LaunchBox Community Forums

TheGamesDB.net 403 forbidden

optimus0

optimus0 said
SentaiBrad said
optimus0 said
Jason Carr said Try turning off your VPN?
i connect to internet using a vpn connection with user name and password if turn that off ... no internet i test in some other friends houses and the same result. but we all are using the same internet provider and the same method to connect so...... (in fact all town use this service)
Erm... so generally an ISP doesn't issue a VPN. A VPN is an external service that a user generally pays for so that their IP is routed through other servers first before reaching the desired website. For example, if I used a VPN, it would bounce to say... 4 other server locations before ending up at its destination. Unless you are paying specifically for a VPN service, you shouldn't be using one. Your ISP and your VPN are separate. This could be different in other countries... but I am fairly sure that is not a standard practice.
nothing is standard practice here, here 2+2 is not 4 and green and red i can assure you is NOT yellow any way ....so no workaround? any way to change the scrapper? like gamefaqs or something? BTW thanks for your help. :)
No, GameFAQ's is not support through LaunchBox because they do not offer up their content for free. Us attempting to do so, which we could, could lead to users getting banned permanently from GameFAQ's. There are reports from another front end who's users got temp banned. The Games DB was chosen, and Wikipedia added on for specific reasons. They were relatively easy and offered their stuff up for free. This is something that has been discussed in dozens of threads at this point. Other wise, if you are using a VPN, there is no way to tell what your standard experience with The GamesDB should be. They've personally been giving a lot of users trouble but not related to VPN's.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SentaiBrad said
optimus0 said
SentaiBrad said
optimus0 said
Jason Carr said Try turning off your VPN?
i connect to internet using a vpn connection with user name and password if turn that off ... no internet i test in some other friends houses and the same result. but we all are using the same internet provider and the same method to connect so...... (in fact all town use this service)
Erm... so generally an ISP doesn't issue a VPN. A VPN is an external service that a user generally pays for so that their IP is routed through other servers first before reaching the desired website. For example, if I used a VPN, it would bounce to say... 4 other server locations before ending up at its destination. Unless you are paying specifically for a VPN service, you shouldn't be using one. Your ISP and your VPN are separate. This could be different in other countries... but I am fairly sure that is not a standard practice.
nothing is standard practice here, here 2+2 is not 4 and green and red i can assure you is NOT yellow any way ....so no workaround? any way to change the scrapper? like gamefaqs or something? BTW thanks for your help. :)
No, GameFAQ's is not support through LaunchBox because they do not offer up their content for free. Us attempting to do so, which we could, could lead to users getting banned permanently from GameFAQ's. There are reports from another front end who's users got temp banned. The Games DB was chosen, and Wikipedia added on for specific reasons. They were relatively easy and offered their stuff up for free. This is something that has been discussed in dozens of threads at this point. Other wise, if you are using a VPN, there is no way to tell what your standard experience with The GamesDB should be. They've personally been giving a lot of users trouble but not related to VPN's.
Thanks i will use wiki and local metada for info and i will add manually the cover and other images, is that possible?

I have heard of set-ups like this before, usually in remote areas in villages or small towns. A single IP address (or a small handful) is shared by the community and the ISP uses NAT devices to distribute the connection to each household. However, you are saying you use a VPN, although this is less common, it is possible your ISP uses this method to achieve the same results. The problem here is that if one person does something naughty and gets the IP blocked somewhere, it will be blocked for the rest of the community that use the same IP address. It is more likely that someone under that IP address has been infected with Malware that has turned thier system into a zombie, which has resulted the IP getting flagged. Your IP could be on a bot list that GDB uses, as well as many other sites. There are a few things you can do. First try connecting (http) through a free proxy service and see if this fixes the problem: Go to https://www.hidemyass.com/proxy and enter thegamesdb.net then click the "Hide My Ass!" button. You should be able to connect without getting the captcha. If not, then you have a different problem. If it works, you have a few options. 1. Contact your ISP and ask for personal, static IP address. This will cost you more money, but it will irradiate these types of issues. Unless of course it is you who is infected with malware, then you have a whole other set of problems. 2. Use a VPN or proxy service for all your connections. If you do connect to your ISP via VPN then setting up another VPN could get a little tricky, depending on how your ISP does it. So a proxy service could be the easiest or possibly the only option you have here. 3. Don't do anything and just wait it out. Just get by without using thegamesdb.net for now and try again at a later date. It is also possible that this shared IP address changes at regular intervals. If so, you might get a new IP that is not on any watch lists. Hope this helps and good luck! Also, there has been many discussions here regarding different scrapers and as of yet nothing will fit except GDB. This is one of the main reasons Jason is considering creating his own database. We all just have to be patient.

@bd000 Thanks https://www.hidemyass.com/proxy this web is not working for me i try IE, opera 12 and Firefox, it only show's a blank page. But in ToBrowser is working (allready try thegamesdb.net on Tor and...captcha) i guess my internet service provider is blocking https://www.hidemyass.com/proxy ? also can somebody please send me an example folder with images inside (image name and folder structure)? i am trying to add manually but is annoying. thanks PDA: sorry to be so insistent but this program is wonderful way better than steam origins or kodi THE BEST ONE by FAR.

optimus0 said @bd000 Thanks https://www.hidemyass.com/proxy this web is not working for me i try IE, opera 12 and Firefox, it only show's a blank page. But in ToBrowser is working (allready try thegamesdb.net on Tor and...captcha) i guess my internet service provider is blocking https://www.hidemyass.com/proxy ?
Try entering just thegamesdb.net - remove the https://
optimus0 said also can somebody please send me an example folder with images inside (image name and folder structure)? i am trying to add manually but is annoying.
Unfortunately it does not work like that, there is no local scraper. You could create it yourself I suppose. You would need the game ID in the filenames I think. I can't remember the exact structure, but it is something like Directory (Game name Game ID) > Image File (Game name Game ID .jpg) Just add a game and add images manually in LB and save. Then go take a look at the images folder. It would be very time consuming unless you automated it somehow.

bd000 said
optimus0 said @bd000 Thanks https://www.hidemyass.com/proxy this web is not working for me i try IE, opera 12 and Firefox, it only show's a blank page. But in ToBrowser is working (allready try thegamesdb.net on Tor and...captcha) i guess my internet service provider is blocking https://www.hidemyass.com/proxy ?
Try entering just thegamesdb.net - remove the https://
same result.
bd000 said Unfortunately it does not work like that, there is no local scraper. You could create it yourself I suppose. You would need the game ID in the filenames I think. I can't remember the exact structure, but it is something like Directory (Game name Game ID) > Image File (Game name Game ID .jpg) Just add a game and add images manually in LB and save. Then go take a look at the images folder. It would be very time consuming unless you automated it somehow.
well is no longer needed i am adding the images trough the UI and just pasting the screenshot in screenshot folder (open image folder generate the correct folder) :)

optimus0 said same result.
Script blocker maybe? Can you access the HMA site fine, but when you enter GDB and hit the button, you get no result? Have you tried a different site like Google or something, to test it?
optimus0 said well is no longer needed i am adding the images trough the UI and just pasting the screenshot in screenshot folder (open image folder generate the correct folder) :)
Ah OK. I'm glad you found a solution that works for you. Smile

optimus0 said
Jason Carr said Did you figure this out, @optimus0?
the GameDB thing? no, not even close, is taking forever going game by game i have more than 12gb in DOS games, not to mention NES, Sega Genesis, N64, PS2, PC, etc.
Then if you are only paying for your internet service, and not a VPN service, then you should get in contact with your ISP and see how they can fix this. I presume that this isn't your first similar issue, and I would assume it wont be your last.

SentaiBrad said
optimus0 said
the GameDB thing? no, not even close, is taking forever going game by game i have more than 12gb in DOS games, not to mention NES, Sega Genesis, N64, PS2, PC, etc.
Then if you are only paying for your internet service, and not a VPN service, then you should get in contact with your ISP and see how they can fix this. I presume that this isn't your first similar issue, and I would assume it wont be your last.
yes did that already, NO fix, they are aware of the issue, and don't consider a problem nothing i can do with them .... :( i guess i just to give up with this program and keep using a folder with shortcuts until find another way to make TGDB work, perhaps a travel to a big city..... i don't like to travel :(

optimus0 said
SentaiBrad said
optimus0 said
yes did that already, NO fix, they are aware of the issue, and don't consider a problem nothing i can do with them .... :( i guess i just to give up with this program and keep using a folder with shortcuts until find another way to make TGDB work, perhaps a travel to a big city..... i don't like to travel :(
Do you have other ISP options? I am really stumped as to what the hell is going on...

SentaiBrad said
optimus0 said
SentaiBrad said
optimus0 said
Do you have other ISP options? I am really stumped as to what the hell is going on...
No is the only one in town

Your ISP will not be able to help you, other than assigning you your own IP. If they can't do that, then you have to create your own solution. This will most certainly be a none-issue for them unless the whole town called up and complained about the same thing. Even then, if they have the monopoly, they'll probably just say "sorry, use a different site". Things will change when IPv6 is fully implemented. Am I right in assuming that you have called your ISP and requested a personal static IP and they said they cannot do that? Also, are you on dial-up or broadband? Dial-up would explain the fact you have to enter a user/pass to connect. Are you sure you were not mistaken when you said VPN? While it is possible and small remote towns can use some very odd methods, it is unlikely. I think you will need to find your own solution. Have you tried tunnelling out yet? If not, try a VPN. Subscriptions are only a few dollars for 1 month of service so it won't break the bank to give it a try. After a breif search I found that Boleh offer a 7-day trial service for $3.70 https://portal.bolehvpn.net/order.php They are many other services out there and you will probably want to shop around if you are planning to make a VPN service permanent. But these are cheap enough to test with and they are well established. Purchase the 7-day plan and download the client. Once connected to the net using your normal method, run the client and start the VPN. (They will have several gateways, just choose the one closest to you for initial testing.) Once connected, try connecting to GDB. Run LB and see if you can scrape.