LaunchBox Community Forums

Saturn SSF?

Imgema

I would find the region free BIOS patch or a pre-compiled version. It may be buggy, so test it out with each region for a bit first, but it exists. And @Zombeaver's right Derek, generally not. They can make games region free sometimes if they know how to so that way you can also put the rom on a cart / disc for your real console.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have 3 different SSF setups, each one with a different bios. Then i discovered a region free bios but as far as i remember it wasn't perfect. I still had a few issues with some games. And then i discovered that in RocketLauncher you can select all 3 bios files and it automatically chooses the right one. I know many people here don't want to use that extra layer but i haven't found anything that handles SSF as good as RL does. So maybe it could be an exception just for SSF alone.

KyaeroSaber said Hmm... as bare bones as possible would look something like this:
@echo off set game=%1% set daemon="C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Pro\DTAgent.exe" set emu="***SSF.exe LOCATION***\SSF.exe" %daemon% -mount 0, %game% start /wait "" %emu% %daemon% -unmount 0
As long as each game's .cue is in the same folder as its .bin/.mp3s/etc then the .cues you imported into LaunchBox as Saturn roms should mount and play just fine; .mdf/.mds should work the same way as .bin/.cue. The other .cues don't have to be in the same folder, it's just the quirky way I do it (makes mass rom import easier).
Thanks for taking the time to share the bat. Would you happen to know how to change this code to use MagicISO instead? I tried plugging in the program-specific command line (%daemon% NULL -mnt d: %game%) with %daemon% pointing to my MagicISO installation directory and exe and d: being my virtual drive, but it fails to load the image. I'm transistioning to Launchbox from Gameex, which worked with MagicISO. MagicISO has been rock-solid for me when using it with SSF. If it's possible to use it here, I'd recommend it.

SentaiBrad said I found this with an easy search of "magic iso bat commands". http://magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-mount-iso-image.htm
Thanks, but that's the page I used to edit the program specific commands into the original bat. My problem is that I can't seem to edit the bat correctly even using the commands found on that page. I'm not experienced with making or using bats, but I did put some effort into editing the original bat before posting. Might be a simple thing I'm missing, but I haven't gotten it to work.

Parqer said
KyaeroSaber said Hmm... as bare bones as possible would look something like this:
@echo off set game=%1% set daemon="C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Pro\DTAgent.exe" set emu="***SSF.exe LOCATION***\SSF.exe" %daemon% -mount 0, %game% start /wait "" %emu% %daemon% -unmount 0
As long as each game's .cue is in the same folder as its .bin/.mp3s/etc then the .cues you imported into LaunchBox as Saturn roms should mount and play just fine; .mdf/.mds should work the same way as .bin/.cue. The other .cues don't have to be in the same folder, it's just the quirky way I do it (makes mass rom import easier).
Thanks for taking the time to share the bat. Would you happen to know how to change this code to use MagicISO instead? I tried plugging in the program-specific command line (%daemon% NULL -mnt d: %game%) with %daemon% pointing to my MagicISO installation directory and exe and d: being my virtual drive, but it fails to load the image. I'm transistioning to Launchbox from Gameex, which worked with MagicISO. MagicISO has been rock-solid for me when using it with SSF. If it's possible to use it here, I'd recommend it.
In case anyone's interested in using MagicISO with SSF in Launchbox, I finally got it to work by making the changes to KyaeroSaber's original bat below:
@echo off set game=%1% set daemon="C:\Program Files (x86)\MagicISO\miso.exe" set emu="***SSF.exe LOCATION***\SSF.exe" %daemon% NULL -mnt d: %game% start /wait "" %emu% %daemon% NULL -umnt 1
The d: in this instance is my virtual drive letter; change it to whatever letter you use for your virtual drive. It was failing to work for me for a while due to a typo I made while editing the original bat. Got it working today, and wanted to post it to make life easier for anyone else who prefers MagicISO for their virtual disc needs. Thanks again to KyaeroSaber for creating the original bat.

• 1 month later...

So I have a bit of a strange issue: for the most part I can run SSF 0.12 beta R4 successfully from LaunchBox. Once and awhile I will get an "Insert disc" error from presumably Daemon Tools Lite which to me feels like a race condition. If I retry, I usually get the game to load.

My problem, however, is when I try to play them in BigBox; I simply get a blank screen.

In LaunchBox, I am pointing to SSF as my emulator. And then in the emulator dialogue's "Sample Command" section I have this:

launch-ssf.bat "FULL\PATH\TO\ROM\FILE"

launch-ssf.bat I believe I found on these forums awhile back? Here is the contents of that file:

@echo off

set daemon="C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe"

start "" %daemon% -ªømount dt, 0, %1%

start /wait "" "C:\Users\MineOne\Desktop\Emulators\Saturn\SSF_012_beta_R4\SSF.exe"

%daemon% -unmount dt, 0

Anyone have any idea why this would work in LauchBox but not BigBox?

Is there a better, recommended way to run games from SSF?

Edited by Stank