LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox and Internet Browsers

gradientpixel

Hopefully this is in the right thread category. Smile Few weeks ago I was toying on the idea of having LB launching movies from Netflix to be specific. Some may know this but all that needs to be done is to create a custom "platform" named ie "Movies" to categorize the links. Afterwards, I added the link via the process of adding a new rom. After putting whatever title you want and finding the custom platform of Movies in details, you just need to add the complete URL in the file location. This will then launch the link through the default browser setup. If anyone wants I can add the step by step process. My question is when LB launches the link is there a way to pass a function/method of the key F11 to fullscreen the browser through LB? I know it probably is doable through creating a batch script and have LB run that program once the link has been open but wanted to check if LB had some ability within that.

Dude, that's awesome. Do you know if there is a way to have LaunchBox just launch a regular .exe that isn't a game in either the windows or steam folders, etc. I'm thinking specifically of having it launch Chrome. My comp is hooked up to my television in the living room and I'm trying to like never see the desktop. :D

Yes, use the Add button in the bottom right corner of LaunchBox. Gradient, it depends on what you are launching. Launching the Windows 10 Netflix app is already in fullscreen, use a program like DisplayFusion to have it always load on which ever screen you want and that's a solution. Though this is just an alternate solution. How did you add the link? Creating an HTML link shortcut and launch that? If so, find your browsers command line parameters, edit the "Game", or in this case the Netflix link, and on the first tab is command line parameters. Knowing the command line argument should launch it in fullscreen.

That was actually what I had setup as my first attempt to launch when I ran Netflix. I haven't been able to play around with it anymore yet. All I did was set the file path to browse where Chrome's .exe file is located. The downside of that is I could not figure out how to pass a website through LB into Chrome. So far the simplest idea seems to create small scripts for what website you want to launch (haven't tried but would seem to work). Below is an example script to launch Google:
@echo start chrome.exe http://www.google.com @end
If you do not know how to create batch scripts, just create a new text document place, for example that code, in the document and save it as something like GoogleStart.bat. Just make sure you are changing the file extension and not naming it 'GoogleStart.bat.txt' After that just have you custom platform made to categorize what you are launching and add the "Roms" in with a title and point to the batch file for the rom file path. Also make sure that you have each set to NOT run by an emulator in the Emulation tab when you edit the "Rom." Note: If you are wanting to do this with Netflix make sure you copy the link of when the video is playing to have it auto play. It will not be in full screen however.

SentaiBrad said Gradient, it depends on what you are launching. Launching the Windows 10 Netflix app is already in fullscreen, use a program like DisplayFusion to have it always load on which ever screen you want and that's a solution. Though this is just an alternate solution. How did you add the link? Creating an HTML link shortcut and launch that? If so, find your browsers command line parameters, edit the "Game", or in this case the Netflix link, and on the first tab is command line parameters. Knowing the command line argument should launch it in fullscreen.
I was trying to launch Google Chrome. As I mentioned I first tried passing the URL (which I had as the filepath for the "game") and tried launching it with an "emulator" which I had pointing to Chrome.exe. This just gave me an error saying the game could not be found. The way I did get it to work was just create a custom platform as Movies and added like I would by adding a rom one at a time to where all the game details are blank. The only fields I put info in was the title and the game file path was the full url including http:// I also made sure that the "game" was not running through emulation. Hope this makes sense. If not, I can submit screenshots of it later. EDIT: Thanks Brad, I did not even think to look for the switches. I was able to find the switch for Chrome launching in fullscreen. FYI it is --start-fullscreen and here is a link of other switches if any wants to play around with other things. http://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-command-line-switches/

• 2 weeks later...
No, it is technically not legal. Abondonware doesn't mean it is legal, it means that the rights holder doesn't care to support or go after someone redistributing it. Donkey Kong is very very very protected from Nintendo. You can also buy modern versions of it on Nintendo platforms. So I am going to have to remove that link.

Sentaibrad - i`am not sure - in german websites - the "archive.org" is named as "legal". you can´t download the games - only stream for gaming. The entry in launchbox is only a link to a website. But i`am not an advocat ( i`am a "only" a gamer) - also delete the post and sry for the circumstances. by the way the donkey kong game in archive.org is from 1983- i scrapped the wrong pics and description. gerhard from 2006: http://archive.org/post/82097/internet-archive-helps-secure-exemption-to-the-digital-millennium-copyright-act Das Internet-Archiv archive.org hat einen „juristischen Sieg“ gegen den DMCA errungen und darf jetzt Computerspiele und andere Software archivieren, endlich ohne Befürchtung, verklagt zu werden. In einem Forumsbeitrag werden die Details bekanntgegeben: This is a happy moment, but on the other hand this exception is so limited it leaves the overall draconian nature of the DMCA in effect. […] More formally, Internet Archive has successfully advocated for an exemption to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”). The DMCA prohibits circumvention of technological measures employed by or on behalf of copyright owners to protect their works (“access controls”). Specifically, 17 U.S.C. §1201(a)(1)(A) provides, in part, that “No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title.”

It doesn't matter what other websites say it is, it is a giant grey area of law. Unless someone goes to court over this exact permientation and there is a verdict and there for precedent then we need to operate carefully. Regardless, Nintendo owns and still protects "Donkey Kong", and you can even purchase the game legally from them, at a good price and very easily. In the realm of the United States where our server is located, United States law prevails, regardless of your country of origin. I really am not trying to be mean or anything, so I greatly apologize if I came off that way, but Archive.org is not a legal representation of video games. They're doing a good thing in preserving the games, but regardless of if they let you download or stream the game they technically do not own the rights to do so. It is part of my job to try and protect our website, and after PayPal and Google decided to become jerks to us we've grown a bit more protective.

Yeah I personally am a history buff and like historical things and I think that the law and the way they handle old and outdated software is beyond draconian but that is my personal opinion Brad as an agent of Unbroken Software is just trying to keep them out of any legal BS so no links its not that big a deal its just the way of things work to best protect the site. That's why we need a PM system added to the site

Yea, I love Museums, and websites and organizations trying to archive and preserve gaming for our future, but the law is murky and I just don't want our forums attacked. The likely hood of that happening I will admit is super super low, but as we grow it is something we need to be conscious about. I'm not gonna delete posts, or ban people or anything like that. I even said "archive.org" in several posts, but actively linking is a line that I have to draw. It is sadly something we've gotta do. If someone released something for free, like Bethesda did with Elder Scrolls 1 and 2, they released it for free, then I would link that all day long. If someone posted a link on where to download Elder Scrolls 5, I would remove that in a heartbeat. Abondonware is legally not a thing, but it is in such a state that some games rights aren't held anymore by anyone, they've not supported the games for so long or you can not easily purchase them. Chances are no ones going to come after you, but until there is a concrete legal precedent I just want to protect our community. For the record too, even Jason has said before that he thinks I am being over protective, but he admits we are beholden to other peoples whims.