LaunchBox Community Forums

TheGamesDB.net 403 forbidden

optimus0

Hello to all. I am getting this when trying to get any info from TGDB.net. An error occurred while trying to search TheGamesDB.net The remote server returned an error 403 forbidden. I can enter normally trough the web browser thanks

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

optimus0 said Hello to all. I am getting this when trying to get any info from TGDB.net. An error occurred while trying to search TheGamesDB.net The remote server returned an error 403 forbidden. I can enter normally trough the web browser thanks
As far as I know, this is still GDB sadly. They've been having... issues as of late. I will pass this on to Jason however to see if he can't double check to see if its still GDB though. If it is though, all the more reason we want to move on from them.

SentaiBrad said
optimus0 said Hello to all. I am getting this when trying to get any info from TGDB.net. An error occurred while trying to search TheGamesDB.net The remote server returned an error 403 forbidden. I can enter normally trough the web browser thanks
As far as I know, this is still GDB sadly. They've been having... issues as of late. I will pass this on to Jason however to see if he can't double check to see if its still GDB though. If it is though, all the more reason we want to move on from them.
thanks for the answer. i will wait en check again later, BTW each time that i try to enter GDB trough the web browser it ask for a captcha, i guess that could be the problem

optimus0 said
SentaiBrad said
thanks for the answer. i will wait en check again later, BTW each time that i try to enter GDB trough the web browser it ask for a captcha, i guess that could be the problem
That... might actually be it... If they changed an aspect of the how the site works and our method is now obstructed... that could be it. Knowing how a 503 error works compared to a 504, this is most likely the situation. 504 is a denial when the IP tries to connect to the server and fails when trying to connect, a 503 fails when you're trying to get a response back.

SentaiBrad said
bd000 said @optimus0 are you using a vpn or proxy?
I get errors consistently without the use of either. So while this could contribute to this specific case, GDB has been having unrelated issues as of recent.
vpn, i think.

optimus0 said
SentaiBrad said
bd000 said @optimus0 are you using a vpn or proxy?
I get errors consistently without the use of either. So while this could contribute to this specific case, GDB has been having unrelated issues as of recent.
vpn, i think.
Well they're close to similar but not quite. VPN's are generally a paid service. At least good ones. They're generally used to hide the source of your IP address. I'm still not convinced that this is the problem. I am convinced that it is GDB. I don't know if they fixed this, but even editing games was broken. You had to save what you did to an entry in a specific way. Add on this potential CAPTCHA thing... I am starting to think the Lights are on but no one is home type deal.

bd000 said They could be simply blocking the ip of the vpn. Too many requests maybe.
but if that were true, i will not be able to enter their web through the web browser....!! /? i tried Kodi (old xbmc) adavanced launcher addon (it work like launchbox) and all scrappers are working but TGDB (REALLY DONT LIKE kodi/xbmc) any idea? or workaround?

Jason Carr said Try turning off your VPN?
i connect to internet using a vpn connection with user name and password if turn that off ... no internet i test in some other friends houses and the same result. but we all are using the same internet provider and the same method to connect so...... (in fact all town use this service)

optimus0 said
bd000 said They could be simply blocking the ip of the vpn. Too many requests maybe.
but if that were true, i will not be able to enter their web through the web browser....!! /? i tried Kodi (old xbmc) adavanced launcher addon (it work like launchbox) and all scrappers are working but TGDB (REALLY DONT LIKE kodi/xbmc) any idea? or workaround?
GDB may be blocking the access from your VPN, even unknowingly. There might be an IP that your VPN uses that for what ever reason they've blocked potentially.

optimus0 said
i connect to internet using a vpn connection with user name and password if turn that off ... no internet i test in some other friends houses and the same result. but we all are using the same internet provider and the same method to connect so...... (in fact all town use this service)
Erm... so generally an ISP doesn't issue a VPN. A VPN is an external service that a user generally pays for so that their IP is routed through other servers first before reaching the desired website. For example, if I used a VPN, it would bounce to say... 4 other server locations before ending up at its destination. Unless you are paying specifically for a VPN service, you shouldn't be using one. Your ISP and your VPN are separate. This could be different in other countries... but I am fairly sure that is not a standard practice.

SentaiBrad said
optimus0 said
Erm... so generally an ISP doesn't issue a VPN. A VPN is an external service that a user generally pays for so that their IP is routed through other servers first before reaching the desired website. For example, if I used a VPN, it would bounce to say... 4 other server locations before ending up at its destination. Unless you are paying specifically for a VPN service, you shouldn't be using one. Your ISP and your VPN are separate. This could be different in other countries... but I am fairly sure that is not a standard practice.
nothing is standard practice here, here 2+2 is not 4 and green and red i can assure you is NOT yellow any way ....so no workaround? any way to change the scrapper? like gamefaqs or something? BTW thanks you ALL for your help. :)