LaunchBox Community Forums

Change emulator for platform?

mattsoft

• 1 year later...

It's not a good idea to put all your eggs into one basket so to speak when it comes to N64 emulation, especially if that basket is the Retroarch core. I find it best to set up both Project 64 and Mupen 64 and set each game to use one or the other emulator. Different games work significantly better or worse depending on the emulator. Certain games, especially the more mainstream ones like Mario or Zelda will work just fine no matter which emu you use.

• 3 months later...

Jason -

This doesn't work as expected now with consolidated ROMs. All of the main entries get updated to use the new emulator (i.e. when you double click), but the regional entries are all left to their previous settings.

Presumably this can be worked around in the short term by expanding all games, and then consolidating after the batch edit, but still worth noting.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but i am just now running into this exact problem.

I wanted to change all SNES games from SNES9x to Retroarch in order to get Retroachievements running. Changed the emulator with ctrl+a and the wizard for all SNES games which worked fine. Retroachievements only supports select versions of ROMs though and sometimes my default version would not be supported, but maybe another one. But if I tried to run an alternative Version of the ROM it would always start it with SNES9x and not Retroarch. (I even removed SNES9x in an attempt to make it run with Retroarch, which failed.) I know i can change the emulator for specific versions of single games in the edit menu but i was looking for a way to do this for all my games at once.

Then i looked the problem up and found this thread.

On 3/3/2017 at 8:50 AM, hackenbacker said:

Jason -

This doesn't work as expected now with consolidated ROMs. All of the main entries get updated to use the new emulator (i.e. when you double click), but the regional entries are all left to their previous settings.

Presumably this can be worked around in the short term by expanding all games, and then consolidating after the batch edit, but still worth noting. 

This was an option i was considering but i thought that merging the games again might be a hassle. I don't know if i'll have to do it for each game manually and how long it would take me to do it for a big collection.

On 3/6/2017 at 11:15 PM, Jason Carr said:

Yup, thanks, I've noted that @hackenbacker. Hopefully we can do something with that soon.

So my question is: By now, is there an easy way to change the emulator for all Versions of all ROMs on a system in one go? Or should i go with the expand -> change emulator -> merge path and how long do you think it woult take me to do that for a big SNES collection?

A quick answer would be greatly appreciated.

26 minutes ago, MrSchnuggles said:

I know this is an old thread but i am just now running into this exact problem.

I wanted to change all SNES games from SNES9x to Retroarch in order to get Retroachievements running. Changed the emulator with ctrl+a and the wizard for all SNES games which worked fine. Retroachievements only supports select versions of ROMs though and sometimes my default version would not be supported, but maybe another one. But if I tried to run an alternative Version of the ROM it would always start it with SNES9x and not Retroarch. (I even removed SNES9x in an attempt to make it run with Retroarch, which failed.) I know i can change the emulator for specific versions of single games in the edit menu but i was looking for a way to do this for all my games at once.

Then i looked the problem up and found this thread.

This was an option i was considering but i thought that merging the games again might be a hassle. I don't know if i'll have to do it for each game manually and how long it would take me to do it for a big collection.

So my question is: By now, is there an easy way to change the emulator for all Versions of all ROMs on a system in one go? Or should i go with the expand -> change emulator -> merge path and how long do you think it woult take me to do that for a big SNES collection?

A quick answer would be greatly appreciated.

To be honest the quickest method would probably be to delete the platform and re-import it specifying Retroarch in the wizard. You would uncheck all of the media downloads as you already have it all, so it will re-attach after.

6 minutes ago, MrSchnuggles said:

Thanks for the fast answer. That sounds kinda radical but without the media downloads it shouldn't take too long i guess so i'll try it.

Yeah if you uncheck all media downloads (leave the metadata download box checked) then a new import will only take a couple of minutes.

I re-imported all SNES games and it went reasonably quickly and smoothly but i lost any favorite flags i set before that. It's not a big deal but I was going to do the same for NES Games and a couple of other consoles that i switched to retroarch and it would take quite some time to re-import them all and set my favorite flags again. I feel like there should be a better way to do this. Maybe i'll try that "expand -> change emulator -> merge" thing on a small number of games to see if that would work better.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...