LaunchBox Community Forums

Raspberry Pi 2

bjwest

I run ESPXE and Project64 on a Dell Inspiron 1525 (2007 Vista laptop upgraded to W10) with a Core 2 Duo T8300 with the PS1 games on my server and it handles them. I'm confident that a modern Pentium would definitely handle it but I wouldn't get less than an i5 personally.

• 3 weeks later...
No, the Pi 3 isn't powerful enough either for the entire Package. You gotta remember that the issues that we're present previous are only fixed because of slightly more CPU but it is still all predicated on Linux. Windows is still a disaster on Pi 3, still not enough RAM. The Raspberry Pi 3 will need at least 2-3GB of RAM to run a very light version of Windows 10, maybe at 2 or 3 their special version will run well. For the Pi 2 and 3 it runs very poorly, thus LaunchBox would be even worse. I would love it to work with the Pi. If you had a super super small library then setting LaunchBox to use 0 extra RAM for caching might work. It would still be slow and what's the point with minimal games. A medium to large library feasibly requires more then the min. that is set currently, 1GB+ of extra RAM is preferable. There are CoC's that achieve really great power and are about double the size of a Pi. 8 core, 64bit and 3GB of ram at under $100. I was debating making tablets with them, still not a Windows anything with LaunchBox on top.

I'm not really interested in the Pi. I have a MeeGoPad T2 which I don't know if it qualifies but it probably does the only difference is that the chip also has built in HDMI so you don't need a cable you just plug the PC itself into your display. It is fanless and gets rather warm (I should have checked what the temps were I'm just going off of touch) I ordered 2 USB cooling fans yesterday that I'm going to makeshift a way to attach the fans to the case to dissipate some of the heat I'm waiting for them to come now.

I think I am going towards a Pyra or a GPD Win. Difference is, Pyra is Linux and GPD Win is W10. The GPD Win, in theory, is powerful enough to run LaunchBox actually. Otherwise we want to throw a Pi 3 in to an R2D2 shell we have, or build a custom set tablet with a board like this: http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G143452239825&tab_idx=1. It's just a dream anyways. :P

LaunchBox doesn't need much power to run I run it succesfully on two tablet and the MeeGoPad all three have the same Atom processor one of the tablets and the MGP have 2GB of RAM the other tablet only has one as long as you turn down the RAM cache then there is no problem at all and this is with thousands of games on there.