LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame Video Snaps

dudechester

Where in the world does one get all the latest Mame video snaps these days? It really should be available to share freely, and I know if I had the time to make them all, I would happily share a big torrent for others to enjoy. I don't want to use ftp, I'm definitely don't have time to sit and manually download separate zips. Is there a complete torrent anywhere? I would pay even though I don't agree with paying for moving screen captures of someone elses hard work... :) thanks any help.

No I don't agree with people using other people's hard work (the games themselves) and making money off a video clip of them. Loads of people must have made thesense collections out there, so we if we all shared this stuff it would be great (and actually more legal than making money off recordings of other people's "hard work". These links were mostly image snaps dude, and I had visited them in the search before my post here :) It's frustrating as if I left mame running with f1 as start record and f12 as stop record... my pet cat could technically make a video snaps by walking across the keyboard, so whilst it's easy and ok a little time consuming, we should be sharing video snaps libraries, as it's perfectly legal, saves time and money ^^ Maybe it would be a good idea to have a section for good quality video snaps, contributed by launchbox supporters themselves. This way there'd also be a variety avaliable, and in no time at all, complete, high quality, recent collections. Still... dont think there is a complete mame collection of video snaps anywhere though in form of a torrent. Or single download? The whole collection isn't even that big by today's standards of size and net speed. Thanks

Ah, I see what you mean; and I'm sorry, I honestly didn't even look at the sites I just searched snaps. Personally, I make money off of YouTube creating gaming content myself, but that I think is a step above just taking a video of something then trying to sell it. xD I try to put a lot of entertainment in to it. I'll take another look to see if I can't find something myself, but video wise.

I thought I would never be interested in the video snaps until I saw them in BigBox and then I shelled out my money to EmuMovies so I could add them. I hate paying for anything too but if it was make thousand and thousands of videos or download them in bulk for some loot my time is more precious than a few $20 bills so now you have a choice either start working, pay up or forgo having video snaps all together.

They're not named properly: https://www.youtube.com/user/MameVideoSnaps/videos But that is a good list of videos. I use Jdownloader 2 and 4k Video Downloader myself for videos. Copy the channel link and paste the link in to one of these programs and it will download all available video for you, that is a solution. Here's another resource: https://mega.nz/#F!J5RySYAQ!B1GAqifkEGXd38FlFgsjEg Jdownloader 2 will also download all of these very very easily. This one will take a bit of sleuthing and I am unsure if JD2 or 4k video downloader will help make the downloads easier. DownThemAll might be if you set the filter to search for just video: http://gamesdbase.com/all_videos.aspx I know it's not as simple as you wanted it to be, but they do exist out there.

You could use the EmuMovies download tool if you don’t want to use FTP. Just point it on your MAME roms folder and if you have a complete rom set you will get every video snap they offer (atm nearly 4700). If you don’t care about quality you can get the 240p versions even for free. But the EmuMovies FTP would still be the fastest way. You could download their whole archive with over 100.000 videos for nearly every system with just one drag and drop.

Well I would pay for someone to do it sure :) but only if they had a complete collection, they were their own carefully planned out video captures and most importantly, available for a single download. 5 years ago size and speed were catching up together, but now we have speeds which could download the whole lot In a matter of minutes. There's no need for ftp etc anymore. Besides ftp is rather an old fashion now :) The cool kids now days would never have heard of ftp. In fact I only ever tried it once. So I think I'm still cool. Well really with today's speeds, it could even just be a direct download from the site, one smooth all the way zip file. I'd gladly pay, just to save the efforts. Emumovie has captures, they are just as much a hassle in my experience. I registered with then before and that's where I had tried the ftp, but I lost a portable hard drive, went to go back to download snaps again, and my paid subscription ended. I didn't feel like paying twice.... They werent even high resolution captures.

There is nothing wrong with FTP sure it has speed limits but if people have data and that is how you can get it then well what ever. This is making me feel old though because where I'm from the "cool kids" couldn't even spell FTP much less use a computer (of course I didn't use or even own a computer then and they didn't have them in school yet) I much preferred hanging with the burnout derelicts over the cool kids anyday

480p is for these old games more than enough. They look crystal clear in full screen and a higher resolution would just be a waste of space on the hard drive because they wouldn’t add any quality to it. Especially when you watch the snaps most of the time in a little video frame anyway. And btw. I have fullspeed at the EmuMovies FTP (12 MB/s) if I download 10 files at the same time. And I guess you don’t really know for what FTP is really used for and what benefits it has (because you said you used FTP only once), so just take it as it is or use the EmuMovies Download Tool.
  • Like 1

CriticalCid said 480p is for these old games more than enough. They look crystal clear in full screen and a higher resolution would just be a waste of space on the hard drive because they wouldn’t add any quality to it. Especially when you watch the snaps most of the time in a little video frame anyway. And btw. I have fullspeed at the EmuMovies FTP (12 MB/s) if I download 10 files at the same time. And I guess you don’t really know for what FTP is really used for and what benefits it has (because you said you used FTP only once), so just take it as it is or use the EmuMovies Download Tool.
Yea may well be. So in this case, if we are using the Launchbox movie downloader, how can we do that once we have the games all nicely imported and named correctly which takes a lot of time? The option to use emumovies is available when you import new games, but how does launchbox work to deal with games already imported? I know there is bulk edit, but is it possible to search for bulk movies from emumovies at this stage? Thanks.

If you go into the platform you want to work with do a control + a to select everything then go into tools and select download metadata and images. From there go through the Wizard and select the option yes but don't import for existing fields unless you want to get all new metadata then replace everything. If you don't have a paid EmuMovies account though I don't think LaunchBox gets videos when it imports.

SentaiBrad said No, we don't download any videos from EmuMovies. If I recall this is one thing we can't do.
So even if we did get hundreds of videos, if the videos are named differently to the roms, especially in other platforms, does this mean in Launchbox... to use video, we will have to manually 1 by 1 check all the videos are named the same as the roms? oO Emumovies I know fact doesnt have the same named sega videos to some of my roms. Hmm videos or snaps, videos or snaps....... That is the question! :) Snaps take up a lot less room for sure, and are certainly a lot less hassle, since they can download from emumoives and match up, (for free)

Any files, regardless of if it is Video, Images, Music, Manuals, etc etc needs to be named within reason to what it needs to match. So if your game name is Legend of Zelda, the rom file is named Legend of Zelda (USA), a music file named Legend of Zelda (Japanese) will probably work, a file named Legend of Zelda would also work. Something like LoZ wouldn't work, or Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time wouldn't attach to Legend of Zelda either. So obviously it can't be crazy, but it can be within the logic if LaunchBox.
  • Like 1

Yeah if you have a paid account with EmuMovies then LaunchBox will download videos from them but if you only have a free account then you are SOOL. I believe that when you use the import it finds games that may not be exactly matched and matches them but I am not sure. I know that some games that don't get metadata from the GDB will have video or snaps added even though there will be no cover or it won't be linked to the data base.

SentaiBrad said No, we don't download any videos from EmuMovies. DOS76 Yeah if you have a paid account with EmuMovies then LaunchBox will download videos Come on guys... Whose telling the truth here? :) If Launchbox can download the movies like Dos76 expresses, this changes everything. Thanks.