LaunchBox Community Forums

O2EM for Odyssey2?

Randalf

Is O2EM good for Odyssey 2 games? I downloaded it, and pointed to the path in launchbox where the app is, I am not sure if I am pointing to the right file or missing a command, it seems if I launch a game, the command prompt screen opens and then closes, and I get nothing no errors, no game. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Randalf. O2EM works fine with LaunchBox. See the setup images below (your paths will differ). If you've set things up like this then all should be ok. Your bios and game roms need to be unzipped to work. The bios rom goes in the BIOS folder and the games go in the ROMS folder. The -fullscreen parameter is optional.

Thank you for the replies. I found my errors, had an old version apparently as I had no BIOS folders, I found a better version, found the BIOS folder, everything is working. My only challenge is determining if my logitech gamepad will work instead of using the keyboard, I read the files on the config file, for some reason figuring out how to add one is not clicking in my head here.

Ok after reading this post I decided to try to set this up and I can't get it to work. If I use O2EMLauncher I can get it to start if I go through LaunchBox the command window starts and then just stops. I've added images of my paths I don't see what the issue is.
Spoiler
ROMs.JPG
Spoiler
BIOS.JPG
The version I got from SourceForge doesn't include a BIOS folder I just added my own but it isn't working so that may be the issue where did you get the newer version from.

Hi Derek You can get the latest windows binary (1.18) here. http://o2em.sourceforge.net/# I'm using the same bios as the first one on your list (Spoiler 2) You can rename it to o2rom.bin if you like. Hi Randalf You can make a settings file for o2em like this. First use Notepad to make a new text file and name it o2em_def Enter whatever settings you want as the o2em guide explains and save. This file will have the .txt extension and you will need to change this to the .cfg extension. This file goes into the same folder as your o2em.exe You need to clear the Default Command Line Parameters box in the LaunchBox Edit Emulators window for o2em, as anything in here will overrule stuff in your new config file.

I have it working it didn't like my ROM names once I take out the Spaces it fixes everything. I discovered this by getting it running from the command line first once I seen it wouldn't work with the ROMs I had I tried editing the naming (only 117 left to go and yeah I'll probably never play them)

Thanks again for the information, I tried -s1=3 and the joystick is not responding with the emulator, I looked into the help file on making a default config file but I believe I am just over reading it not knowing what to put to map out what is up, down, and how the gamepad is detected by the emulator.

Yeah no dice with the controller for me either looks like a job for X-Padder. I got it working using O2EMLauncher and was hoping the config would carry over into the O2EM but that was a negative. I looked into the help file also and I am a little confused at how to set that up. Edit: Ok when I launch the game from command prompt and add the -s1=3 the next time I launch it from launch box the joystick does work but some games that will launch from LaunchBox won't open from the command prompt anyone know if there is a limit on how man characters a game name can be.

Hi Derek, out of curiosity, which controller did you use? It looks like controller use may be hit and miss and I just struck it lucky with using a Sony PS2 one. I agree, the Xpadder solution would be best, as the -s1=3 switch really only affects the 5 gameplaying keys. With Xpadder it would be possible to map the other emulator keys like ESC and the function keys too. RetroArch might be another route, but I know nothing about it apart from it may have o2em support. By the way, I've had no issues with games with spaces in their rom names. Stuff like Atlantis (USA, Europe).bin and Pick Axe Pete (USA, Europe).bin launch just fine. Very strange indeed.

I'm using an X-Box 360 for Windows controller. It actually works in some of the other games I've tried without first launching them from command I can't get it to work with Alien Invader Plus even with it set in the command line for the emulator and that is one of the games that won't launch from the command line but will from LaunchBox why I don't know. It is strange that your games work in that format that is exactly the way I had it.

Xpadder works fine. No more -s1=3 crossed fingers approach. The downside is that while a common Xpadder game profile works for all Odyssey2 games, the Additional Apps if used to auto launch and close Xpadder needs manual setting up for each game. Game saving and loading in O2EM. There appears to be no option to specify a saves folder, like you can do for bios and roms; game savestates have to go in your main folder. Game saves are enabled by using the -savefile=file parameter and as they are on a by game basis they need to use the Use Custom Command Line Parameters. Best thing is to abandon the Default Command Line Parameters and put global (all games) parameters in your o2em_def.cfg file; things like fullscreen etc., and use the Custom Command Line Parameters for game specific things like save files. One thing, if you save your progress in a game and then launch the game again, it does not offer an option to either start a new game or load the saved one. It just loads the last saved state of the game.

@scree they don't seem like the type of games you would be saving anyway just like Atari or Colecovision games simple fun (or at least funny to laugh at and be amazed at how far the evolution has come) without any true objective (well Adventure has an ending so I've read). @Randalf are you saying that your games have no sound and they are in black and white because that shouldn't be the case mine all have sound and color one of the .txt files in the doc folder discusses the command line that it excepts. I got use to what to do in the cmd today just by reading the .txt files of course I already know some simple command language to navigate through the directories if you do not know anything about using cmd then it could be problematic.

@DOS76 the games in full screen are in color, but a weak color (best I can explain it, reminds me of an old tube tv starting to burn out) In window mode, color is great. Sound is there, sometimes choppy, I will look into the doc file and the command line, I don't know command language, (DOS commands if that counts for anything) I suppose it couldn't be too hard to figure out, but sometimes I need a simple reading to figure things out quicker. My background has been more on the Hardware side of things, more than software or language programming.