LaunchBox Community Forums

Wireless Controller Setup Question

dmaker

I've been using LB for a while now on my laptop. Now I am going to take the plunge and install it on my XBMC/KODI htpc. I have a premium license, and am looking forward to big box mode. I used to run an emu launcher on xbmc a couple of years ago, but it proved to be less that stable over time, so I kind of gave up on the idea. My first question is which wireless controller to use. I have a Logitech f710 and an xbox 360 controller available to me. If you had your choice between those two, which one would you choose and why? Is one easier to setup than the other, etc? Also, if you feel a different controller would work better, I'm not against that option either. Thank-you Forgot to add, I also have a PS4. So , I guess I could use one of those controllers as well?

I use 4 Xbox 360 pads wireless on my set up. It works right out of the box with LB/BB and Retroarch which is my main emulator back end. It also works in Dolphin, PPSSPP, PCSX2, DEmul, nullDC and any other emulators I have thrown at it. I can't really say for the logitech but it is worth a try.

I personally use a PS4 controller myself, and have used a 360 controller in the past, but I never used them wirelessly. However, that won't matter. In terms of what controller I prefer, I prefer my PS4 controller greatly. The PS4 controller has a vastly superior d-pad over the 360 controller, and if you are going to play 2D games then this is a must I think. Otherwise, they're fairly similar, I just like my PS4 better (I just prefer Sony I guess). As for that Logitech controller, I've never used a controller from them before, but my Keyboard, Mouse and Headset are from Logitech, so they make good stuff. Honestly, all controllers will work, it will just be down to what you prefer to use. Download InputMapper and test out your PS4 controller. The PC will just think it is a 360 controller.

I honestly have no clue, I haven't used my PS4 controller wirelessly, but I would just turn off the PS4 or turn off the controller on the PS4. If you hold your PS Button and go to devices you can turn off a controller. So as long as you don't press the PS Button to activate the controller or turn on the PS4 it should be fine.

I know when I got XBox One wireless adapter and connected it to my computer it kept turning my XBox on so I had to unplug the XBox completely or it would automatically connect to the XBox so if PS4 controller can be used to power on the machine it might not work if it is plugged in. I have Logitech F710 and they work fine if you are running Windows 10 you have to have the XBox 360 drivers in order to get it to work though. So basically you have a lot of options because all 3 will work. I suggest instead of taking other peoples opinions you connect all 3 to your PC and try them out and see which one you prefer.

If my PS4 controller is unplugged it will turn on the PS4 and once the PS4 is on, once I plug it in to my PC it doesn't work right. Even with it still plugged in, once I turn off the PS4 and the controller is plugged in to my PC it doesn't interfere with the PS4. It won't even turn it on. However, this is plugged in, not wireless.