LaunchBox Community Forums

Combine different versions into one box

apathy

I have different versions of roms and because of this, there are multiple entries with the same box and name in my collection. I was wondering if it was possible to: 1. I would like to be able to have the roms listed and consolidated under one box. 2. I want to be able to click the title and have it bring up a list and allow me to select which version I'd want to run. Is this possible?

Actually if you mean the different roms for the same game under the same platform like a V1.1 and a V1.2 an alt version or a hack then you can set the other games up as an additional app for the main ROM and right click on the box it will give you the option to launch whichever version that you want to play at the moment.

DOS76 said Actually if you mean the different roms for the same game under the same platform like a V1.1 and a V1.2 an alt version or a hack then you can set the other games up as an additional app for the main ROM and right click on the box it will give you the option to launch whichever version that you want to play at the moment.
I'd like this give this a try. Could you list instructions or be more specific please?

Ok its pretty simple take the main version of the game that is in LaunchBox (or at least that is how I prefer to do it but you can actually choose any version you want) right click it and go into edit. When the edit window opens you will see a group of tabs in the lower half of the window the second one in will be additional apps. Click that tab then click add application when the new window opens name your additional app then point to the path of your app (I would suggest checking the use emulator check box before entering the path this way your ROMs will show up in the list if you use the browse button) after you choose your ROM click ok and rinse and repeat for as many versions you want to add to that game close it out then right click the game again and all of your additional apps will be listed in the context menu.

DOS76 said Ok its pretty simple take the main version of the game that is in LaunchBox (or at least that is how I prefer to do it but you can actually choose any version you want) right click it and go into edit. When the edit window opens you will see a group of tabs in the lower half of the window the second one in will be additional apps. Click that tab then click add application when the new window opens name your additional app then point to the path of your app (I would suggest checking the use emulator check box before entering the path this way your ROMs will show up in the list if you use the browse button) after you choose your ROM click ok and rinse and repeat for as many versions you want to add to that game close it out then right click the game again and all of your additional apps will be listed in the context menu.
Thank you for the instructions! :)

• 2 years later...

How do you reverse the process? Take multiple apps and expand them out to a box for each one with the title showing you USA version, Japan version, etc.? I know there was an option somewhere, maybe where you import the roms, that asks if you want one game image for multiple roms. Also, I made a feature suggestion, but it would be really nice to have a visual indicator for games that have multiple versions. For example and overlay in the graphical space that hold the box image, say a circle with a number in it like "3" for three versions of this game. Then you would know you could right click it to run one of the other versions

LOL. Thanks Neil, that was easy enough. And if it expands out 2 more versions for a total of 3 and I decide to put them back under one again, it looks like I just cntrl-click each one to have them all highlighted and select "combine selected games" (cntrl-shift-c).  I am still amazed at how much was thought through and implemented in LB. I tried several front ends and thought I really liked one until I tried LB/BB. It is just phenomenal. And so is the support and user forums.

I also notice that LB seems to count your number of games by how many menu items there are. So if you have multiple games under 1 image, it only counts that game as one in the "diplaying xx of xxxxx total games". So if you don't expand the games, the count won't represent how many roms you have, just how many you display in one launch image.

• 5 months later...

That is amazing option, and I have been using it to import my TV shows, like for example I made Stargate Atlantis as main game, and than make episodes as additional apps, Like ep 1 s 1, ep 2 s 2, etc...  I have question, is there anyway to rename additional apps to call for example EPISODES, and if so how you can do that without affecting other games?  Thanks