LaunchBox Community Forums

Bigbox on LinxVision tablet

fzero

Hi. I've the LinxVision tablet with gaming controls. The Launchbox detects the gamepad in the settings and I can navigate using the gamepad dock of the tablet. But when I enter Bigbox Mode all I get is the screen showing and no controls work at all not even touch. It starts up and I hear the intro speech and splash. Then it shows the screen with "Platforms" and under that shows "PC". I've only imported my Steam games so far. It shows the total of my Steam games, 345, though only 3 are installed, and it shows the square thumbnail next to that stat of the PC. Along the bottom it shows thumbs of Recent games, and I can see 3 thumbs here and the forth is cropped at right side of screen... as if I should be able to scroll along to see all my games thumbs. This screen is completely unresponsive though... my gamepad controls don't do anything... I can touch swipe the thumbs or even tap on then to launch the three I can see in view. I have the paid license too btw. Is this a specification issue, is the LinxVision not powerful enough with 2GB RAM?

Touching emulates a mouse pointer, so that should technically work. However, no one has tried getting LaunchBox to work on one of these tablets (I kind of want a Surface Pro 3 with the controller mount on the sides like this one with LaunchBox on it). Looking at the specs, yes that CPU is quite under powered. I dissuaded someone in another thread from buying a PC precisely because the CPU was a 1.8Ghz. There is the benefit of it being Quad-Core... but barely. After 2GB of total RAM, Windows 10 takes up quite a bit of that. 4GB would be a barely in my book. It might be able to run, but also the limit on emulators you're gonna be able to run might be stuck around PS1 / N64... and I am unsure if that is generous or not. Otherwise the controls should work... in LaunchBox (not BigBox) There is an Options menu for controllers. Go in there and make sure its enabled with the right controller selected in the drop down menu.

OK thanks for info. I had already enabled the gamepad under Launchbox but Bigbox Mode just seems to hang as soon as loaded. I suspect you are right and it simply isn't powerful enough. I'll probably sell this tablet and get a little pc to hook up to the telly and will make sure it is a lot more powerful. Cheers

I'm not sure of the gpu but it is Win10 installed on it. Could you please give your opinion on this small pc: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/hp-pavilion-mini-300-130na-desktop-pc-10133646-pdt.html That has an Intel i3 5005U processor. Does that look good enough spec to run Bigbox Mode well for the most part.. any emulators that you think still wouldn't work very well? Though tbh I mainly will be playing Megadrive games and launching through to Steam to play my Steam games

Ah OK. I will pass on that one then. I'm looking at this one now which I can get tomorrow in town. It seems OK as 3.1GHz though not sure how Athlon ones are but this seems to be made for Steam so should be good for me and I can add Launchbox Bigbox Mode as a shortcut in Steam Syber Vapor A PC Gaming Console - Black • AMD R9 270 2GB • Windows 8.1 PLUS Steam Big Picture mode ready • Athlon X4 840 3.1GHz • 4GB of lightening Fast DDR3 RAM • Wi-Fi • 500GB large capacity HDD Thanks for your help

I actually have LaunchBox installed on two tablets and a stick PC one of the tablets and the stick both have 2 GB of RAM the other tablet has 1GB of RAM all have the same Atom processor both of the 2GB of RAM PC's worked adequately with LaunchBox with almost 1000 games added (only front covers in the images though due to SD restrictions) the 1GB of memory tablet worked fine until I added a lot of games and then I was getting out of memory errors from LaunchBox after turning the caching down to almost zero LaunchBox works pretty good on there too. Brad is definitely correct in this limiting which systems you can emulate I have mostly 8 and 16 bit systems on them and they all perform well when trying to go N64 on the 1GB machine it stutters quite a lot and is unplayable. I don't bother with BigBox on my tablet I simply use LB. While it will only play older systems it still makes an awesome handheld with my Ipega telescoping Bluetooth controller. The PC's with the 2GB I haven't tested as thoroughly I know they play all the systems that the 1GB machine does but I don't think I've ever tested N64 or PS1 on them.

Actually I dislike AMD based computers but this is a personal thing, so if you were to ask me if you should get that machine... I would honestly say no. That is just my opinion though. My wife has an AMD GPU and it gives us nothing but trouble (we didn't build it, it was given to us.) However, this is a personal thing. I am trying to not shoot down everything you or anyone else shows me, I will just be honest to what I think. I am trying to give you an unbiased recommendation, so on the technical merits that machine is more than capable to run modern PC Games, LaunchBox, Big Box and all available emulators which currently goes up to Nintendo Wii, PS2, Gamecube and DS. (OG Xbox Emulators exist, but do not function. 360 Emulators do not exist, 3DS emulators do not exist and a PS3 emulator is so deep in to Alpha it plays 1 games menu.)

SentaiBrad said Actually I dislike AMD based computers but this is a personal thing, so if you were to ask me if you should get that machine... I would honestly say no. That is just my opinion though. My wife has an AMD GPU and it gives us nothing but trouble (we didn't build it, it was given to us.) However, this is a personal thing. I am trying to not shoot down everything you or anyone else shows me, I will just be honest to what I think. I am trying to give you an unbiased recommendation, so on the technical merits that machine is more than capable to run modern PC Games, LaunchBox, Big Box and all available emulators which currently goes up to Nintendo Wii, PS2, Gamecube and DS. (OG Xbox Emulators exist, but do not function. 360 Emulators do not exist, 3DS emulators do not exist and a PS3 emulator is so deep in to Alpha it plays 1 games menu.)
Just a heads up! Xenia, a 360 emulator and Citra, a 3DS emulator are actually a thing and both are even in a more advanced state than RPCS3! Also there is a WiiU emulator called Cemu and man, that thing is crazy, they are progressing faster than any other emulator I have seen and that its due to AMD. AMD disclosed the WiiU's GPU documentation so the CEMU developer is able to do this. (Some people speculate he also has access to "leaked" WiiU documentation). 2015 was exciting for emulation and 2016 will be better, probably. Here are the websites for each emulator if you want to check them: http://xenia.jp/ http://citra-emu.org/ http://cemu.info/ They are all malware free so far and they are daily discussed at https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/new/

I know about Citra and the 360 Emulator but I was under the impression they were were worse off than the PS3 one. At least I know the 3DS one is worth absolutely nothing right now. I knew Wii U was being worked on very fast paced, I just haven't been keeping up with it. Writing tutorials for Jason, trying to do some Freelance editing and keep up with my YouTube channel, its actually a wonder I can be in the forums as much as I am. Probably cause I end up never leaving my computer as a result... X_X

SentaiBrad said I know about Citra and the 360 Emulator but I was under the impression they were were worse off than the PS3 one. At least I know the 3DS one is worth absolutely nothing right now. I knew Wii U was being worked on very fast paced, I just haven't been keeping up with it. Writing tutorials for Jason, trying to do some Freelance editing and keep up with my YouTube channel, its actually a wonder I can be in the forums as much as I am. Probably cause I end up never leaving my computer as a result... X_X
You better get a good ergonomic chair man, or your back will be destroyed...

SentaiBrad said My back is already not fantastic. :P The chair I got is awesome though, we spent a decent amount on it recently.
Do whatever you can to prevent the issues to become chronic. And congrats on your chair, I really think its the most important "peripheral?". Sorry to the OP for going offtopic!

CliveBarker said
DOS76 said I've been reading about Cemu too and have to admit its pretty exciting I can't wait until it is ready to go.
I have to admit that I don't have any idea about the Wii U game catalog. Are there any good games there?
There are fantastic games on there, I own several of them. With the exception of this year, Nintendo's average metacritic score is usually above 88 across the board. That is generally unheard of. They make fun games that WORK on day one. Also, just because these emulators are being worked on actively right now it can take a long time for it to become playable with decent speeds and compatibility let alone perfectly. Look at how long the N64 emulators have been in development and how bad they can still be. PCSX2 and PPSSPP were conceived and damn near nearly perfected in half the time Mupen or Project64 have been on the market. xD Sometimes it's a smooth process, other times not so much. It's still going to take years regardless, so keep that in mind.