LaunchBox Community Forums

PC Engine Missing / Import amrking

DR9

When I import roms and I use the pull down list to match the system I dont see under N or P "NEC PC Engine" Side note when importing can the program mark (Japan) or (Europe) if its on the filename already? Makes seeing what is a non USA game sometimes.

Games DB uses TurboGrafx 16 for all PC Engine games (I don't know why I wish they were separate catagories myself) I've never done this but I think it would be your best option import your PC-Engine games under TG16 (if you don't already have a TG16 platform added if so this won't work). Once the games run through the GamesDB I know they at least find some of the Japanese games but not close to all plus games with TG16 counterparts will probably need the covers changed to their Japanese version but at least you will have some metadata. Then you would use the bulk edit wizard and change the platform from TurboGrafx to NEC PC-Engine. As to your second question at this time anything in side of () or [] will be left out of the Title LaunchBox names the games and if you were to remove those symbols then the GDB wouldn't recognize the names of your game and you would get no metadata for those games.

I would say just import it and leave it at TurboGrafx 16 (or what ever the official name is) because it can lead to some issues. Say you do import, change the name then run the metadata tool again later. If a game is found with the other platform it will change the name back to the name convention they are using (and honestly quite common). As well, the platform name under Associated Platforms needs to be the same as the name in the left pane (What you name that system) or it can break emulators and some wont launch. Retro Arch needs them to be the same because of the command line parameters.

That's all well and good but everyone doesn't necessarily want their TurboGrafx 16 games to display with their PC-Engine games. Personally I don't want TurboGrafx CD games to display with TG16 or my PC-Engine CD to display with the regular games it all depends on what your preference is I know my games all work with 5 different Platforms and 2 different emulators but I didn't change the platform I added them as PC-Engine, PC-Engine CD SuperGrafx, TuroboGrafx CD and then added all the box art manually I wish I would have thought of the other method first to save time and effort.

I've created a ticket on Bitbucket for this problem a while ago. Feel free to vote it up so it gets a higher priority for Jason to integrate it. https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/334/add-nec-pc-engine-pc-engine-cd-and There's also a ticket for integrating region based metadata/artwork import: https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/314/differentiate-between-and-scrape-metadata

CriticalCid the only issue with that is its the GamesDB that keeps the games like that so even if Jason added emulators in the list for the different systems the metadata would still be lacking because when you scrape the games DB for PC-Engine there wouldn't be any results.

That's the reason why I created a ticket and not just added the systems by myself. Jason only has to tell LaunchBox that the scraper should search in the TGDB Turbografx-16 category when you import PC-Engine games. He already did the exact same thing with other platforms like the Super Famicom and it works perfectly fine...

I've only done Famicom Disk System for Japanese Nintendo games and the results were dismal so if he has that implemented to search the NES/Famicom section of TGDB there must just not be many games on there to begin with. This is my experience with most Japanese games. Mostly if you want the images for these you have to go get them yourself. Case in point TGDB only has 355 TG16 games close to 150 of those are TurboGrafix games from the US (Almost all of the US games are in the DB) that leaves a little over 200 games that are on their but there are 68 PC-Engine CD games that start with the letter S so we are talking 200 plus out of probably close 700 games (there are over 450 CD games alone listed on EmuP) which still leaves a ton of work to do.

Game titles and descriptions are in English. Even so it seems to be a pretty good source of data for some things you maybe struggling to find I bookmarked it in my toolbar emulator folder. It has a good PC-Engine section with images with both US and Japanese games cover being represented.