LaunchBox Community Forums

TheGamesDB down ?

darrenj1982

I am a Systems engineer for managed services and was searching for info too. I got tired of the gamesdb being offline every time i need it. When the gamesdb is online i am scraping it all and setting up my own on an openstack vm which is distributed over two locations. Varnish cache frontend and memcached caching. The webserver api is complete. When i scrape i will set it online and you are all welcome to use it. It consists of only 5 endpoints and a much better rest interface. The images are also encoded base64 and will be included in the endpoints response. GET /platforms GET /platforms/@platform GET /platforms/@platform/games GET /platforms/@platform/games/@game GET /search?q=@term Give me a heads up if you want to use it. If there is interest i will make it all public. If not then i won't ))) Note: if others want to use it too then I will include monitoring with a SMS service. When an endpoint is unreachable i will get an SMS and fix it.

Thanks Dany. I actually did the same thing; the LocalDB in LaunchBox is a complete copy of all the metadata from TheGamesDB that I distribute with LaunchBox. That said, it would be great to have a mirror of all the images; obviously I can't distribute the images with LaunchBox. So yeah, definitely interested in that. :)

I think you misunderstand. I created a completely new and restructured database in MongoDB with a easier json api. This is without all the redundant xml. The system also uses gridFS for the images. So no normal file storage like you are used to. I can give you access to my test system if you want, Jason. You will see it is much better and more responsive.