id3v2/Artwork tags. Maybe something like that might work? Like Personal info/User database\TheGamesDB\Artwork? All I know is that while I find aspects of TheGamesDB or any other current data source limited (and annoying when choosing one replaces the info from another) and I'd like to add info where needed, I also don't want to rely on spotty additions numbering in the thousands requiring boatloads of work for anyone.
So let me dispel something about this. We do want to eventually replace Wikipedia and TheGamesDB, at least that's what Jason and I talked about being possible. But, we have all of TheGamesDB data. We can update the data we have anytime we want. So we wouldn't be starting from scratch, we would essentially be using their data which they offer up for free. The cool thing about us going this route is that we want the user to be able to update a LaunchBox Database from inside the program. So instead of going to a website, if a user has their own custom info and images in LaunchBox, they can hit an upload button and it gets uploaded to the server for everyone. At least this is what Jason and I talked about wanting to happen. We're both very excited but also have some reservations about doing this. Moderation being one of them. We don't want to just throw together some half assed feature, we want it to be a clear upgrade so that the user doesn't feel like their getting shafted in the end. Especially for users who paid hard earned money. I think that if we do start rolling something like that out, we'll keep GDB and Wikipedia available for a time to ease transition. Another possibility is just to keep them there always, download data from one of the services and then have that be uploaded to our server from inside LB. Things could also change as licenses change, but as it stands right now we can do that with both the data from Wikipedia and TheGamesDB. Not so much for example, from MobyGames. Keep your concerns coming though, it lets us know what our user base wants in terms of features and ideas.

Yeah, in truth I see no reason to ever get rid of TGDB or Wikipedia, but if we go that route they may not be enabled by default. Regardless, there's not much reason to completely remove their support from the application. So I certainly wouldn't worry about losing any of that functionality. Per the moderation issues, I have some *really* cool ideas towards solving that problem, that have not been done before. I'm almost hoping that this one wins the vote, because the more I think about it, the cooler the idea gets. Allowing everyone to click a button and have their entire collection added to the public database could mean we have the most extensive database in the world. The system could then recommend entries based on which ones are most populated, and chosen the most often, while giving you complete control to choose whatever you want. This would be a challenge, but I believe we could well solve any moderation issues, as I have very extensive experience with these types of development issues. But the possibilities go well beyond sharing metadata and images. I'm envisioning a broader social platform where people can share their collections by posting web browsable versions of them online, community ratings, and much more. Still not sure if we'll head in that direction, but it is exciting for me currently. As always, any and all thoughts are welcome.

Jason Carr said But the possibilities go well beyond sharing metadata and images. I'm envisioning a broader social platform where people can share their collections by posting web browsable versions of them online, community ratings, and much more. Still not sure if we'll head in that direction, but it is exciting for me currently. As always, any and all thoughts are welcome.
You are talking like Mark Zuckerberg man...and that scares me. JOKE! I really like this, but will this be regulated? Like what happens if a user uploads tons of 4K screenshots/artworks to your server? Or malintentioned users uploading innapropiate content? I think this is going to be a big challenge man, but I will be happy to upload and share my metadata and collections with other people!

Ew. Zuckerberg. ;) It would definitely be regulated, but may be community regulated. If someone is abusing the system (which honestly I think will be fairly rare), then it would be easy to ban them quickly, and remove all of their content. Yeah, it is definitely a challenge, but I think the end result would be worth it. Can always put limits in place to prevent system overload. ;) I just know so many users put so much time and effort into their collections. Allowing them to easily share it all would be amazing, even if they had to prove their feasibility first.

My reservations are lessened :) No matter what wins though I'd really appreciate it if you could make the details font resizable separate from the rest, because no metadata will do me any good if I have to squint to read it :/ For that matter you might consider making that a standard feature so users with bad eyesight can still read it without a premium version. If implemented it would be kind of mercenary to charge vision impaired people for it. I mean not that I care, I already paid, just thinking of how it might potentially be viewed.

Jason Carr said Ew. Zuckerberg. ;) It would definitely be regulated, but may be community regulated. If someone is abusing the system (which honestly I think will be fairly rare), then it would be easy to ban them quickly, and remove all of their content. Yeah, it is definitely a challenge, but I think the end result would be worth it. Can always put limits in place to prevent system overload. ;) I just know so many users put so much time and effort into their collections. Allowing them to easily share it all would be amazing, even if they had to prove their feasibility first.
There are systems we can put on the server that block uploading certain types of images. File size and resolution are just many of the different types. Then, if we get abusive users who upload what ever they want there are several ways to do this. Make uploading to the server another Premium feature? With that we can ban someone based on the license they hold for LB. Or if we let everyone be able to upload then IP banning. IF we ever needed to go that route. I agree with Jason, we have such an awesome community right now that I don't think this would be a problem for a while.

Nah, restricting uploading to be a premium feature would mean much less people uploading, which we definitely don't want. We want the database to be as populated as possible, so that can't be a premium feature. But yeah, I don't see it being a big problem, at the beginning. Though I would build in safeguards, obviously.

If you do follow through with creating your own database, do you think you could treat each Operating System as a unique console? It's a massive problem that all the current databases lump them under the generic "PC" label, particularly when you've got games from Windows 3.1 or 95 that aren't compatible with modern devices.

Kriven said If you do follow through with creating your own database, do you think you could treat each Operating System as a unique console? It's a massive problem that all the current databases lump them under the generic "PC" label, particularly when you've got games from Windows 3.1 or 95 that aren't compatible with modern devices.
Yes. When we first talked about creating our own Database, or if we should or not and how we would, I was lamenting that I hate that my DOS games or only DOS if I keep them that way and are not imported for that piece of metadata. If we setup the database Wiki-esque, we can easily hook in to API calls and if its a database where we control the formatting importing it will also be a breeze, but my only concern is exporting data from LB to a Wiki style system. I'm not sure something like that is a built in feature.