LaunchBox Community Forums

How can I play Minecraft with Xbox controller?

Tatts4Life

So I've been showing my kids all the old games I would play on NES, SNES and Genesis. My youngest loved it because she can use one of our Xbox 360 wireless controllers. She asked me if Minecraft would would with the controller. Of course it doesn't right out of the box which made her sad. I've tried looking and have found several things online but I couldn't get them to work. So I'm wondering does anybody know of one that works good with the wireless controller and Minecraft?

Buy it on Xbox or Playstation. Minecraft will not work great with one of those programs on PC and it doesn't have native support for it (Though I don't think that any keyboard to controller mapping software is any good. It's all super clumsy and can take a while to setup). On PC though you have mods, which there are a TON of them and they won't play well with a controller and a lot of people on PC would call it a core feature. I would just suggest if you need it to be through a controller to grab the PS4 or Xbox One versions from PSN or Xbox Live otherwise if you want mods you'll need to learn it with the keyboard. If you do stick with PC though I suggest the Curse for Minecraft launcher. http://beta.cursevoice.com/games/minecraft It has mod packs you can download prebuilt and it's fairly easy to deal with instead of trying to put mods in minecraft on your own. Between versions, incompatibility with each other and no standards it's a super stupid process, but this makes it click of a button.

Tatts4Life said So I've been showing my kids all the old games I would play on NES, SNES and Genesis. My youngest loved it because she can use one of our Xbox 360 wireless controllers. She asked me if Minecraft would would with the controller. Of course it doesn't right out of the box which made her sad. I've tried looking and have found several things online but I couldn't get them to work. So I'm wondering does anybody know of one that works good with the wireless controller and Minecraft?
I've been playing Minecraft for a long time on my wireless 360 controller using Xpadder. I don't find it clumsy or difficult at all, and would recommend it. If you have any questions about xpadder itself, I can probably help there too. I also have minecraft for the Xbox One, and fyi, they just came out with a huge update for it that makes it pretty much on par with the pc version in terms of content, with the exception of the aforementioned mods. For a non modded minecraft experience on a xbox controller, either way works fine. Xpadder also has a feature that will autolaunch your button map profile whenever you launch minecraft, but I personally never use it.