LaunchBox Community Forums

Additional scrapers discuss thread

CriticalCid

As suggested I open a thread for further discussions about the BitBucket Issue #285: Additional Scraper Options. And in case it’s drowned out by the discussion over there I just want to say that I still think the top priority for the scrapers should be the Arcade-History history.dat, Giantbomb and Mobygames. Every other API would be a nice extra but I think these 3 are very crucial for a best scraping result. I also opened a ticket for (in my opinion) the best way to keep all the new scraper organized and customizable in the scraping process. #339: Add option to customize the priority of the databases before scraping If you have better ideas or improvements to my suggestion feel free to discuss this here too. I also wanna thank @Jason for his hardwork and his commitment to integrate the wishes of his community. Keep up the good work it’s really appreciated Smile

I was interested in seeing GameFAQs implemented, but as you and Sentai said, that is not possible without an official API. Sad, I don't understand why they don't want to implement an API since a lot of popular databases have one. Maybe they don't want to get DDoSd by frontends users hehe. Haven't heard about Arcade-History, I have to confess I am not an Arcade fan but if that fills the gap it would be nice to have it. Your custom prioritizing suggestion is appealing for me, sound very useful.

My theory is they don't want the headache, I am surprised MobyGames is finally developing an API even after the rumors of users being banned from other front ends forcing out the information. GameFaq's main focus is also guides not pure metadata like Moby, Wiki or GamesDB. Downloading all the guides, images, maps and metadata they do have could cause their server costs to skyrocket, not that they probably aren't already high but still. Lack of interest or fear of what it could do to their servers, or both.

I get the impression that Moby changing hands is reason for some of the past drama there, but it's hard to trust what you hear on the Internet, so who knows. I'm in agreement that Moby combined with a good arcade database (that we can include) should be the first priorities. I did include a MAME database (which is used for the new MAME features) in the last couple versions, but it doesn't have everything and I'm guessing isn't as complete as the Arcade-History database. Hopefully going forward we can integrate that data instead, while we wait on the Moby API. I'm not overly familiar with GiantBomb, but I'll review it once we get to that point. :)

• 2 years later...
2 minutes ago, Codeman said:

Any updates on this?

This thread is almost three years old. We don't currently have anything in the works to integrate any other scrapers. Now that the LaunchBox Games Database is so well populated, it doesn't seem to be a priority to users, as I only very rarely hear a request about it.