LaunchBox Community Forums

neo-geo issue - mame can't find files, raine doesn't work

locvez

Hi all, I've followed the guides for the CLI standards for the emulators and I have most of them setup ok, but the neo-geo is doing my head in. I tried mame64 initially, no dice, it throws the following error - (see error2.png) - my settings are attached in error.png. The missing files are all located in the game zip file. I can't get raine to work at all, throws an error about some text file, so I renamed the files by removing the .zip extension, launchbox doesn't do anything then. Tried the suggestion by a forum member to use the "-nogui %~n1" switches, but it still doesn't do anything. Any help is much appreciated, thanks error2.pngerror.png

Hi. This game works ok in Mame. The game is 3 Count Bout Fire Suplex (NGM-043)(NGH-043) and the rom is 3countb.zip. The 9 Not Found items in your first image are the elements of the game rom. If Mame can't find any any of them then you may have an invalid rom. Take a look inside your 3countb.zip rom and see what is missing.

This is why I gave up on MAME for Neo-Geo. I kept getting errors because the not matching the MAME version or something to that extent. I use Nebula for my Neo-Geo, CPS1 and 2 roms. Those were the ones giving me issues with MAME I still use MAME for others. I was told to make sure the rom version matched the MAME version, but why go through all that mess...if another emulator will run it. If it's just the one game or a few try Nebula, it tipically, not always though, will run the roms that MAME throws a cow about.

Hi locvez. Are you by any chance using the "NeoGeo" rom version of this game? I believe that the "Mame" versions of NeoGeo games are the arcade board dumps, while the "NeoGeo" versions relate to the NeoGeo home console (aka AES). Out of curiosity I grabbed both versions billed as "NeoGeo" and "Mame" and tested them out with Mame, WinKawaks and Final Burn Alpha. All 3 emulators played the "Mame" rom version no problem, but all 3 emulators rejected the "NeoGeo" rom version. Mame rejected it exactly like you posted. I don't use Nebula or Raine so can't comment on which one these will play. Here is what you should see inside both roms.

Hi, thanks everyone for your replies. I am indeed using the Neo-Geo version of the roms (downloaded from "that" website that has lots of "full sets" of everything if you know where I mean, nudge nudge, wink wink) I'll need to try out more stuff when I get home, i've kind of dropped the neo-geo stuff just now and trying to get everything else working. I wish there was an easy way to remove duplicate roms though I've also got the latest MAME 0.162 roms, chd's and "Software list roms" But as of yet haven't done anything with them, not sure if LB is the best program for running MAME/MESS due to the thousands of files it imports..

locvez said Hi, thanks everyone for your replies. I am indeed using the Neo-Geo version of the roms (downloaded from "that" website that has lots of "full sets" of everything if you know where I mean, nudge nudge, wink wink) I'll need to try out more stuff when I get home, i've kind of dropped the neo-geo stuff just now and trying to get everything else working. I wish there was an easy way to remove duplicate roms though I've also got the latest MAME 0.162 roms, chd's and "Software list roms" But as of yet haven't done anything with them, not sure if LB is the best program for running MAME/MESS due to the thousands of files it imports..
No problems here with MAME or MESS in LB for me.

ps4isthefuture said No problems here with MAME or MESS in LB for me.
The only issue I had was multiple entries of the same game going in and it was scanning around 30k files. I stopped it after 10 minutes or so. I'll post a screenie when I get home.

I did some checking and apparently the arcade (MVS) and console (AES) NeoGeo roms are identical gamewise. They may have different filenames inside the zip but the CRCs are the important bits and should match. And sometimes the AES variant will have extra files. The main difference originally was a physical (money based) one to prevent cartridges being swapped between systems. So I sourced the 3countb console rom again and came up with one that FBA, WinKawaks and Mame all play. Seems like the first console rom was a dud. It looks like a case of you pick your site and hope for the best. And here is what the internal structure of the new, working 3countb NeoGeo AES rom looks like.

Thanks for checking that file for me, it seems I have that exact same file on my machine that was downloaded as part of the MAME Software List Roms pack. I will try this again when I get back, didn't have a chance to do anything last night. Thanks again for the help :)