LaunchBox Community Forums

Saturn SSF?

Imgema

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, i'm looking in how to run this with Launchbox. I can already run the standalone version just fine and it even works with Rocketlauncher/Hyperspin. But i can't make it work with Launchbox. I don't care much about Yabause because i can already run this with every frontend i use via it's retroarch core. It's also an inferior emulator that SSF so SSF is my main right now.

you have to use the additional apps feature to load either the discs and unload them or you have to launch SSF from an additional app. The easiest way to do this is to setup the platform without an emulator with your pc associated to load the disc into Daemon Tools then you set up SSF to load afterwards in the additional apps beware that this process is extremely far from being intuitive or automated and it requires an additional app for every game you want to add so major PITA for Saturn. Their is a .bat somewhere on here and while I did get it to work it seemed that I had significantly less compatibility using the .bat vs the additional apps. Good luck, I'm glad mine is done and I don't have to sweat it anymore.

DOS76 said you have to use the additional apps feature to load either the discs and unload them or you have to launch SSF from an additional app. The easiest way to do this is to setup the platform without an emulator with your pc associated to load the disc into Daemon Tools then you set up SSF to load afterwards in the additional apps beware that this process is extremely far from being intuitive or automated and it requires an additional app for every game you want to add so major PITA for Saturn. Their is a .bat somewhere on here and while I did get it to work it seemed that I had significantly less compatibility using the .bat vs the additional apps. Good luck, I'm glad mine is done and I don't have to sweat it anymore.
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure there must be an easier, more automated way to run this. I know because i use SSF via Hyperspin/Rocketlauncher without having to do anything else. Maybe the AHK file (basically the config file for each emu) has all the information needed inside it but i can't decipher it so i can "port" the same settings in Launchbox somehow.

There isn't currently a way to automate this through Launchbox, but I put in a feature ticket a couple days ago for that purpose. Until that's implemented, this is how you want to set it up in LB. 1) Choose your .cue as your rom as normal 2) Go to the emulation tab on your game entry and uncheck "Use an emulator to play this game (primarily for console games) 3) Go to the Additional Apps tab, add a new app, enter SSF application name, browse to SSF.exe for the application path, and check "Automatically Run After Main Application" This will mount your disc, and run SSF with the mounted disc once complete. If multiple games are setup this way, when you run another game, it will mount that disc, overwriting the old one, and run SSF with that mounted disc. If that feature request is implemented you won't have to do any of this, you'll just need to add SSF as a regular emulator and check a box in the emulator details.

DOS76 said If you use RL as the emulator in LB shouldn't it just work automatically? That is what I thought from reading other RocketLauncher users post in the past.
Really, you can? Damn, if that's true it will fix a few other problems i have. I will test it when i get some time and report here. .
Zombeaver said There isn't currently a way to automate this through Launchbox, but I put in a feature ticket a couple days ago for that purpose. Until that's implemented, this is how you want to set it up in LB. 1) Choose your .cue as your rom as normal 2) Go to the emulation tab on your game entry and uncheck "Use an emulator to play this game (primarily for console games) 3) Go to the Additional Apps tab, add a new app, enter SSF application name, browse to SSF.exe for the application path, and check "Automatically Run After Main Application" This will mount your disc, and run SSF with the mounted disc once complete. If multiple games are setup this way, when you run another game, it will mount that disc, overwriting the old one, and run SSF with that mounted disc. If that feature request is implemented you won't have to do any of this, you'll just need to add SSF as a regular emulator and check a box in the emulator details.
Thank you. Will test this as well.

Holy cow, the RocketLauncher trick did work! So, if you have a working RocketLaucher Setup that works with SSF, what you have to do is add RocketLaucher as an emulator and in the associate Platforms tab add Sega Saturn (or whatever name you are using for the system, it could be just Saturn) with this command
-s "Sega Saturn" -r
It just worked for me, of course you will have to setup SSF in RocketLauncher first, this is easy as the AHK file does all the work for you.

The feature needs to be implemented, regardless - there's plenty of us that have no desire to integrate RL in any way to LB. If you're a preexisting RL user, it makes sense, but since I'm not, it's just a whole other rabbit hole that I'm not willing to jump down. I feel like with LB -> Retroarch -> sub core -> game we've got enough layers as it is haha.

The way I launch my Saturn games is similar to @Zombeaver but with a slight difference. First I setup Daemon Tools Lite as an emulator in Launchbox with the Default Command Line Parameters as -mount dt, 0, I then imported all my cue sheets and selected Daemon Tools as the "emulator" for Saturn games. I then created a BAT file in the same folder as ssf.exe just to keep it clean. In the bat file I have the following @echo off start /wait "" "SSF.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -unmount 0 Then for each game go to the additional apps tab add an application and point it to the BAT file and check "Automatically Run After Main Application". No idea if this is better or worse than Zombeavers way but it works for me and it unmounts the disk after it is done. Hopefully the Mednafen Saturn emulator comes along nice and quickly and with great compatibility. SSF is a pain in the ass and Yabause is still way behind.

lordmonkus said Hopefully the Mednafen Saturn emulator comes along nice and quickly and with great compatibility. SSF is a pain in the ass and Yabause is still way behind.
I agree. Actually, even SSF isn't that great because it adds significant input lag, even on my CRT monitor it's pretty noticeable. I have high hopes for Mednafen Saturn because it's an exclusive core as far as i know (not a port of an existing emulator) and so far mednafen's exclusive cores are amazing, like mednafen PSX for instance.

Hmm, I've never really noticed much if any input lag using SSF. Maybe it depends on the game, I really only have a handful of games and Darius Gaiden is the most played and comparing it to Mame it feels about the same which is very responsive. I'm not using a CRT but I am using a high end low input lag Asus G-Sync gaming monitor and compared to my old run of the mill non-gaming monitor it is noticeably better. The Mednafen cores are indeed amazing and if / when the Saturn core gets done and implemented into Retroarch with Hard GPU Sync and shaders it will be awesome.

I haven't noticed any input lag with SSF... might want to post your settings so we can compare. I'm definitely looking forward to Mednafen / Saturn too, but until then (and my guess is it's at least a year before even an early version is publicly available) SSF is the only real option so we just have to deal with the *cough* idiosyncracies of it for the time being.

I use one of the preset profiles in the last tab of the emulator. The one at the bottom that has the best compatibility. SSF's input lag is also reported here (go to known issues): http://segaretro.org/SSF I followed the instruction to reduce the input lag but there's still a lot. The games i'm testing are Duke Nukem 3D and Sega Rally. I have both games on my actual Saturn console and compared them directly. Sega Rally is almost unplayable on SSF for me due to the later response, i just can't drive the car as effectively as in the console. And Duke Nukem is also obvious. When i press the button to shoot there is no delay between my finget tap and Duke shooting at all but with SSF i can even do a fast double tap before he starts shooting. And i'm not even using an LCD, im running the emulator on a CRT PC monitor. Yabause is definitely more responsive.