LaunchBox Community Forums

Can you reverse the "Arrange by - Date added" to descending?

ZimFreak

I absolutely love launch box but I there's one little snag that keeps annoying me. I can't for the life of me figure out how to order by date added with the newest games on top. This is always how I've sorted my games because it makes it easy to quickly jump into whatever is the newest game that came out that I'm currently into. As it is now, I have it arranged by 'date added' and I just scroll to the bottom of the list every time I launch Launch Box. Seems like a relatively easy addition to add an descending sort, and I would really appreciate it. Thanks for all you guys do, Zim

• 10 months later...
On further examination a "Date Added" sort does sort newest to oldest, I mixed that up with "Release Date." I was hoping to have the option when I select sort by Release Year (or any sorting option) to reverse the sort so any sort could be A-Z or Z-A... don't know how much work that would be. Though it would be particularly nice for Release Year if nothing else, it's a neat sort, and it makes a little sense to have an option where all the newer games show up first, as great as all those games from the 80s and 90s are, my newer purchases are usually more relevant. :) Also, I guess while I have your attention, is there a way to sort it alphabetically without special groupings by a custom field (like "sort name" and sort name would just be generally the same as the game title, but in cases of a series of games with non-numerical naming that causes the games to go in a bad order, you could enforce numerical naming with the sort field tag, without having to resort to an incorrect title, to sort the series in the desired order (usually chronologically, but however you'd like)).

• 2 weeks later...

Say you have a series of games that you want to appear in order by their place in the series.  But the titles of the games aren't released in an alphabetical sequence (like the Fire Emblem games for example which don't use numbers in the subtitles vs say Final Fantasy which would have numbering in it, but I'm not certain it properly parses roman numerals so "IX" comes after "VIII"?  If it does that's great) so the Title sort puts them out order and you get the 4th game in the series listing first, and so on.  Sure, you could probably force a sort by giving them custom titles, but I'd prefer just to leave the title to be correct.  So I could make a custom field called "Sort Title," and put the custom title there, but I believe sorting by this custom field would cause every game to appear in it's own row if I'm not mistaken, instead of grouping them in one big bunch like Title sort?  

I guess I was trying out the "Series" sort too, and it just wastes too much space for my liking for games that aren't in a series (you get tons of rows with just one item).  Maybe it would be nice to have all the entries that have less than two games in the series fall to the bottom in a single group?

Edited by bookw

I guess that's what I get for not looking harder, sorry!  But thanks for help and if you eventually do the more advanced sorting options then I'd be even happier with the program, it is useful in these sorts of apps (reverse sorting), maybe even being able to select a second and third sort field, so you could really customize the order of the list.  Thanks again for the help and sorry for the trouble! :) 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...