LaunchBox Community Forums

Use folders for launching games

tony971

This adds compatibility for higan. Higan takes ROMs and gives them their own folders. The folders contain the ROM... but in parts. It needs to load all of the contents of the folder. So the only thing LaunchBox needs to do differently is tell higan to load the folder instead of the ROM. This info is from the dev of higan.

Jason Carr said I see, sure; so we just send it a folder path instead of a ROM file path. I can add that to the list. :) Are you the developer of Higan by chance? Or just know them?
No, that would be byuu Smile I was just on his forums. And thanks for adding it to the list!

monyarm said Thats only when you use higan for Super Famicom (SNES) games , higan also supports gameboy(Color/Advance) and NES , and the name of the folder depends on the name of the rom
Every. Single. SNES game folder ends with ".sfc" That part is standard no matter what the name of the ROM is. I'm not sure about the other emulators because I've only used Higan for SNES (like a LOT of users). When I saw that it was "sfc," I thought "well clearly that's just for Super FamiCom" but then byuu said this: http://board.byuu.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=634&start=60#p14893

• 5 months later...
Hello Everyone, I just wanted to share a little script i have made "start.txt" just rename to "start.bat" and drop it in the higan folder. If you create a start.bat file with the below code it will start the game from within launchbox if you set it as the emulator application path.
@echo off set string=%1% set string=%string:\program.rom=% CALL "higan-balanced.exe" %string%
The %1% outputs the rom path and the string below it removes the \program.rom from that string so you get a clean directory structure which higan can use or is using. Hope this is helpfull

There are people who very strongly do not want to update any of their software. I love updating software and games personally, it is kind of fun. However even we see it with LaunchBox, there are people who don't want to update or begrudgingly update and are mad when they have to. I guess it's just personal preference.