LaunchBox Community Forums

Greetings.

fromlostdays

New to the forums, new to Launchbox. In fact, I haven't even installed it yet. I happened upon it at work about 30 minutes ago. Needless to say, I can't wait to get home. Just thought I'd introduce myself, since I'll probably be on the forums a lot looking for answers. I've been building/using Hyperspin for the last 4-5 years, and Rocketlauncher since it was still called HyperLaunch. Obviously I'm a huge retrogamer, and I absolutely cannot wait to get started with this. Just by looking at the site I can already say thank you to the developers and also the users who seem to be about as excited as I am. Cheers.

Welcome! Be sure to check the LaunchBox youtube tutorial channel, there are a lot of great tips there. You can check the collections sub forum if you want to take a little inspiration to build your library. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSIht6UXIEXIgz4eXAEShxA https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/collections Cheers

Welcome @fromlostdays. We're really happy to have Hyperspin users switching over; currently working on adding any missing features that Hyperspin users are used to/rely on. I think the only big one that keeps coming up that is left is a lack of automatic decompression of ROM archives (7-zip, zip, RAR). We're hoping to add that soon. Other than that, things should go smoothly for you. I'm always looking for feedback, testing, suggestions, etc. I'll look forward to seeing you around. :)

Thanks! But just to put it in perspective no one uses HyperSpin to launch games. What it does well is look and sound awesome, rom decompression certainly isn't handled by HyperSpin. HyperSpin calls out to either hyperlaunch or rocketlauncher (both designed by the same people) and require a lot of time to setup. Last night I had Launchbox gently holding my hand through configuration and after 10 minutes of scrapping, had a handsome UI to play games from. Launchbox: "Would you like to use snes9x, a highly recommended emulator for snes. I'll even show you the download link." Me: "Nah, I use Retroarch." Launchbox: "I got you! Here's the link in case you need to download it, also, its pretty much ready to go once you tell me where it is." Me: "Uhhhhh.... okay... that frees up my evening....." Launchbox: "Can I make you some coffee or something?"

fromlostdays said Launchbox: "Would you like to use snes9x, a highly recommended emulator for snes. I'll even show you the download link." Me: "Nah, I use Retroarch." Launchbox: "I got you! Here's the link in case you need to download it, also, its pretty much ready to go once you tell me where it is." Me: "Uhhhhh.... okay... that frees up my evening....." Launchbox: "Can I make you some coffee or something?"
Now imagine that with HAL 9000's voice, Dave.

Hehehe, @fromlostdays, I know that about Hyperspin and Rocket Launcher, guess I just didn't say it right. This is extra funny because I've had another project lying in limbo for over a year (LaunchBox takes priority and I've got plenty to do). It's voice recognition software that talks back to you... ;)